RETURN OF AN OLD FRIEND

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

RETURN OF AN OLD FRIEND

Post by Grandad »

I know that some time in the past I have mentioned on here or L4U that I disposed of all my roll film and darkroom equipment over ten years ago. One item was my Slik 88 tripod, a decision that I regretted particularly when I bought my DSLR.

As an interim I bought a Hama Star 61. A very cheap substitute but OK for occasional use. I know that Stan mentioned at the time that the leg clamps tend to fail and,sure enough, one of mine did. The result was that when pulling out the 3 extensions, one of them came out completely.:xx

Searching around for used Slik 88's I came across one for £35 at Ffordes Photographic in Inverness. Ordered at 09.30 yesterday morning, delivered to my door at 2pm today. They only gave it an average condition rating but to be honest it is very good with no signs of ware. This model is no longer in production but it would be around £120 at least if it was and I got £60 for mine on ebay all those years ago. :)

So Grandad is a happy bunny once again and the Star61 is out for recycling......

The moral, you get what you pay for. :up

Anyone else bought cheap and regretted it later :?:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: RETURN OF AN OLD FRIEND

Post by Horus »

Too many times to remember Grandad, although I do try to buy a bit more upmarket if I can afford it. I do have a couple of cheap tripods that I still find very useful as they are not so heavy to carry around, but I also have decent one that weighs a ton, all alluminium but very solid, none of your untra-lite carbon Fibre extremely expensive stuff for me Grandad. :lol: