Windows 7 upgrade

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Windows 7 upgrade

Post by Grandad »

I don't know if any of you folks are still on Win 7 but Microsoft had advised that their upgrade in mid January was to be their last and they would not be supporting Win 7 in the future. The January patch gave some problems which Microsoft have resolved and they will be issuing a new upgrade shortly, but this will be the last.
Best leave it for a few days and, unless you get an actual reminder, go to Settings and check you have the latest upgrade level.
Advice from Microsoft is to upgrade to Win 10. I have had Win 10 for several years and apart from one or two minor glitches soon after it was released, I have had no further problems for years now.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Windows 7 upgrade

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I upgraded to Windows 10 quite a while ago. It seemed a big awkward at first but now I don't even remember Windows 7
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks for the info Grandad, I have a much loved and travelled notebook that a Customs Official dropped breaking the hinge. When I complained he just gave me a cold hard stare, not a word.

Anyway, I used it at home though I bought a new one with Windows 8i and then a Windows 10. I'd love to upgrade my little old friend but thought I'd already missed the chance. I was actually more comfortable with Windows 7 than the upgrades, but still,Thank you.
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My laptop is still running Windows 7 and will continue to do so. I hardly ever use it these days, because I prefer the iPad, but occasionally I need to use one of the programmes installed on the laptop, and they work well with 7 so I won't upset the applecart by changing to Windows 10.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:36 pm My laptop is still running Windows 7 and will continue to do so. I hardly ever use it these days, because I prefer the iPad, but occasionally I need to use one of the programmes installed on the laptop, and they work well with 7 so I won't upset the applecart by changing to Windows 10.
@Ruby Slippers
I do understand what you are saying RS but if you do get a problem there is unlikely to be any help available. My best advice would be to keep anything important backed up just in case. Grandad
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad where do I go to check " settings " ??

I've had a notice coming up on my screen saying to change to Win 10..........other wise nothing is covering from Win 7 now.

Is Win 10 free to download ??
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Kiya
Kiya I am afraid that I am not familiar with Win 7 but somehow you must be able to access settings. Is there a 'Start' button bottom left of the screen. If so this should open up options including settings. If you can get into settings look for something that indicates upgrades or current level. Somewhere there must be a button that will check if you have the latest issue of the program.
As for Win 10 it is free to upgrade or at least it was when I changed up from Win 8.
Sorry I can't be more help but you will do no harm if you look around providing you use a back arrow if you don't find anything helpful and take care not to click anything that says 'delete' ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Grandad, I did find in Control Panel, Check for Updates & found that I set it to time/day to automatically check for updates, so now I'll do a search for Win 10

Thanks again :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you both - I had no idea!
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What do Kindles run? Are they Window anything? or are they totally separate and on their own system?

I upgraded the laptop way back when and have now been on Windows 10 for a long time but reading this just wondered what a Kindle might be on?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I just checked my Kindle Fire HD 8 (7th generation) which runs on Fire OS 5.3.7.0 (650601220)
So it would appear that Amazon have their own operating system.
As you are probably aware, most hand devices, with the exception of Apple, run on Android. Even my Huawei phone runs on Android so even Huawei, massive company that they are, have so far opted not to use their own OS.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Thanks for checking the Kindle. I really have no idea re: operating systems. On the newest Kindle I have which I think is identical to yours I periodically see a little message saying it has updated itself but it has never stopped like the laptop saying that it is updating NOW (actually it usually gives me a choice of update now or soon) but soon as I see the message I usually stop, turn it completely off and then let it upgrade.

That has never happened with the Kindle. The oldest Kindle I have is still kicking but I never ever saw that type of message. My oldest Kindle is the original Fire. Doesn't even have a slot to upgrade the memory and I keep thinking that one of these days it is going to give up the ghost all together but it still seems to be going strong so I take it with me often in the car (if it gets lost or stolen it isn't a huge hit).

I had no idea most of the other devices use Android. Have to be honest though and admit other than knowing the world "Android" I don't really know anything else about it. I only have one old Kindle, one newer Kindle and a laptop (Windows 10) so nothing else that would use anything.

I'm also thinking that if Kindles have their own operating system they just update whenever they feel like it and other than me periodically turning them completely off and back on they're going with whatever Amazon puts out.