Pacemaker follow up

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Pacemaker follow up

Post by Grandad »

I saw the consultant this afternoon and the more I see this guy, the more I like him. He asked me how I was and if I had noticed any improvement in my wellbeing. My answer was a positive yes because I do not get breathless now and I know my pulse is back to normal. I monitor it occasionally myself.
I did say, if only I could get my legs to work better. What is it, arthritis? he asked. No, Peripheral Neuropathy, I replied. Then came a very encouraging comment from him.
"I am going to give you a prescription for a heart drug that IS available throughout the world but NOT in the UK. I have patients with PN and they tell me that the drug improves their condition and walking. He said try it for a month and if you find an improvement, contact my secretary for another prescription because your GP will not give you one"
He said I will see you again in 12 months. Don't you dare move to another hospital, I said. That is unlikely because I have just bought a house in the city.
Whoopee. I have every confidence in this man and he has gone further for me, an 85 year old, than any other cardiologist has gone in recent years.
BTW. The irony is that I still get the drug free on NHS.....now where is the logic???

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Pacemaker follow up

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad That is very very encouraging and I wonder how he can prescribe you a drug that isn't available via local GP? It is great that he can and will just curious how HE found it and is able to get it and I'm even more curious that your NHS doles it out for free! Isn't it all interesting in 'who' you know that is in the know?

What is this drug? Am curious if I've heard about it here IF indeed it IS available to the rest of the world but not the UK.

All in all a great deal for you and hopefully it will decrease the neuropathy so much you'll be out jogging about your streets soon :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I did take a photo of the scrip before taking to the pharmacy but the detail is uninteligable to me.
I will tell you when I actually get the prescription.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I really hope it helps with the PN Grandad :)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Very glad to hear that Grandad, really hope the drug works. I wonder if it is the same drug that we heard about where a UK chap was over here at his holiday home & had a heart attack. He had surgery & was put on a drug but when he took the details back to his UK Doctor he was told to go back to France as the GP couldn't prescribe it. He did & is doing well.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Re the new prescription. I collected the tablets on Monday, they are Trimetazidine 35mg. Having checked them out on line and the leaflet with the pills, I have decided not to start taking them until I have had a word with my doc.
I am not convinced that I even want to try them reading all the potential side effects.
:(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad That drugs is interesting. I Googled it and what it does, as per Google, seems good.

I check it off the official Canadian Gov't list of drugs prescribed here and it is NOT there so nobody here getting that one.

Also not FDA approved for use in the USA.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Probably a good idea to check it out first Grandad but maybe with the Consultant as your GP is unlikely to have any experience of it if he can't prescribe it.