Nothing in the World but Youth

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Nothing in the World but Youth

Post by Grandad »

I mentioned 'The Turner Contemporary' gallery at Margate soon after it opened in April. The initial exhibits were sparse and disappointing but that was due, we were told, to the fact that the building had not fully dried out....

A new exhibition opened on Saturday titled 'Nothing in the World but Youth'. This comprises, in the main, pictures by or of young people. Both paintings and photographs. There are other exhibits such a a whole wall covered with tee shirts in many colours each with a slogan printed on the front. These were mostly anti establishment or revolutionary and not an art form that I can appreciate.

Regrettably they have introduced a ban on photography so I can not show anything that I did appreciate. I DID sneak a shot of this. It is a well presented analysis of the results of a questionnaire put to 50 boys and 50 girls ages from 12 to 15 at a local Technical College.

Sorry it is not very legible but I DID have to SNEAK a shot. :)

The things that struck me were the large amount of time spent each day watching TV or on the Internet, and the very small amount of time spent reading. Almost half the girls and a third of the boys felt that school was unnecessary. And 21% of girls and 33% of boys find school boring.

I said to Mrs G, "That says it all!". A very poor reflection on todays youth. No doubt many of the youngsters took the opportunity to take an extreme view but the more I see of todays educational standards in the UK, the more despondent I become. I am sure things were better in my time. :)

Moving on, we had a flask of coffee and some salmon and cucumber rolls so we moved along the coast to Minnis Bay for our picnic. :) It was very overcast cloud with a keen Westerly, not good to take the chairs to the beach :( , but good for the windsurfers, but certainly not good for the large school party that had come down from London for a day at the beach. 5 coachloads so probably around 300 including some parents and teachers.

Felt very sorry for them but they made the most of things......and the lad in the centre of this picture was determined not to be outdone by the weather, he strpped to his swimming shorts whilst some pals are wrapped up in coats and hoodies........

And one of those who appreciated the wind. :lol:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Although I try to be very catholic in my tastes for music, art etc. I do sometimes wonder what some of this modern day stuff is all about. :roll:

Glad to see you and Mrs G were enjoying the classic Salmon & Cucumber rolls whilst promenading Grandad. :) Mind you it does look a bit on the parky side to me, so I think with todays blustery weather at least, I shall stay indoors. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Too bad you couldn't get photos of the photos. I'm always inspired by other people's photography and it makes me want to get out there and take more more more of my own pictures.

The wind surfer sure looks like he is having fun.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

it does look a bit on the parky side
Too right Horus, rolls and coffee were consumed in the car.

I just felt sorry for all those kids who had probably looked forward to their day at the seaside. They had obviously chosen a day when the tide would be low, and when they all paddled in the shallows there was an inflatable with two wet suit clad guys patrolling to and fro so it was well organised safety wise. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I'm always inspired by other people's photography
Me too, LLL. There is an exhibition of photographs in London from 5 October to 30 November by Bill Wyman, lead guitarist of The Rolling Stones.

He is an accomplished photographer and, to me, it is much in contrast to his music and shows another side to the man.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

After my less than enthusiastic comments about the content of The Turner Contemporary Gallery at Margate, I am pleased to say that they have at last acquired something worth going to see. :)

From yesterday 4 October they have on display Rodins 'The Kiss', on loan until next September from The Tate, London. There is a 'No Photography' rule but as usual I took my little compact and, although I got my wrists slapped twice by a young staff member, I got a couple of sneaky shots. :)

Didn't dare use flash so I have had to seriously adjust the lighting on this one. The sculpture is plendidly positioned in the foyer.

And this one DID include yours truly in the mirror but I have removed myself. :lol:

It is a beautiful sculpture, very tender and erotic. This is not the original, that is in The Lycee Rodin in Paris. This copy was made by Rodin between 1901 and 1903 as a commission for the eccentric American Edward Perry Warren who lived in Lewes, Sussex. He paid 20,000 francs for it. I don't know what that equated to in pounds sterling but the Tate paid £7,500 for it in 1955. Couldn't guess what it is worth today. It is reputedly the nations most favourite sculpture. :)

PS. Just edited to add this because I think it is a better picture with the human interest. :)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great photos & a beautiful sculpture worth going to see.

I see in your photos quite a few with cameras.........I cant make out what is the black area between the heads in the sculpture..............oh & love the photo with the reflections :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Only snaps Kiya but I also like the disappearing images in the mirrors. Only problem is, you can't keep your own image out of frame so I had to remove myself in the second picture. :(
I see in your photos quite a few with cameras
Quite true Kiya. :) Everyone carries at least a camera phone so the poor little girl with her official uniform didn't stand a chance. :(
I cant make out what is the black area between the heads in the sculpture
Not quite sure what you mean Kiya, picture one, two or three from the top????
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

From top photos 2 & 3 there is a black marking between the heads in the reflection, if you enlarge you will see it better.

I've checked its no marking on my screen ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is just a deep shadow Kiya. The sculptor cut right through the marble between the females arm and the males shoulder and it is that area that appears very dark.

There are several places where Rodin cut right through like under the mans head and my thoughts are, what if he hit the chisel too hard and knocked the mans head off........Oh dear!......Start again :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks for clearing that matter up Grandad :D

Thank goodness Rodin didn't cut through, can't imagine if he had given up starting all over again, look what we would not be admiring today :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really love photo #2 Grandad. That effect is way interesting. Hopefully sometime I'll be able to try it.

(Another photographic tip card filed away in the depths of my brain!)