Problems logging in?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Problems logging in?

Post by Horus »

I don't know if anyone else had a problem, but this morning I could not get onto any of the forums until around 11.30 am :(

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Problems logging in?

Post by Grandad »

Same here. I got a message with Firefox and Chrome saying server could not be found. Seems OK now.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yep, seems OK at the moment :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

OK with me but, this is my first time today :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I think there must have been some maintenance going on, it was the same for me on all forums, mind you we have been having internet problems for the past week here in Luxor, at the moment all seems ok :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Keefy, I reckon it was a general server problem as it was across all the forums.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just logging in now all ok. I know that I'm having some problems with my own provider. Yesterday they did acknowledge to me that there are difficulties 'in my area' and they re-started all the firmward, software - stuff like that that took about 30 or so minutes to do.

Mostly, for example, when I try and watch Netflix at night the download speed becomes so slow the program keeps freezing. I don't know how often this is affecting my laptop but am sure it does daily.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You do need to have at least 2-3 Mb of download speed and preferably faster to stream movies. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - interestingly enough I'm paying for 15Mb....BUT everything is freezing up here like that ship stuck in the Antartica!!Glad they got the tourists off the ice and home.

By way of explanation the Provider is saying I have 2 devices (their own installed cable boxes for 2 TVs which comes with basic minimum services level 1.) I get Optik TV which is delievered through the modem which I'd already re-started.

I have level 2 service (so I won't have problems with getting internet). Each of these devices when plugged in which they have been now for over a year takes 3Mb each.

So, ok I'm using 6. Leaves me 7.

Well then apparently they have something that is 'buffering' - so ok lets say that is 2 or 3mb still leave me 4..........AHH but I MIGHT (and they sounded like this was the answer) "I" am watching High Definition TV at the same time of being on and using the computer cause THAT would slow me down incredibly!!!

Think again Provider cause I do not watch HD in the first place and I don't watch TV, especially TWO TVs at the same time.

Was starting to lose it about then cause for 14 months I've had no problem and I'm not watching HD on 2 TV whilst using the laptop AND even if I WAS I'm paying for a higher level which should easily allow me to do this IMO.

Anyway - their solution which we will again talk about Monday is to unplug one of their devices while I'm ON laptop and this should then give me sufficient download speed..........

We are hitting Sunday tomorrow and apparently they don't work Sunday or somebody doesn't work Sunday so we'll resume talks Monday however it is all sounding rather fishy to me. I'm not tech savy enough to know what I need to say to them but just know that when watching one 44min Netflix program takes over 1.5 hours something is wrong. :( :( :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, these service providers get away with murder, note the operative wording they use which is to say “up to” when quoting internet speeds and not “you will be lucky if you get” speed. They will often ‘throttle back’ speeds at busy times to share it out between users, also remember the biggest problem unless you have fibre optics which is the further away from the telephone exchange that you live the worse your speeds will be. On average if you are more than 2 miles away from the telephone exchange your service will be poor, basically too much copper wire and too many other users between you and the exchange. I would try running one of the free internet speed checkers to see what you actually are getting, not sure if this one works where you are and you may need to go into the ‘Settings’ section and change your details, but it is very good and gives accurate results if it will work where you live.

http://www.speedtest.net/
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I find the link Horus gives is the best one to test internet speeds :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It started VERY slow this morning but is better right now. :)

My SP claims 'up to' 15Mb/s. I am getting 6.5 this afternoon and it varies between about 6 and 9 which I find fast enough for my needs. Fibre with a claimed 'up to' 38Mb/s would cost me an additional £10/month on my present contract which I don't need and I think my old machine would start smoking at those speeds :lol: :lol: .

I expect LLL will be able to use the speedchecker that Horus has recommended but if not, try http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ that I use.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks Guys, appreciate the URLs - I've got these 2 into my favourites now and will be reading and using them today.

Seems for the last couple of weeks at 8pm exactly my speed drops incredibly. When I watch Netflix I can actually see how low it goes and last night was only getting .8 at times which is ridiculous.

The company, Telus, offers 3 levels of service. I didn't think I'd even need the minimum but opted for the middle level service. They did restart all their firmware and I think the Tech slipped when he told me there were 'problems in the area.' Last night I was supposed to unplug 1 of the TVs and monitor and this was supposed to fix all my problems - so I moved the dresser and unplugged but it made no difference at all. The speeds dropped like a rock starting about 8pm.

I'll be checking today and tonight with the online speed checkers. Never knew about these before but now I'll be able to provide them with a complete blow by blow :up

The Tech guy has been good at calling me back for the last couple of days but he is probably checking the system here from India! Hope to get it sorted cause it really is getting super annoying.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, if you use the link I gave you then you can also view a log of how your speed has been on every day you made a test, it also gives you a comparrison with what is an average for other providers, so it also gives you good ammunition to use as a print out (or screenshot) to prove you are not getting the service they claim to provide you with, I revue mine over the last 12 months or so especially if I think my speed has dropped. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ H - well today there has not been one hitch or glitch at all. My speed, as per your site, has been 15.87 to just over 16. Nothing slowed down at all unlike the past 2 weeks when I was hardly going at all.

I'm going to keep periodically checking my speed and I'm writing down day/date/time and keeping a log so that I can show and tell Telus if the problem re-emerges.

I'm optimistic they might have fixed it but I'm not confident they have and am fairly certain it'll crop up again.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No need to write it down each day LLL, if you are using the link I gave you just click on the 'My Results' tab at the top and it will show you a neat graph that adds each test you make to itself, so you have a nice ongoing graph line showing each days speeds. In addition at the bottom is a full text listing each test you have done and it shows your IP address plus the resulting information on the speed, time taken, where it connected to for the test, date & time etc. so you only need to print the results or better still use the 'Prt Sc' key (print screen) to copy the page then open up any programme that can handle it such as Paint or even Microsoft Word, Paste the copied screen into whatever you use and then you can print the whole thing off, text and graph, or save it as a file for future use :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Woo hoo - that sounds lots better than writing it all down! But so far my speed has been good and no problems last night. Seems to have gotten better shortly after I complained but am going to keep track for a while anyway (it has only been 1 day).

My download speed this afternoon is 16.36 and then it gives me another reading UPLOAD which is 4.88. Not sure what upload is but is that a good speed or a good ratio?

It is also interesting to note that in the bottom right it says the Speed test is hosted by SHAW. My provider is TELUS (who is Shaw's competitor)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Both are quite good speeds, I wish I could get half of that. :( The upload speed is when you say post a few images to a forum or send something over the net, basically it's how fast it sends the data. The 'hosted' name is nothing to concern yourself about, just an address they are contacting for test purposes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks H - I didn't know there even was such a thing as an UPLOAD speed. I know that most people buy the basic service. I bought the next level up cause it seemed to be able to cover anything I might need i.e. me watching TV plus being on the internet while the twins might be in another room watch their Bob The Builder on Netflix. Wanted to make sure that everything would go and run OK ............AND it has up until lately. Was in watching Netflix movie last night and it was fine. Stopped only once at 8:29pm but other than that all was good. NOW to keep it that way ;) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks H - I didn't know there even was such a thing as an UPLOAD speed. I know that most people buy the basic service. I bought the next level up cause it seemed to be able to cover anything I might need i.e. me watching TV plus being on the internet while the twins might be in another room watch their Bob The Builder on Netflix. Wanted to make sure that everything would go and run OK ............AND it has up until lately. Was in watching Netflix movie last night and it was fine. Stopped only once at 8:29pm but other than that all was good. NOW to keep it that way ;) ;)