Here we go, Cameras again

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Here we go, Cameras again

Post by Grandad »

Yes, I know! Last time I wrote about cameras I had just sold my last Fuji and said I would just use my camera phone on a selfie stick. Well that works very well if I am visiting somewhere and intend to take some pictures. It is then worth hitching the phone to the stick and 'pairing' them. However, maybe my hands and fingers are getting clumsy but, I do have some difficulty just using the phone for the occasional shot.
SO.....on reflection I was actually missing a normal camera but as my usual cameras have been rather large and heavy lumps, I decided to get a small, simple, inexpensive, point and shoot one. Searched Amazon and settled on the Canon Ixus, RRP 120GBP Amazon offered at 99GBP but I noticed a note of a used one available for 67GBP.
That'll do I thought so with Prime it was delivered today. The box was sealed as a new product and the contents appeared mint brand new. After charging the battery, the only clue that it had been used was the date had already been set.
It has a 20Mb sensor, 8x optical zoom plus 4x digital zoom. The image quality when zooming is not brilliant but the normal pictures are quite acceptable.
As it was getting dark outside I just took this first pic from my desk. Not bad IMO and the camera is so small it fits in a shirt breast pocket.
20200124 First pic with Canon Ixus 185.JPG
PS: Sorry about the GBP for pounds. For some reason I have got problems with my keyboard and the pound sign has disappeared. :xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Here we go, Cameras again

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Methinks you got a steal of a deal @Grandad The photo definitely looks pretty good to me.

I've never had a phone that I'd use as a camera and am not too sure even if I did have a phone with a camera that I'd use it for that. I rather like having a camera as a camera however I do rather like taking pictures.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

In the recent turning out I came across a box of exposed films - and wondered where I would get them developed. I used to go to a laboratory in Tonbrige to develop my film for adverrtising back in the day. Very expensive but worth it. I'll have to Google where I can take these films.

I have a frequent tremor which makes taking shots with my phone produce fuzzy photos. I loved my EOS 500, chunky and reliable. Unfortunately Baby, as my crew called her because she never left my side, is still in Egypt. :( I guess they still make film? I hadn't really noticed, but I haven't seen any on sale for a long time.
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Your little Canon looks pretty good to me Grandad :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:49 am In the recent turning out I came across a box of exposed films - and wondered where I would get them developed.
@Mad Dilys
MD, roll film is still quite widely used and if anything is having a renaissance a bit like vinyl records. In some fields 'digital' is becoming boring and impersonal.
I found this processing lab who can probably help you. https://www.maxphoto.co.uk/services/film-processing
They have several 'drop offs' in Cardiff including Tesco so they may be convenient for you. Best to try a roll (24 exposure if you have one) to check their service AND to check if the film is still processable if it is quite old.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think this is likely to become a bit of a 'blog' for me. ;)
Firstly, here is the new little Canon to show how small it is. OK, it is just a basic point and shoot but it suits my current needs. I really can't be bothered with all the settings that bigger cameras have.
20200125 new Canon Ixus.jpg
Over my lifetime of having an interest in cameras and photography I have owned dozens of cameras of most formats......not old enough to have actually used a plate camera (Before BK looks in with the cheeky suggestion ;)
One of the most interesting was a 1992 Canon Ion RC231. This was one of the first digital cameras and used a small integral disc drive to store the data. It was actually bought for use at work for TV presentations but when it had served its purpose I was allowed to keep it. Don't still have it though. :(
Canon ION Camera 3.JPG
@LovelyLadyLux
Back to the new Canon. On my trip for a newspaper this morning LLL, I took a few pics with the Canon and my mobile phone for comparison. I must stress that is was dull and very grey overcast. The Canon did its best with the available light but it is clear how superb mobile phone cameras are at adjusting for ambient conditions. Mine has Leica optics :up

In these three collages the Canon picture is at the top of each pair of images.
2016-12-03.jpg
2016-12-031.jpg
2016-12-032.jpg
PS: Just noticed I got a finger near the lens on the last image. As I said earlier, clumsy fingers are not always the best for camera phones. :urm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - First I like all the photos and secondly whilst I can see a difference in them I'd be hard pressed to say which I actually liked better. They're both showing great detail. Would be really hard to say which actual photo is better. I have a little point and shoot and now if I go someplace I take it and it does me just fine
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, I can see a difference but only in the sharpness of each photo. If you take the Canon photos into an editing photo, and adjust the sharpness, would you see much difference then?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your comments ladies. :up
I am suitably impressed with the little cheapie camera. These pictures were 'as shot' without any tweaks so I agree RS that some sharpness adjustment would further improve the Canon pics.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Nice pics Grandad :) I prefer the bottom ones with mobile, you can see the pictures with much more detail , look at the brick work in bottom pics. :up