TUTORIAL DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is correct Grandad :) the more you zoom in the less crowded the grid appears to be and it does always stay in the same relationship once it is set.

You may now move to the front of the class and I have short listed you for 'Milk Monitor' :lol: :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

YUPPERS YES H! I just got the 32 bit stuff installed with a Shortcut (as you suggested) and this is the first time this new laptop is working like the old one.........onward and upward.........(and this is my excuse for not keeping up with the class but homework will get turned in in due course)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's good news, :) glad that it worked OK and things are improving for you and your new laptop.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have finished up to Exercise 3 Sir. I was beginning to forget some of the actions so I have printed your lessons to remind me.....that's not plagiarism is it Sir?

In PSE7 the square procedure does not work as described but it is no problem when using a grid. The circle works just as you described, SIR!

PS. Sir, I don't want to be 'milk monitor' and if you make me I'm gonna' tell my mum!
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, it may just be that you need to use another function key to lock the square as I described, maybe worth trying it and holding down 'Ctrl' or 'Alt' instead, it may work, it may not.
The problem with this sort of thing is that although a lot of these programes are similar, occasionally something does not work in the same way in all applications, but often there is a work-around.

Glad that you are up to speed on all the tutorials and exercises :) and I would suggest that everyone who is interested should print them out if they can as a future reference, there is no charge, you all just have to buy my beers if you see me out. :lol:

As to your not wanting to be Milk Monitor, well I am speechless! I knew you would be trouble after catching you twanging the girls knicker elastic at playtime! :lol:

How is everyone on using the colour pallet by the way? is it something you want me to run through?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I now find that I can create a true square in PSE7 if I left click and drag across and down to make a tall rectangle, and then press 'shift' which moves the described moving ants rectangle into a square.

Hope you get what I mean but I can now cope with squares....no probs ;)

And the colour pallet...yes please :) I am already finding that I can do things more quickly than before. I have two books on PSE7 and neither of them talk about the use of grids etc. They just concentrate on 'editing' but obviously there is SO much more in the way of creative editing that can be achieved.

Keep it going H, the class appreciates it :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Sir I have went over Tutorial 3 a few times & changing colours also while doing Edit>Stroke.............the colours changed only on which ever shape I was working on at the time..........is that ok?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, glad that you got that sorted out OK. :)

Kiya, yes that is normal, when you use the STROKE command you are creating another entity with all it's own attributes and so things like Colour, Line Size and anything else you enter in the fly-out menus will only apply to whatever line or shape you are working on at the time.

So you may want to create a Square with a line width of 5 and the colour BLUE, so that is what you type in the boxes, next you may want to draw a Rectangle with a line width of 10 and in the colour Red, so again you enter that information in the boxes.

So in brief, all your shapes on that layer will have the colours and widths that you originally gave to each shape and they do not change unless you edit them. However, as they are all on the same layer, any changes you make to the Layer WILL effect all of shapes on that Layer. So if for example we were to reduce the colour level by 50% for the LAYER, then ALL the colours on that Level will reduce by 50%.

I will wait until tomorrow to see if others want to move on and then I will do a short tutorial on the colour pallet. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just printed Tutorial 4, bedtime reading methinks :)

If anyone else is printing these lessons I find it best to copy and paste into word; I change the margins in 'page setup' to 1cm. Reduce each picture to about half scale and float each one to one edge so the text runs down the free space. That way I can reduce the pages by about 50%.

Just a tip though, make a note of where the picture is relative to the text because they tend to move in the document when you float them. (Alternatively you can always go back to the E4U window to check exactly where the picture should be.) If that sounds like the voice of experience, you bet it is :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Usefull info on Tutorial 4 from Horus & Grandad :D
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Just got back from my R&R down on the Red sea but Keefy will be taking my netbook to up-grade so will wait until I get home (this wednesday) before doing these tutorials.

H - if you have another tutorial ready don't wait for me I'll catch up as have a few days at home before returning to work.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Brian, so where did a whole month go? I can't believe you will be back again on Wednesday, the time has flown past. :)

Hope you enjoyed your R & R and you are back in fine fettle again. :)
Glad to see you are putting Keefy to work, he needs to be kept occupied :lol: :lol:

I reckon everyone must be OK the Colour Pallet as no one has had any questions so I will move us on a bit more. :)

Does anyone have any aspects that they want to get some insight into? or shall I just keep adding what I think myself?

