Not much news around the world

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Not much news around the world

Post by Grandad »

All seems to be relatively quiet around the world at the present time. The refugee situation seems to have become no longer headline news, touching wood, no major terrorist attacks or gun crazy yanks going berserk.

But tomorrow is new years eve and hopefully intelligence is such that any threatened attacks can be nipped in the bud. A grandson is taking his girlfriend to London for a day in town then see the fireworks. We have suggested that they avoid restaurants and have their meals in the hotel. Perhaps being over cautious and in the end they will do what they want to....

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Not much news around the world

Post by Horus »

I reckon the refugee situation is only down to it being Winter in that part of the world which stops the small boats, no doubt that it will all kick in again in the Spring unless we act to prevent it. Regarding terrorists, well no doubt the unified action is having some impact on them, but an attack in a city is almost impossible to stop completely. So far our security services are doing a good job, but it only takes one to get through the net and there are plenty of them out there and even within our own populations who will try. I really do think it is time that we acted with extreme prejudice against anyone involved in the home grown stuff, deportation after imprisonment, deportation of all their family and relatives, cessation of all financial aid to dependants etc. it may sound severe, but I will bet that after a few headline examples are made that many 'wannabees' will think twice about their future actions. So on a gloomier note I don't suppose 2016 will bring anymore joy on those two fronts than in previous years, although I do predict that there will be a lot more dissent in Europe over immigration with Germany in particular starting to get open opposition to its policies. Meanwhile the Russians will keep doing what they are doing and in a perverse sort of way this may well stimulate the West in general to get a bit more involved in getting rid of Daesh and maybe even ignoring the Asad must go mentality that seems to be the biggest stumbling block in dealing with the Daesh scum.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

All does seem relatively quiet in the world. We're taking all the refugees we can get and I'm only hoping and praying the ones we take are all educated and skilled professionals who WILL contribute to Canada. The last ones on our TV news that I saw coming in where NOT wearing any headscarves and looked quite European vs Middle Eastern.

AND - as a piece of trivia - remember the photo of the little 3yr old boy lying dead on the beach and photos of the Soldier carrying him? Well his extended family has now arrived HERE. Here being the lower mainland area not the Island. The relatives here have successfully sponsored the family (none wearing headscarves and all dressed like you and me) and it showed a fairly nice furnished apartment they are going to and lots of photos of hugs and tears and kisses. The trivia is that apparently the Dad who put his family on that boat to get to Greece to get new teeth etc is SO UPSET he was unable to make the trip to Canada! So he is still behind wherever the family came from with photos of him crying against a wall face buried in his arms refusing to look at the camera.

I think the saga of Daesh will continue and it is going to pop up here and there and rear its ugly head and will continue to do so until WE take a global approach and make it so undesireable for anybody to be a member of this group that it will implode and die a social death. IMO the only way to fight this is to make not only the Daesh recruit responsible but their entire family as well. This will put the onus onto the family to be looking at itself and taking action to control the family member. This crew in San Bernadino knew exactly what was going on with this couple yet did nothing. They didn't report, didn't try to stop it. They initially denied they knew anything at all but the inside of this couples house was FULL of guns, explosives, munitions and there was absolutely no way you could not know this was not normal.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Obviously no-one is seeing all the phone videos being posted on the net about the chaos in europe. Heads in the sand people and hope it goes away . .
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jay I do see a lot of that stuff when I look on your FB page but there is little or nothing that I can do about it. If that means I have my head in the sand then so be it. They are problems that can only be resolved, if there is a will to do so, by higher authorities than the likes of me and my peers.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have to agree with Grandad, there is little that I or anyone else can do about it other than to complain. Eventually it will come to a head as all these things do and it will either be too late or mayhem will ensue
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I see it, know it is there, think it is horrific, feel bad about it, am concerned it could be coming here and if there was something tangible I could do I'd do it.

I think we all need to balance our lives with taking care of 'us' in a personal sense and then being out there and aware of what is going on in the world but none of us is personally equipped to change that which we can't so when appropriate to get the best "bang for the buck" then act or say something. If you develop a reputation for chasing after anything and everything and this reputation becomes minimized and your voice diluted as the 'nut case' that complains about everything.

Guess it give credence to "pick your battles." I have been in Gov't and I definitely know they do look at people and will arbitrarily judge you based on how they perceive you without knowing anything else.

I will say I was surprised we got through Christmas and New Years without another Nutcase going crazy and shooting up a restaurant or theater. It was in the back of my mind that something 'could' happen but am very glad 2016 came in quietly (with the exception of Dubai and the hotel fire).