Where are you all?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Where are you all?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, LLL, Kiya, MD, Fablux, Pat?

Where have you all gone to? Come on out to play! :D

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Where are you all?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have been really busy decanting stored stuff belonging to three generations of family and sorting it.
Today I was down to the last two big boxes - I chose the one labelled Photos.

Yes there were many I had never seen before. I especially loved the one of my Father, about 35 years old and grinning widely. His face transformed when he smiled which was very rare in a photo,he usually looked bleakly serious. He had perfect teeth and an impish grin. Lovely.

I also found a lot of small things that had been precious to me, but I thought had been lost for many years. One especially gave me a real thrill as I clutched it in my hand, and that was a small, perfect flint arrow head I had found about 45 years ago just lying on the steps in my garden. All by itself on a cleanly swept flagstone, how odd! It always has thrilled me to touch it and wonder about its history.

Most things that I treasure are very small and easily lost unfortunately, but I found in my Mother's box a tiny silver otter with it's foot on a fish. I've just measured him at 4cms head to tail tip and turning him over his 2mm feet with perfect pads are an absolute delight. I've never seen it before and Mum died 25 years ago.

I've had a lovely day. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've often thought it a shame that our younger generations don't seem to have the same interest in parents and grandparents memorabilia that we had. There are a host of things in my home that wouldn't make any sense to anyone else but do to me. If only the right questions were asked before it's too late!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I belong to Ancestry and really enjoy research when I have time. In the mountain of photographs my Mother left I can identify quite a lot because I was shown them as a child who never stopped asking questions.

It helps me a lot to identify people in a group when distant family members post pictures with the name of a stranger I couldn't identify.

I shall keep one hard archive as scrap books but I hope to do the family tree with photos and extra info on my computer then download onto USBs for my daughters and Grandson. Who knows I might get some help from them. :lol:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 pm Grandad, LLL, Kiya, MD, Fablux, Pat?

Where have you all gone to? Come on out to play! :D
I'm here and look in most days.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 pm I've often thought it a shame that our younger generations don't seem to have the same interest in parents and grandparents memorabilia that we had. There are a host of things in my home that wouldn't make any sense to anyone else but do to me. If only the right questions were asked before it's too late!

Many times I regret not listening more carefully to tales my mother used to tell about various people in the family,and now she is long gone I have no one else to ask so have long gaps in the family history that I have no way of filling in....so sad.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I agree, Pat! I was like MD - a nosy kid - and I know a lot more about my ancestors than my siblings, but once I shuffle off this mortal coil, who will pass on family lore then? :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I look in most days but it's been very quite . :(

My eldest brother has done our family tree for the 30 years, so far he has got as far as 17th century, not any murderer's etc in the family.............would be a bit exciting if there was a bad one somewhere :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Did Grandad ever get the results of his DNA test, does anyone know?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I am hoping to get some time in the next year or so to do a comprehensive family tree.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When I was about 14 years old my Grandfather spent a day telling me the details of an extended family on my maternal Grandmother's ancestry - along with their jobs and the area they lived. Very interesting as there were a lot of Smiths in it. We didn't have a piece of paper big enough so gummed sheets of brown paper together. As soon as Grandad left my Mum threw the whole lot away before I could stop her. :x

I've got back to the early 1700s on one line pretty boring mostly farm workers. My Grandad did tell me how they broke the Suffolk Punch horses to harness in Victorian times which was very interesting. He was born in 1878 I think.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh MD I wonder if your Mum new any secrets in the family :o shame really to lose that family history :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, I can't imagine that my Mum was "being discrete" as she was incredibly practical and her view was past is past. Her Father however used to regale me with his Naval tales. He lied about his age and joined the Navy when he was 15 years old, he thought it sounded more glamorous than working on a farm. He said that he changed his mind when he was in the Crow's nest at the top of the mast in a storm and the ship wallowed heavily from side to side. There were still a few sailing ships in the Navy at that time. He did well though, becoming a Chief Petty Officer Quartermaster before he retired.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Sorry been quiet but we had our son and his partner over for a week during the UK half term with Juliet's 11 year old niece for her first visit to France so was lovely but quite hectic. The weather wasn't too good but didn't stop them enjoying the break.

The grey skies over the last 2 or 3 weeks however triggered my SAD so after they left I have been pretty down & keeping to myself. Today however was a lovely blue sunny day & Barry & I went out for a drive to Usson du Poitou which has a boardwalk alongside the river then lunch at the Auberge de l'Ecurie. Did a bit of shopping on the way home & got some Xmas decorations 80% off, maybe they were old stock being cleared outr ready for the new years as it seems a bit early to be discounting but not going to complain as all ours are in Luxor still!

Barry's father drew up a lovely family tree, he even learnt caligraphy to write it up, it was really beautiful. After he retired he became Parish Clerk & was able to access lots of old records all round the county. It went back to the 1700's on his side & traced Barry's mother's side back to her French origins. Sadly it went missing after his death :cry:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I can sympathise with the SAD Fablux. I had to put the washing out on the balcony in broad daylight in Luxor in the middle of summer - because I was mostly indoors and didn't get enough daylight on my eyes otherwise. Ten minutes a day and the black cloud was gone. Mind you everyone thought I was mad - and they were right!
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I didn't think you were mad MD! :)

I had an SAD light in the UK but gave it away when we left. Barry bought a couple of bulbs which are meant to do the same here but there is no substitute for the real thing! I guess I had forgotten how bad it could be over 10 years in Luxor!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've been trying to post some photos of my DIL's first ever full size quilt that she allowed me to practise my quilting on, but unfortunately they have loaded into my album upside down! :(
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Unfortunately, they couldn't be corrected so Keefy has kindly deleted them. I will try again another day.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Keefy has very kindly turned my photos up the right way so they are in my album in the gallery, if anyone is interested enough to have a look! :D

DJKeefy Edit: Added your photo's below :)

10412 10413 10414
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Many thanks, Keefy! I've gone brain dead at the moment and couldn't remember how to do it! :-)