What are you finding especially pleasing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

What are you finding especially pleasing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Can you fall in love with a plant? :lol:

Right now I'm sitting next to my favourite - a pink Mandevilla which I have had for about three years. It is looking strong and healthy though the flowers have finished for now and every time I glance at her I think she's wonderful.

Early this year when I was unavoidably delayed in Ibiza after I had thought I was going for about a week, this plant was un-watered for 77 days and sitting in the bay window. She lost most but not all of her foliage but recovered and gave me beautiful flowers throughout the summer. She cost nearly £30 three years ago when I fell in love with her in the garden centre, but I had no idea how much until I got her home. Last year she was about 9 feet tall - I have to cut her back or I think she'd cover the house!

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you finding especially pleasing today?

Post by Grandad »

Can't think of anything particularly pleasing today MD. :( The weather is getting much cooler, usual Thursday taxi to the supermarket for weekly shopping.....nothing very pleasing about that. :(
Having said on many occasions, I am not a gardener, I needed to Google your Mandevilla. I guessed it might be something like Bougainvillea. RHS says it can grow to 7 metres (22 feet) so not something to have on an inside window cill :lol:
This is a picture from RHS which is probably like yours.
RHS_WSYD0012118_765016.jpg

Lovely :up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The flowers open a bit more than that but otherwise exactly. The flowers last for 10 to 14 days each and come out individually a few days apart so a cluster can last several weeks.

This lovely thing is great for inexpert gardeners as you can leave it standing in water, or as I unfortunately showed not water it for 7 weeks. You can let it go rampant and cut it back or not as you will, they are twiners, not climbers, not so antisocial. Some people cut it back to ground level every spring.

Last summer mine had a about 4ft growth at my head height which would suddenly swing out about and change direction by 90 degrees! I never found out why - it didn't appear to be following sun or shade but made people jump!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

MD your flower is looking beautiful :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Actually my day improved. :up
As we entered Sainsburys, they had a large rack full of bulbs and bulb kits to get some indoor colour and perfume going. I chose a white hyacinth kit with a nice ceramic pot, 3 bulbs and 3 compost pellets. We like white flowers in the house. :up You put the pellets in 600ml of water and they grow sufficient to fill the pot. You put 1/3 of the compost in the pot, place the bulbs on top (Horus, if you do look in, I DID put them pointy end up ;) ) then cover with the remaining compost. Store in a dark cool place until 4cm shoots appear at which time they can come indoors to the warmth and some TLC. ;) :lol:
Autumn is here and if the old wives tale is to be believed, we have a hard winter ahead. There is an abundance of acorns on the oak tree and the chestnuts have started to fall, so much so that, you can sweep them up on the patio. Here are some from this morning
IMG_20191010_150531.jpg
So the day is progressing well. Just need our gymnasts to have some success in Stutgart to finish the day 'Pleasing' ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today the most pleasant thing has been jumping into the waves as they crest with the Grandsons.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Gosh! I haven't had a roast chestnut for at least 20 years, I'll put that on my bucket list. I used to cook something with chestnuts in but bothered if I can remember what. I know eventually I used tinned ones. I'll have to look that up...…. a forgotten pleasure.

My pleasure on this dark and dreary day was some hot smoked salmon with sweet chilli sauce accompanied by wild rocket in a sweet potato wrap. Delicious and cheap.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I remember! Marrons Glace …………...Mmmmm

Oh yes the tinned ones were for putting with the brussel sprouts
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

My favourite thing today has been the footage from the hedgehog camera we have in the garden. We have 3 hedgehogs that visit and the funniest one this week was the look on the face of the pesky black and white cat who was examing the food tray when the hedgehog appeared and charged at the cat! I have never seen it move so fast before, the cat froze for a moment then fled! :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am not sure about a 'Pleasing' thing but this is this mornings chestnut harvest from the patio
IMG_20191012_120611_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Definitely a hard winter on the way and these are from just an overhanging branch on the neighbours side of the embankment. Their backyard is carpeted with them.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

While I was spending so much time in Egypt I missed a lot of UK TV series. Since being virtually housebound I've had the pleasure of discovering some of these.

Today it was Leading Edge - about a village cricket team. I was attracted to it because Brenda Blethyn was in it and I will watch anything with her on principle. Made in 1995 it's fuzzy and gentle comedy which I find so endearing after a diet of comedy made to shock, which does become very boring.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm finding it more than pleasing that I'm home and all chores are caught up plus the weather is looking pretty decent as well with a nice shining sun.

Today is "Thanksgiving." It is a floating holiday and this year it happens on a Monday which means there will be mega travel happening on all the roads and the Ferries will be absolutely full. We'd all agreed we're not doing anything cooking-wise or celebratory wise for today which in kinda a 'whew' as there just wasn't sufficient time to get home and then start preparing. And in a way I'm quite PLEASED I'm not in the kitchen with my arm up a turkey's bum stuffing it with stuffing and peeling veggies etc. :) :) :)