Steer clear of Stanstead

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Steer clear of Stanstead

Post by Grandad »

Yesterday my son in law went to Stanstead Airport (one of the five London airports) to meet his son and girlfriend. Good job he checked beforehand and as a result waited outside until they texeted to say they were at the pick up point. This is the tariff for drop off/ pick up :xx

Dropping someone off or Picking up
at Stanstead Airport

Tariffs (effective from 1st April 2019)
• Up to 10 minutes = £4
• 10 - 15 minutes = Additional £1 per minute
• Over 15 minutes = £25
• Vehicles must not be left unattended. Unattended vehicles may be towed and will incur a towing fee.
• There will be a £20 charge for re-entering within 30 minutes of first entering

Still cost him £4 just to pick them up. Bl**dy rip off.... :xx

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Steer clear of Stanstead

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is something like that at the Airport in Quebec City. I don't know about pick up fees cause soon as I got my luggage I text'd my daughter and walked outside to a pre-designated spot on the road where I waited 'til she drove by. She basically just stopped in the middle of the road and I opened the back door shoved in my suitcase then jumped into the front seat. A 30 second (if that) pick up.

On leaving though you MUST park in a specific parking lot that gives you something like 10 minutes FREE to drop off but it is about a 3 minute WALK to the Departure area. If you exceed that you then start paying something like $1 or $2/minute (might have been more I'm not sure but dawdling brought a fairly hefty exit fee). We basically got out and quick as a bunny ran into the airport where we said "Good-bye", hugs and she was gone.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@Grandad Wow what a cheek!......hope they don't start that at Aberdeen.

When I arrange for my brother to pick us up he usually sits around somewhere in the airport grounds, he tracks our plane & sees us landing so he judges how long we take to get baggage etc, once we're outside & a little bit from the main entrance we phone him to come pick us up....

Never a problem so far :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, it is a bit like hospital parking. Always used to be free, then they introduced parking fees. The first 20 minutes is free but then it can be quite expensive.
Blue badge disabled parking was also free in designated bays. About 2 years ago they put a charge of £2 a day in blue badge bays. :xx
Now I have a larger scooter I shall use that AND park in a blue badge bay :lol: :lol:
:gg:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Ouch those prices are really steep :!: We normally fly to Southampton as that's where our son lives & there is a direct flight from Limoges (only just over an hour away) but they are only April to the end of October and just a few over Xmas so outside that we have used Stanstead, will try to avoid that in future.
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

I think Heathrow is about the only airport left that don't charge to set down or pick up.