AVG anti virus

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

AVG anti virus

Post by Goddess »

I've used this for years and been as happy as a pig out of Egypt with it .... until 2 days ago when I upgraded to version 9 and it's absolutely killing me!
Surfing the AVG forums have led me to believe they have a whopper of a problem with it. My issues are getting onto the internet has become a living nightmare, pages stall, hang up, won't complete loading and just keep on and on doing nothing for ever and a day. Sometimes the refresh button works, sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the advice there and turned off the link scanner as a temporary fix ..... but although it now allows me to access pages, it's still super sluggish on the occasions it does actually choose to load a page.

So what should I do?? Wait it out and hope they make an update that fixes it or get rid of it for now and try something else (if so what??)

Really don't want to get rid of it since I know how it all works and have been satisfied in the past with it, but this is unbearable!

:?

Anyone else using AVG with similar issues?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hi Goddess, I also use this anti-virus software and have found it to be OK. I did notice a big update the other day and I have checked to see that it is in fact version 9.
Up to now my own system and web browsing seems to be OK but I will keep an eye out to see how it behaves.
One big point though, do you have any other anti virus programs running? If so that may be the problem, the more you have the slower your machine will run.

I have a brand new laptop that is now running with Windows 7 as the O/S up until last week it had Vista as the O/S. Under both systems I have been using AVG ver. 9.
I would check to see that you have the latest security updates from Microsoft installed, as I have noticed a couple of biggies on my own machines over the last couple of days, all to do with security issues.

Have you seen the free anti virus software that is now available from Microsoft? it can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essen ... ?mkt=en-us

It will work with XP, Vista & Windows 7. I have it on my new laptop but not yet on my desktop which for several reasons I keep running under the XP operating system, but I may install it soon,

It looks very much like the AVG interface window so you would have no problems with using it. It installed without any problems and ran a quick virus scan after installation, but just to be sure, I ran a full (several hours) scan on my system later that evening.

It does tell you to un-install any other anti virus software you have on your PC to avoid conflicts, it actually made a reference to the AVG, but I think that this was only due to some sort of system search that it carried out during installation.

I ignored the notice to remove the AVG as I did not like the idea of my PC being vulnerable during this download, however it does not seem to make any difference and my PC runs quite happily with both anti virus programs active.
Hope this helps you. :D
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Thanks Horus.
No other Anti Virus is or has been installed in the last few years, so know it's not a conflict there.
Got Win xp, service pack 3, have zone alarm firewall and use Mozilla firefox.
I have noticed that as long as I keep tabs to a minimum it runs along ok, just a tiny tad slower than normal. But the moment I open up an array of tabs it starts to chuck a right wobbler with pages just continually loading - and if one tab sets off doing it, all the others follow suite on the next refresh.
It's just getting to the point of annoying!
Everything is updated and running normally - forced an update today on everything to try and hope that whatever it is that's causing the rub might have been fixed, but so far no go.
All the AVG forum is full of people with the same issues - so know it isn't just me (for a change!) My little computer is a slow poke at the best of times - so this really isn't helping me at all - just making a bad situation even worse!
I'll hang on for another couple of days and keep my eye on the AVG forum - but if things don't improve I will switch it. I'll head off and peep at that microsoft one now.
Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

PS - I'll be back to pick your brains later on opening up the wireless thingy on the router so my mum can use it too - so start prepping your notes now! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I must say, I don’t usually have loads of windows open when browsing, so that may be the difference between us.
I do recall some time ago when I ran another virus checker called Spybot Search & Destroy that it did a similar thing to what you describe. It was to do with an Immunisation feature that was not compatible with Explorer version 8 so maybe this is a similar problem with AVG.
I have suggestion, why don’t you go to this site:
http://free.avg.com/cz-en/download?prd=afg#tba2

And after downloading the AVG exe file to a memory stick or even your hard drive, do a complete uninstall of the AVG via your Control Panel. Then before accessing the web again, reinstall the AVG version 9 again from the downloaded AVG exe file. After you have done so, allow it to update itself on the web for any changes. It is worth a try as your original installation may have become a bit screwed up.
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

We use AVG 9.0 on our laptops under XP Pro. I must admit I often have multiple tabs on multiple browsers but have never experienced any of the problems our Goddess has described.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.