Flash of Deja Vue

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Flash of Deja Vue

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I belong to a group of us "Oldies" and "Retired Persons" and one of the activities is going out once per month to different local Pubs for supper. Went this past Thursday and sat with three ladies at one end of a long table. Two couples came in and joined us and then when a third couple arrived the lady was very excited and animated and quickly started chatting with the two women (of the couples). They were obviously long time friends and basically knew the "subject matter" and were all excited for updates.

The TOPIC was - Their "Friend" was finally actually ON THE PLANE en route to EGYPT to meet her Paramour! (Nearly choked on my Caesar Salad when I overheard).

What I did overhear - they were all so excited she finally was off to meet him, yes there was an age discrepancy (that was fine with him) and they'd gotten to know each other online. He was 1) sweet 2) loving 3) so caring for her 4) so wanting her to join him and on and on ........

I have to admit I only 'overheard' it all (hard not to as that was all they talked about for 2 hours) nor did I comment or join the conversation but it kept crossing my mind that "LOVE" must still be "Alive and Well" in Egypt.

I also don't know which city this woman was heading to in Egypt but she is/was en route. Hope the purse strings are knotted up tight but ????

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Flash of Deja Vue

Post by Grandad »

Stupid woman. True that some of these relationships DO work out but from my experience most end in tears. A naive woman being infatuated with a younger man but he sees her as a "cash cow". Pity she didn't join us for a while to 'get wise' :(
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

From all the I've read on L4U way back when and from all that I know there is really truly nothing anybody is going to do or say at this point that is going to make one iota of difference. Her 3 friends are all in it too for her adventure so there isn't even going to be a mature voice of caution. Hope it all works out well but ???
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My DH and I got married in the middle of December 1991 and I met him 3 months before in Luxor but the fact is he has always been incredibly generous to me in every way - freedom of thought, freedom of movement and always tries to make me happy and financially independent. I would never have had the fantastic life I have without his part in it. I have always trusted him, although he says no-one should be completely trusting of others including himself. Neither of us knew how things would turn out, but it seemed likely to be interesting and neither of us was well off. I never asked for anything and he spent his life trying to give me many surprise presents of something I'd really love, for example a pair of tortoises, a Harlequin Great Dane Puppy, 4 Pure Arabian horses and the physically largest - a 100m x 100m terraced garden on the bank of the Nile as his subsequent business became successful.

I know his advice to the woman in question would be: Keep a base in the UK. Keep you money in the UK, and if you must invest in a project in Egypt do not invest more than half your money. The other half of your money make only available in person in the UK and separately, never more than enough to get you back to the UK in an emergency by wire.

I did none of the above as neither of us had enough money to be enticing. :lol: He says he married me for my brain, and I say I married him because he makes me laugh all the time. How blessed we have been.
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

PS Although he had training in the UK before and after I met him, he's never, ever wanted to live in the UK.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD, regular visitors to Luxor will know of your business there and how successful and highly regarded it was. I say, was, because having not been to Luxor for about 5 years I don't know if it is still operating.
As I said earlier, some relationships do succeed and yours is a good example. We have another member, who has not posted for a long time, who also has a successful marriage. And I can add another couple living happily in the UK.I
But I also know of relationships that have ended acrimoniously. Both ladies returned to the UK almost broke.
So, returning to LLL's subject, it does sound as if this lady is going blindly into a situation that she sounds unaware of the possible pitfalls. I hope she doesn't get ripped off and takes the kind of precautions that you outline in your post.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have/had a girl friend and part of our retirement was to travel. We were in Luxor and I went off to see Queen Hatshepsut temples and came back to find her totally "in love" with the skinniest scrawniest little guy who worked in one of the gift shops in there.

I had a hard time wrapping my brain around how could a sedate mid-50ies mature woman who'd been married 2 previous times suddenly be in love in less than 8 hours with this guy but she was. That was our last trip together however she made multiple other trips and OMG it got BAD. Not right away but he basically took her for everything. The stories go on ad nauseum.

I remember the call from her daughter asking me what I knew of the situation and I debated saying anything and only gave the info I had that happened during our trip. Long story short the daughter was able to step in and save her house but that was after most everything else was gone. My gf was also not the only one and found out when confronted by another woman from (I think) Netherlands. Was awful and I basically burned out on hearing the daily blow by blow.

Long story short we really now only talk every once in a while and have never taken another trip as my gf now basically has to plan going out for a coffee let alone take a trip. Was very tragic all 'round.