Global Warming

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Global Warming

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In light of the big Conference that is happening now in France - Do you really believe in Global Warming?

Is this really an issue that caused the war in Syria as President Obama indicates? Are we all really going to be treading water in the coming years and is there really anything we're going to be able to do globally to stop it?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Global Warming

Post by Mad Dilys »

The Long Summer - How climate changed civilization, by Brian Fagen explains it pretty well to me in well researched layman's terms.

Here's the description of the book on Amazon

Humanity evolved in an Ice Age in which glaciers covered much of the world. But starting about 15,000 years ago, temperatures began to climb. Civilization and all of recorded history occurred in this warm period, the era known as the Holocene-the long summer of the human species. In The Long Summer, Brian Fagan brings us the first detailed record of climate change during these 15,000 years of warming, and shows how this climate change gave rise to civilization. A thousand-year chill led people in the Near East to take up the cultivation of plant foods; a catastrophic flood drove settlers to inhabit Europe; the drying of the Sahara forced its inhabitants to live along the banks of the Nile; and increased rainfall in East Africa provoked the bubonic plague. The Long Summer illuminates for the first time the centuries-long pattern of human adaptation to the demands and challenges of an ever-changing climate-challenges that are still with us today.

Fascinating, non political stuff. I recommend it.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I live on the higher ground just off the Cheshire Plain, a large flat expanse when seen from my home. If global warming results in a severe rise in sea levels then bring it on, mainly because I will have a lovely sea view and somewhere to moor a boat, :D it should also put a few quid on the value of my property :up ……….. Selfish? Well yes ;)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Lovely, Horus, I live on highish ground too. I really think their silly conference is just an excuse for a feed and boozing on taxpayers money. The mess the planet is in, what does it matter ?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Beijing is nice right now (if you have a death wish) A reporter on the TV said that every hour in the current Beijing Smog will reduce your life expectancy by 20 minutes. Probably cheaper than Dignitas :lol: :lol:

I have no time for the Global Warming pundits.....just a ruse to find projects to keep employment high. It is evolution in my book.

Although wind farms and solar farms are being built on the pretext of saving the planet; all they do IS provide some employment and, more importantly, start to find alternative sources of energy because the earths resources are declining. But it is still done under the guise of global warming.

And as for global warming being responsible for the troubles in Syria, well we need a few nut heads around to lighten the seriousness of the Syrian crisis.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It baffles me all these wind farms, surely in the UK at least it is windy enough on most days, so why make it worse and to waste all that electricity in powering those great big fans just to make more wind is a waste of money if you ask me. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - thanks for the tip on the book. Will see if I can find it in the library and/or on Amazon and give it a read.

I'm personally aware that when I was a child the snow was up as high as the hydro lines and now that area is lucky to get a few flakes of the white stuff ...... (WHICH brings to mind do we think Keefy is going to start the snow on here soon?) We do seem to be getting warmer. IF we actually tip the scales to where Mom Nature figures it is irreversible are we really going to be able to bring it back.

The climate seems to be getting warmer but I'm sure my own life span isn't even a blip on the back of a mosquito in terms of us warming up.

I wish we're re-frame this entire Global Warming to "Reduce Pollution" and talk about how to stop polluting.