From the Island

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

From the Island

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This type of event of people gathering in a circle and drumming is relatively common here. Drumming is taught in elementary schools to all the kids. They'll get their own hides and learn how to stretch and make their own drum. Some drums are elaborately decorated. Have to admit I really like deep rhythmic drumming. Evokes a rather primitive appeal.

I think the twins might be making their own drums this year.

This is "Kwakwala" by the Coast Salish people

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: From the Island

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This also just came out from the local School District when all the kids were celebrating National Indigenous People's Day. The capes are very prized and often handed down. They were originally made with abalone shell buttons (which are now really difficult to find) but now lots of the modern ones are made with sequins. Guess the younger generations like the sparkle more.

This clip also shows the back of the drums.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

An interesting activity to teach the children, I bet they drive their parents mad banging their drums all day. I wish we had made something like that at school, I would have made a big base drum like they have in a parade and banged it all day long whilst singing 'Silent Night' :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Actually the drums here are treated with a high level of reverence. Don't think I've ever seen a kid just playing with one or just standing around drumming on it for the fun of drumming. The Elders use them during talks and reference them very symbolically - ie. they represent the never ending circle of life, the 4 seasons, the 4 elements of life and on and on so really the kids never just play with them as from day 1 they're kinda regarded as extremely important.