Harry POTTER

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Harry POTTER

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Has anybody followed the Harry Potter saga? I have to confess I've never read a singular book. I've watched as the Harry Potter phenomenon took over but personally I've never read a book or watched a movie.

Am I missing something? Is Harry P (I know it is a childrens book) a worthwhile read? And are the movies worth a watch? As the last one is coming out or IS out there is a huge hoopla about Harry Potter here.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The films are OK if you like a bit of fantasy :) and they are quite well made. Like anything there is alot of hype, but many people including Mrs H enjoy watching them on the TV, in fact there is one showing as we speak! :roll:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting H. As a child I fell in love with all the Narnia stories and adventures. Even watched the most recent as well as other movies and did truly enjoy that fantasy. Just never got hooked on Harry P but now that it is coming to a close I'm sort of mulling if I should start reading the books?

Just my luck - I'm always coming in at the 'end' of an era! :)

Here they've been having Harry Potter marathons at the cinemas and movie theatres for quite a while awaiting the build up of this latest release.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am not so sure I could read one of the books, in fact I am certain I couldn't, :roll: it would bore me to death. However the earlier films were well made and not as dark as the later ones, they have certainly spared no money in making them. I compare them to say a 'Star Wars' film, would the book be as good to read? would your own imagination be able to create the weapons, robots, creatures and the spectacular fantasy worlds they inhabit in the films without having first seen the movie?

Now counter this with a book such as the original 'Dracular' by Bram Stoker, I have yet to see a film that could compete with my own vivid imagination when reading that particular book on a dark night, I could scare myself. :worry: I think that the HP books fall into the Star Wars category in so much as the films make them special rather than the story, but other may disagree.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Harry Potter

Post by Jayway »

I have read the books and enjoyed them. Liked the first film best, as the actors were such small children and the effects were brilliant. Yet to see the new film - long queues at the cinema. Thought the Potter films were good - I did nod off in a Starwars film - :? My favourite film is Kevin Costner in "Waterworld" - loved his boat :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah I liked Waterworld too. Was neat and all the effects were pretty good.

The only book and movie that I've ever read that equals each other was "Gone with the Wind."

Typically I either seem to like the book or movie but not both.

Harry Potter is just chalking up the $$$ here. Long lines everywhere to get into the cinema to see the shows.
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Ordinarily I prefer a book to a movie for all the same reasons that H outlines. However I don't feel the same about the Harry Potter books. The first two are OK but after the success of the first two, JK Rowling became so famous that her publishers seem to have given up trying to edit her. It's understandable as they (Bloomsbury) were a small outfit and the prospect of losing a mega seller like JK Rowling must have been terrifying. The result is you start to wish for a blue pencil after the first few pages. A paragraph out here, a chapter there and stop it with the blasted waffling. The films have a tighter schedule and so aren't quite so annoying as the books. All fantasy is pretty formulaic and HP is no better or worse than most on the shelves at the bookstore.
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Ive kept up with all the movies , but agree with a lot of what Morgita says about the books, having tried and failed to read 3 of them ( nicked from the grandkids) they are too wordy in a lot of places.
Prefer the films.
I liked Waterworld as well, a much meligned little Costner outing :)
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

I'm off to watch it in 3D later.It will be a painful experience as I have never made it through an Harry Potter film but hopefully the 3Dness of it will keep me awake!
bigken

Post by bigken »

Harry Potter is a book as well :?
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

No BK Harry Potter is a character IN a book :lol: :lol:
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
bigken

Post by bigken »

Christine wrote:No BK Harry Potter is a character IN a book :lol: :lol:
Very good, :) :)
KJB

Post by KJB »

Well, I love the HP books. I find all the detail of the alternative world of wizarding very well created and there is lots of humour that is entirely missing from the films, as a result of time constraints, no doubt. The films stand almost on their own and I have enjoyed watching them as a separate thing. I found I got more annoyed with some of the changes made to the characters/story of the Lord of the Rings in the films but the filmaking itself redeemed that....

I know, I should be incostume at Comic Con. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Obviously a fan KJB, I bet you also play Quidditch, or should that be Quiche? :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ KJB - I never realized there was humour in the books that wasn't in the movies. Interesting observation.

What 'age' of child would the Harry Potter books be suitable for? (My grandsons are 18 months old so I NEED to be prepared!! ;) ;) )
KJB

Post by KJB »

Well I'm.... :D

They need to be able to follow quite complicated and long plot lines, so not too young. My son is 11 and we have tried twice since he was 7 to get into the series but, after the films, which are simplified and much faster paced as a result, it hasn't worked. One of his friends has had no problem concentrating but she's a girl and they seem (in general) to have the knack of sitting still and concentrating for long periods of time. My son can't sit still or keep quiet to save his life except when watching a film he likes - then he tell you what's going to happen and spoils it. 8)

Horus - the quiche is much more likely!!!:P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

These Harry Potter films can have an effect on impressionable young children, just look at this one of my Granddaughter playing in the garden. ;)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

:lol: I hope she didn't ruin your lovely plants :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

She did swoop a bit low at times, but no real damage. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW! Gotta watch she doesn't catch the pump with one of her arms too and I hope she doesn't bump you when you're out there holding your hose either H.....

Thanks KJB. I know they're only 18 months old now but - hey - I'm a Grannie so I have to spoil 'em ;) I know the entire Harrry Potter phenomenon took most of the kids here by storm a few years ago just wasn't really sure of what age the books appealed to. Guess I won't go out right now and buy the series (not that I would anyway but I'd sure keep an eye out at boot sales/garage sales).

I agree that girls seems to be happier to read at a younger age too. Both my daughters were avid readers and would sit forever with their noses in a book. Am hoping the grandsons will be settled enough to enjoy reading. Too soon to tell yet.