Bitter Coffee

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Bitter Coffee

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is actually interesting that I an live without ever drinking coffee so I'm not even sure myself why this is an issue but seems when I go out and go visiting I'm offered coffee. For eons I've drank it with milk and preferably what is known here as "Half 'n Half" (cream). Cause my cholestrol is now at the top of normal I've got to cut back so I decided to continue drinking coffee but to drink it black and I can easily although my preference is whole milk or cream.

The coffee I drink at home is a French Roast blend and I find it quite nice however other coffees I find on a spectrum of bitter to very bitter.

Are coffees typical bitter? And is there any other way to combat the bitterness than adding cream or creamers?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Bitter Coffee

Post by Grandad »

We have a coffee machine that uses pods. We tend to buy Colunbian or Kenyan coffees but none are bitter. We use a sweetener, not sugar, and a coffee whitener, not milk. We both take a Statin for cholesterol but that controls our levels well below recommended levels. We just have a coffee each morning and drink tea the rest of the day.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We didn't drink coffee at home but the first coffee I bought was Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee - it sounded so nice.

It spoiled me forever though I can't afford to buy it now. No bitterness there. Mmmmm!
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have never heard of that name here (Jamaican Blue) but I'll remember it have a look see in the stores next time I'm there. The son in law and daughter drink and like really strong coffee so they've never had a recommendation I've liked.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just had to check that one out. Wittards offer 250g of ground Jaimacan Blue Mountain for cafetiere at £50. That must be SOME coffee. But at that price I think I will stick to my Nespresso coffee pods ;) :lol:
Gotta try it. I found Nespresso compatible pods on Amazon and have ordered 10 to try. £11.99 for 10, better be good. I normally pay £3.50/£3.80 for 10 pods from Nespresso.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow at that price Jamaica Blue better be beyond excellent and be able to brew and serve itself too!! :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I could get £50 worth for my DD who is very fussy about her coffee for Christmas - then maybe she would ask me to join her in a cup? ;)

Hmm while I'm writing this I can remember...………….. I know, when I go to the shop next door there's usually a beggar there so I have two or three pounds in my pocket to offer them. If they aren't there maybe I'll put the coins in a jar towards some Blue Mountain Coffee...………………….. :tk

No that's selfish! It'll go in the appeal box in the shop. Much better. :up

But oh so tempting. :oops:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Maybe you would prefer the taste of coffee made from the droppings of a civet cat in Java, LLL! The world's most expensive coffee, so I understand.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Ruby Slippers Yes I've heard about the cat poop coffee and "Nah" would probably pass on that one.

What fascinated me about that particular coffee is "WHO" was the FIRST person to decide them want to sip anything that came out of the bum of a cat? Who was this person who thought brewing cat droppings would be a good idea? Were they doing it as a disgusting joke to gross out an enemy? OR was this a Gourmet Cook wannabee who was really stretching the limits of Gourmet anything to create a new drink?

Sometimes the origins of a 'find' really need to be sussed out IMO.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm Maybe you would prefer the taste of coffee made from the droppings of a civet cat in Java, LLL! The world's most expensive coffee, so I understand.
Ugh! Not for me. :sk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm Maybe you would prefer the taste of coffee made from the droppings of a civet cat in Java, LLL! The world's most expensive coffee, so I understand.
I can hardly think of anything more disgusting RS :( The Jamaican Blue Mountain should arrive today so I will let you know my opinion of that.....but Cerval cat poo.....not on your life :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Not me :sk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was talking about bitter coffee this morning at Breakfast and got the hint that you add a tiny pinch of salt to the grounds just prior to filtering hot water through them ......... Will give that a try to see if that does anything to decrease the bitter taste.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't remember Turkish coffee with cardamom seeds being bitter. It is lovely though.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I'm a wimp where it comes to coffee. I live on the stuff as I don't drink tea or any of the milky drinks but I take mine fairly mild & black. Don't like bitter coffee & like Grandad drink Colombian using coffee bags/pods in the Senseo machine. Here in France I always ask for extra water with mine as it is usually strong and bitter!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I was a Serious coffee drinker at home, if I drank in a coffee bar i asked for a Double Double Espresso.
Now it's just Americano. I don't drink milk or cream. Don't like it.

A Serious coffee drinker? 14 mugs of perked coffee a day. Shall I say I was a bit hyper? Not something I recommend. :oops:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

14 cups per DAY?? Whoa!!! I don't think I drink 14 in a week.....maybe 2 however my cups are a good 8 to 10 ounces. That sure is enough coffee to give the jitters.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I drink coffee full stop! I don't drink tea or much of anything else - like Fablux. I've had two coffee machines but they didn't last long enough to warrant the expense so I keep looking at the big bean to cup gadgets now. However, the price is a bit daunting! I usually drink about 6 cups per day - some days more but never less. At the moment, it's back to good old Nescafe instant coffee but it is a bit tasteless.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The best coffee I ever remember was in a small backstreet cafe in Aswan. Turkish, beautifully smooth and with a hint of mocka and cardamom. That became my yardstick that I have never been able to match wherever I have traveled....
We don't buy any 'instant coffee' and only use pods to try to get a real coffee taste. I have a Nespresso machine and if I order pods in the afternoon they are delivered next day. Just call us lazy shoppers ;) :lol:
Way back before coffee drinking became so popular, do you remember 'Camp Coffee'? That liquid stuff in a bottle that my mum used to buy. indescribable :x
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 pm 14 cups per DAY?? Whoa!!! I don't think I drink 14 in a week.....maybe 2 however my cups are a good 8 to 10 ounces. That sure is enough coffee to give the jitters.
I was crazy - rarely slept more than 4 hours a day and couldn't rest. Literally crazy. Not the happiest time for me or my family.
Actually LLL they were mugs not cups. I never drank anything else but coffee. :ct