What I don't want to be doing is going over lots of things that everyone is already very familiar with. :roll:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

For my part H I am happy for you to keep spreading the word :) and I assure you it is much appreciated. :br:

I can usually find my way around things but mostly by 'knife and forking' it. :) and then I forget how I got there :(

I would like to know how you (and Kiya with your help) made those stunning stained glass pictures. Perhaps we have covered that with the lines etc but how do you create the blended colours???

I would also like an example or two of creating a photo montage with several photos to create a new image. Such as putting yourself in some exotic scene or a Rolls Royce in your garage :snig: sort of thing.......
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

BTW, Bon Voyage on Wednesday Brian and safe journey home....
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Thanks Grandad

H - I second Granda's comments except I'd have said my Rolls Royce in some other garage :) .

Can't think of anything that I want to do as it's a case of not knowing what can be done if you know what I mean
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK then Lads & Lasses, I will try to come up with something that will be a bit of fun to do in addition to maybe learning a few more Photo-shopping techniques. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am putting this in tutorial discussions cause I'm 'trying' to be part of the lessons.

Today I was able to get Picasa installed on my new laptop and it 'works'! "YES!!!" However whilst most of you got the 'album' of photos I took yesterday I'd originally intended to post some of 'em on here but no way, no how can I get the album section of E4U to open on this laptop.

After H gave some direction I was able to get E4U going by way of entering under 32 bits instead of the 64 bits however E4U isn't allowing me any access to the albums at all. When I click on it it comes up as 'blank page' and/or I get a message that Internet Explorer has stopped working........ Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

It does take me sometimes a couple tries to get into E4U but I can manage to get in however anything 'pictorial' just isn't happening....

And lastly......I used to have Corelle Paint Shop Pro x2 on my old laptop. I've searched the house high and low and can't find it to re-install however do have a sneaking suspicion I 'lent' it and didn't get it back (cause am too organized to totally misplace a program in a box in my filing cabinet).....sooooooooo if you were going to purchase a NEW program, reasonably priced that can do layers and is advanced but not SUPER advanced (so advanced you have to be a professional photographer to operate it) - what would that be?

AHHHHHH I'm gonna fail H's classes!!!!! AND - just found out I can't open or get anymore EMOTICONS (was gonna put the crying one) than are immediately beside this text.........

I have a technological monster in this new laptop............... :x :x :x

*****************WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO***********

Just after I wrote this I was still playing and trying to get into the album. I clicked "REFRESH" and suddenly it opened and VOILA I was IN! Now I must admit it took me about 3 minutes to get the picture to load once I clicked SUBMIT but I was able to get a photo on here!!!!!!!!

:):):):):):):)

Now.......for another program that can allow me to edit and figure out layers.......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, first off I suspect that your internet connection is a bit slow for some reason, can you plug a 'ethernet' cable directly into your laptop and into your modem (usually a Yellow or blue cable with a phone type plug on the ends) and see if it speeds up the connection?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Today I was able to get Picasa installed on my new laptop and it 'works'!
LLL, when you loaded Picasa, and no doubt it scanned your HD for pictures, did it also search for faces???

When I reloaded it last weekend it searched for faces by default and it took me a while to remember how to switch it off. Most people don't want it and it can be a nuisance. :(

In case you don't know how to switch it off, go to Tools/Folder Manager and this will open a window with various scan options including the face scan. I mention it here because I remember it coming up on the blue side some time ago.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A rather grey afternoon so I spent a couple of hours trying to work through the chapter on layers in one of my books 'PSE7 For Dummies'

Well, it is either VERY complicated or I am getting extremely dim but I find it difficult to follow. I think the problem is that, like many of these manuals, it tells you WHAT can be done but DOES NOT give step by step examples....

Thank goodness for our excellent tutor Horus whose tutorials are easy to follow with actual step by step examples.

Looking forward to the next tutorial H. :br: