Back to my family history.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Back to my family history.

Post by Grandad »

@damc134
Hello Damc134 and welcome to the forum.
I will be happy to correspond with you via PM on here but can I first ask how you got to associate me on here as 'Grandad' with George Madams, your ancestor???

PS, just looked back 3 years to the start of this thread and I guess good old Google found me from my first post. I will PM you later about my great aunt Isabelle...

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't searched my own family extensively but when I have looked there are names that appear and then never re-appear anywhere. I recently found out my Grandfather actually had a HALF brother whose name popped up but very few details.

I keep thinking "when I get the time" I'm going to sign up full time for one of the sites that gives you family info and history but never seem to have the time. Guess I'm going to have to take the proverbial tiger by the tail and just go for it! ;) (soon when I have time) :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@damc134
I am in contact with damc134. We share a common Great Great Grandfather which by the split lines makes him a Third Cousin.
Good to make a new acquaintance down under and I hope he will be encouraged to stay with us and join in our chat and gossip.
If you read this D.... don't expect much on here about Egypt. Although we have all been regular visitors to Egypt, the politics and uncertainty of recent years has affected the level of tourism to that favourite country. My wife and I still hope to go there just one more time.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Me too, Grandad! Just once more to sit by the side of the Nile and dream in my beautiful Aswan!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Me three :up although the chances of doing so get more distant.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think we are all likely to find skeletons in the cupboard when we start our family history research. For myself I have lines that stop at Victorian workhouses from which it is difficult to go further back and usually needs church records.
I also have the unresolved investigation into whether or not my maternal grandfather fathered one or maybe two illegitimate sons while married to my grandmother.
I have been in contact with our new member damc134 with whom I share many ancestors. He has told me about a very sad and tragic episode involving one of his Victorian grandmothers where her husband murdered all five of their children.
That is a skeleton none of us would wish to find :(

Forgive me for mentioning this damc134 but I was so shocked when I read the account of the court proceedings :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

That's shocking of course, but on reflection when you think of what the living conditions were for so many people maybe many parents would have said that their children would be better off dead than suffering as they did. Actually killing though is a step much too far.

I abhor slavery of any kind but I feel that the plight of British women and children during the industrial revolution is not emphasised enough. Slaves God rest their souls had a value, women and children almost none in the UK and still in many places in the world which are catching up with the New Industrial Revolution.

I am quite worried about education these days, kids are stuffed with facts but nothing that appeals to their feelings.

They relax with a screen, they converse while miles apart and artifice is more acceptable than nature. How much they are missing.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I agree about the skeletons :o when I did mine there were more popping up than there are in the church yard :lol: Those Victorians were very prudish and swept a lot of stuff under the carpet, or it was never spoken about.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am very happy that damc134 found us, and me. Since initial introductions about a week ago we have had a regular PM discussion going on and we do have some very close links in our grandparent and great grandparent lines. It is now quite likely that I will reconsider my view about DNA testing. There is no doubt about our relationship but he has found other useful new links after he had the DNA test.
And all thanks to Google :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As mentioned in another thread, I am rather excitedly awaiting my DNA analysis from Ancestry.com, due on Friday. I don't think I have any skeletons hiding in a cupboard but who knows? ;)
In the past I have told about a lady who made contact with me, via Ancestry, who has evidence to suggest that she may be a half cousin from an illegitimate relationship between my maternal grandfather and her grandmother. Although I have hesitated, I now feel that I would like to know the truth because she has also had her DNA tested. This might also be useful to damc134 who made contact with me a month or so back. We have established our relationship.
My grandfather was an oyster fisherman in Whitstable around 1906 and we do not have a photo of him. I have just spent a couple of hours searching old photos of Whitstable in the forlorn hope that I may find a picture of him or at least his home. His home was demolished in the 60's/70's in a redevelopment program.
All I found was this picture of oyster fishermen bringing their catch ashore in the early 1900's. He would have been younger than the men in the picture but at least it gives me an image of what he may have looked like when at work.
19000000 Oyster fishermen Whitstable early 1900s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've done the Ancestry thing and it WILL be very interesting when it comes back. It does give where your DNA hails from and will link you to any other relatives who you link to and it'll give you the degree (parent or sibling, 1st cousin, 2nd cousin etc). Mine proved true however things get a bit shady once you start moving into 4th, 5th and 6th levels of relatives (I have them but don't know any of them.)

So far I've only had one surprise but it sure explains lots of an unknown factor but the story rings true as I know it. We haven't met yet but live close enough we easily could. I'd meet but am just waiting for the other side to confirm they want to.