Another death knell for Tourism

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Another death knell for Tourism

Post by Horus »

News feeds are now reporting this suicide bombing at Karnak Temple in Luxor:
A suicide bomb attack has been carried out on an ancient site popular with tourists in the Egyptian city of Luxor.

The explosion happened at the Temple of Karnak, which alongside the pyramids, is one of the most popular destinations for foreign visitors.

A security source has told the state news agency no tourists were injured in the attack, although four Egyptians were wounded.

Police claim to have foiled two other suicide attacks which also targeted the site next to the Nile.

Two insurgents were killed and a third wounded, according to the Interior Ministry.

It is the first attack on a tourist attraction in Luxor since 1997, when Islamic militants killed 58 people after opening fire on tourists at the city's 3,400-year-old Hatshepsut Temple.

Tourism is vital to Luxor which is home to some of Egypt's most famous ancient temples and pharaohs' tombs, including that of King Tutankhamun.

It had been hit by the downturn in visitors as a result of the unrest following the 2011 revolution, which toppled Hosni Mubarak, although this was starting to show signs of recovery.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack but Islamic militants will be suspected.

So you can safely say goodbye to any turnup in tourism for a few more years to come, no doubt the usual suspects will be trying to play it down and saying that Luxor is just as safe as anywhere else, but the truth is it is not. Obviously it has now become the target of militant extremists once again and no one in there right mind will want to holiday there, it is not just the fear of being killed by a bomb that will put people off as much as being the victim of some other atrocity that these peole love to inflict, such as cutting your head off. I would say that property prices in Luxor must have taken a steep dive today and selling property there must be almost impossible now, once these things start up they will be very difficult to stop and it should not just be tourists who are concerned, once that source of threat dries up (as it surely will) then they will look around for new targets. 8)

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: Another death knell for Tourism

Post by Jayway »

Crossed my mind that the King of Jorff must be wishing he had sold up long ago - - I expect its the free electric and water thats keeping him there, the imminent threat of death hasnt sunk in . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, apparently he's still got Superdog and a piece of 2x4. What could go wrong?

On second thoughts had he moved to Luxor when poor Kevin had his problems? Ignorance is bliss.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It may be more a case of trying to tough it out because the alternative is going to be very costly indeed, if you cannot move then you are stuck with what you have now and you can hardly rubbish the place or speak your real mind, rock and a hard place comes to mind. The sensible ones have all rented their places and can move if the situation becomes worse, I have to admit that although I have been to and lived in some dodgy places around the world, I would now be planning my exit strategy. It seems to me that it is steadily getting worse on the security front, where once it was contained in the Northern Sinai region it seems to be creeping outwards from Cairo and indeed parts of central Egypt that are known hotspots. It will only take one group or individual to step up the atrocity level and those that can will be leaving in droves, it is a crying shame that it has started to come to this all over again and I bet many would welcome the return of Mubarak. I had always hoped that one day I would visit Egypt again as I really love the history, the sites and the people, alas I think I may not make it again in my lifetime the way things are going. 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is all over the news here this morning re: suicide bomber in Luxor so am sure anybody contemplating a holiday there is putting Luxor on the back burner unless you've already paid and can't possibly get a refund. 'Tis indeed a close to final death knell for the area.

Hate to say "I told you so" and I derive no pleasure whatsoever in Luxor receiving another blow or continuing blow but this atrocity is probably close to the final nail in the proverbial coffin. I still vividly recall several of us on here a few years back when it all started trying to post warnings about exit strategies and the idea of 'best to get out now' and being totally shouted down, dismissed and basically told to 'bugger off' amidst adamant statements that "Luxor is SAFE!"

Anyway it is sad that it has come to this and, to be very honest, I'm a bit surprise that it has taken this long for a bombing to happen. I've actually expected something extremely heinous to have already happened and to me it is just a matter of time 'til a few Expats are grabbed and subjected to some extremely dire consequences. The barbarians that are perpetrating these unpleasant attacks are everywhere and again, to me, the Expats seem easy picking yet would garner ISIS some pretty extensive world coverage. Am also equally sure if it hits the fan the Egyptian authorities aren't going to go out of their way to protect a bunch of Expats over their own people and can't say all the different Governments in the world who have Expats in Luxor are going to be sending in the troops on rescue missions either.

Common sense seems to have gone out the window for many left in Luxor and I guess economics also comes in to play. If you've sunk your life savings there then I guess you can only rely on 2x4 lumber and a yappy dog cause to protect your investment.

I dearly love Trinidad, have lived there, have multi friends and visit(ed) often but these past few years has really shown a sharp rise in crime to the point you can't safely walk down city streets so sadly I'm just not there visiting as much as before. All plans of having a second home there have likewise passed. Life is too short to gamble with your life and IMO it is only sensible to enjoy the day and the moment vs having to live in a fortress and worry about being constantly 'on guard' and/or literally losing your head!

I have to say I have not been to Egypt at all post-revolution. I only experienced the time of Mubarak's rule and, to me in hindsight (qualifying this that I'm NOT Egyptian so didn't have to live UNDER his rule) the country seemed stable and ok. I honestly can't tell if people generally are better off without him.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Re your last comment, from my perspective I cannot see anything that is better since he was deposed :st
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Re your last comment, from my perspective I cannot see anything that is better since he was deposed :st
Me either which is why I was trying to say that 'maybe' for some groups of Egyptian people life could be better but I'm personally unaware of how any have benefited since he was deposed. Granted I'm on the outside looking in but seems anybody leading any of the Middle Eastern countries has to be ruthlessly strong and driven.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This bombing definitely blew over fast here. It was on the news the day it happened with discussion but this story evaporated like the dew on my front yard and hasn't returned here since - so - am actually thinking the impact on tourism is going to be relatively minimal.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

And now Thomsons have cancelled their weekly flight to Luxor (on Wednesdays) at least until the end of the year. Egyptair still have one direct flight on Mondays from Heathrow but how much longer will that be viable?

Sounds as if Luxor has started on a regressive road. We have sadly cancelled any plans to go there in October. :(
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Since Luxor isn't going to happen is it too early to ask where else might be on the agenda? Do you think you'll stay relatively local or might you venture further afield?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, the plan was Luxor in October then the Canaries over Christmas. Nothing is yet set in stone though. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Canaries sound interesting! I envy that you have so many destinations 'close' to choose from ;) What does the criteria look like you're using to choose? Do you have set criteria or do you sort of pick a spot on a whim and then look to see what is available?

Personally I enjoy most going to cities that hold historical significance so I can cruise the churches, museums and shops (not clothing stores) during the day and retire back to a comfortable hotel in the evenings. Having a swimming pool handy is quite nice too ;) ;) and I will definitely chose a place with a pool over a place that doesn't have one.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, you are correct that we have many destinations within fairly short flight times. The whole of Europe is within about 3 hours and if you stretch to about 7 you include Egypt and all of the middle east.

We now try to keep to around 3 hours (although Luxor is five and a half). We like city breaks of 4 or 5 nights. None planned at present but Rome and Barcelona are on the list, and a return to Istanbul is highly likely.

We have not been away at Christmas for some years but will probably go to La Palma, one of the Canary Isles over this Christmas period. It should be comfortable low twenties. We have never been to the Canaries and they have not appealed to us but I have found a hotel on La Palma that looks very good.

A pool is not too essential unless we are on a mainly sun and sea holiday. We still have destinations in the UK to explore and we will follow Horus's tracks in a couple of weeks. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad ...Rome is a must & base yourselves around Rome only if your going for anything between 5-7 days, so much to see :)

I would advise you to buy your entry tickets online before hand, saves on the very long queues :(