Paying over the odds!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Paying over the odds!

Post by Grandad »

When we travel abroad we invariably try to barter prices when buying in markets or independent shops.
I see nothing wrong in asking for a discount or suggesting a price that you would like to pay. In the UK we are not too bold at seeking discounts but when we are abroad, we have no qualms.
I take the view that the seller has a margin (mark up) for his goods. Very often this is 100% and more so he has plenty of room to negotiate. And remember, it is better for him/her to settle for a smaller margin and to make a sale than to have stock remain on his/her shelves.
What are your views folks? Do you seek discounts when appropriate?

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Paying over the odds!

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Maybe it is me (ok it is ME much to the chagrin sometimes of the daughter who is often with me) but I have no problem asking for a discount even in the big Box stores here. Here I'm usually not asking for more than the equivalent of the tax (12%) however almost everything here goes on sale. It is quite a rotation so if I'm buying something big I either wait 'til it comes on sale or I ask for a Manager to discount for me. If they don't I"ll walk and wait 'til it comes on sale which is usually giving the Store less than the discount I would have accepted.

In Mexico the discount discussions will happen if I opt to buy anything. Typically I now only shop at one specific store. I like the Owner and he will readily give up to a 50% discount. His shop is quite popular however he also links to half a dozen others so if you say you know him they'll 'deal' also.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A news topic today is about insurance companies ripping off customers with inflated renewal charges. There is an argument that existing customers are treated worse than new customers and there is advice that you should shop around for better deals.
On most occasions I prefer not to shop around. When I get advice of an insurance renewal, if it has increased significantly in my opinion, I will contact the insurer and express my dissatisfaction with the quote. Without exception, I get a reduction quite often to the same level as the previous year.
SO, like battering with a trader, it is worth taking on your insurers because they will not want to lose you custom and, as I always say to them, "Perhaps you can sharpen your pencil on that quote" and it works
;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our car insurance here is Gov't run and they are the only entity to provide. For some reason our "Insurance Corporation" here in BC (ICBC) is the worst run in the country and we're always in the red. In order to fix that starting Sept 1st at renewal most are getting significant increases hitting the younger drivers especially hard with their premium in some cases based on the criteria and log rhythms used TRIPLING.

I've never had an accident so have all the perks, gold stars and whistled offered and I pay them approximately $110/month however I carry all the liability under my house insurance policy (which is now being offered). I'm only 'gues-timating' but if I bought this through ICBC I'd be probably paying lover $200/month.