LOSING A BIT OF WEIGHT

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

LOSING A BIT OF WEIGHT

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned that I have lost a little weight over recent months. Well, for some reason the weight has started to go back on. OK, we have just had Christmas but I can assure you that I kept my intake in moderation and drank virtually no alcohol. Boring...innit! :(
I do want to keep the reduction going, not least because as a confirmed type 2 diabetic I need to keep my weight and diet in check. Also I have my annual review with the Doctors practice diabetes nurse on Monday and I am hoping for some compliments about my weight. :a4:
Tom Watson, the former deputy leader of the Labour Party, is a man that I always liked even though I often disagreed with the policies. But Tom the man reached an unhealthy 23 stone (146 Kg) a few years ago and was also diagnosed T2D. He set out to do something about that and over a period of about 3 years has reduced his weight to 16 stone (110 Kg) and still going down.
He has recorded his story in his new book 'Downsizing', a copy of which I just bought on Amazon. It is biographical to explain how he got to that weight but also to tell of the research that he did to find a best way for him to lose weight.
Quite a personal account but interesting and not a bad read about the man, Tom Watson.
The bottom line is that, contrary to much teaching, he adopted a low carb/high fat diet which I think I might give a try. He also gave up alcohol so I already have a head start there. AND, my starting point today IS 16 Stone, where Tom took several years to reach.
I will keep you informed of my progress and will also let you know what the nurse says on Monday.

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: LOSING A BIT OF WEIGHT

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My sister also has T2 diabetes and has been overweight since she was a teenager. She also has thyroid problems but that is controlled by medication. Despite lots of different diets over the years, which she swears she keeps to, she still weighs over 9.5st, so I've convinced her to get the Blood Sugar Diet book and try it. From others reports who have actually tried it, they have all lost on average 2st in 8 weeks. Good luck Grandad!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

RS, is 9.5 stone that serious? Doesn't sound too heavy to me unless your sister is on the shorter side.
In Tom's diet, as he says it is against even Government advice, he eats as much meat and fish as he likes, he has vegetables but cuts out all carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta) but eats all dairy products (eggs, cheese, cream, full fat yogurt). He will happily eat eggs and fried bacon for breakfast (no bread) and for desert at main meals fruit or berries with a generous dollop of clotted cream. Avocado and nuts are also a major part of his diet.
His exercise regime is minimal and in his estimation only contributes about 5% of a weight reduction program.
Only half way through but I am finding his book both interesting and useful for his experience and the results so far.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, Grandad. 9.5st is very serious because she is only approx 4' 7" tall! Reading what you have said about the edibles in that diet book, I fail to see how anyone could possibly lose weight on clotted cream etc! Your cholesterol level will go through the roof, surely? I really do believe that most people trying to lose weight just need to eat less. I eat anything and everything but I don't have a very big appetite, so I'm satisfied with much less than other people. I also don't get a lot of exercise so yet another reason to regulate the amount that I eat. I normally weigh in at about 6st - 6st 4lbs, which is on the light side but then again - with my tiny frame, I can't afford to carry too much weight.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think it's different folks different strokes really. I think a general rule if there is a rule across the species it is that those who convert food to body mass most efficiently have higher survival rates.

I was 9.5 stone at 5ft 8" when 5 months pregnant. Lets just say I'm rather more now. :oops: :lol:

If you farm animals you look for Good Doers, those who thrive on minimum food intake. Some are very difficult to put weight on and others easily get fat. People are the same, some naturally thin some not.

I have two daughters about 5ft 10" tall one never weighs more than 9 stone one and takes a small size 8 is very bony and does Pilates, swims and cycles regularly. She eats huge vegan meals erratically and drives for transport.

Her sister is a size 12 well muscled curvy Pilates instructor who eats frequent large amounts of vegan food during the day and has a bicycle for transport everywhere. Ergo though she doesn't eat more and takes more exercise she is about 14lbs and two dress sizes larger than her sister who is painfully thin and always has been as an adult.

Their father had a 28-32 inch waist at over 6ft, big shoulders excellent muscle definition. He could eat huge meaty meals, drink cream and take 3 spoons of sugar in his many hot drinks during the day. He took no exercise and never weighed more than ten and a half stone - 147lbs as an adult.

My side of the family are very skinny children, thin adults and heavier in middle age. We eat anything, are always active but when our inherited muscle problem arrives in middle age it slows us down then we put on the weight.

All different.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Saw the diabetes nurse today for my 6 month review. Mostly good news, blood sugar down from 46 to 42 mmol/mol, cholesterol good, kidney function good, folate a bit low so the doc had prescribed a course of folic acid tabs to rectify that. Need to get back to working a bit more on my weight but Heh Ho, 103Kg this morning. Got to get back under 100 ;)
SO, on that positive result we are again looking at going somewhere in the summer outside of these islands for a short break.
:up