New Scooter - well pre owned.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

New Scooter - well pre owned.

Post by Grandad »

Much as I like my little three wheeler it does find every bump and without suspension can make the ride a tad uncomfortable. It is very suitable for transporting in a car boot so I shall keep it for that purpose. It didn't cost the earth new and has given me good service for more than 18 months.
Recent few days I have been looking at medium size pre owned scooters. It is a minefield and their are so many makes and styles. I did find a nice one from the same stable as my three wheeler but I hesitated too long and somebody else beat me to it.
My brief was for a scooter with a 'suggested range' of 20 plus miles, 75Ah batteries, and a user weight max of around 25 stone. I am now 16 stone and work on the assumption that the construction would be robust for a much heavier person.
So. this afternoon I did the deal and expect delivery early next week.
Just to remind you, this is the old one
20180330 Pride Gogo elite traveller plus.jpg
And this is the 'new' one
20190718 New scooter Invercare Pro4.jpg
The old one has 9" wheels and the new one 12" although they look similar size in the pictures. Now looking forward to a more comfortable ride, 8mph, and with full lighting kit. :up

AND I MUST ADD THAT THE FIRST THING I SHALL DO IS REMOVE THAT 'NODDY' BASKET AS I DID ON THE 3 WHEELER. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: New Scooter - well pre owned.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - looks good and much more substantial the Scooter #1. You are seeming to use your scooter lots so IMO having an easy and smooth ride is necessary to really enjoy going out. Getting bumped isn't pleasant and over time will lead to you not really enjoying the ride and then hesitating to take it out for rides. I do think your first one will be great for the short jaunts you go one when out and about in a vehicle.

Does your new one fit bars that could carry a plastic shield to give cover in case you get caught in a sudden shower?

Also not too sure why the removal of the basket? If anything I think I'd want the basket but with a locking lid so I could be out and about and add things to it but lock 'em in so they wouldn't get nicked if I was momentarily away from the scooter.

Most I see around here and I'm seeing lots are fitted with a front and back baskets so they can carry all manner of items.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

4 wheels and a racing seat, what more could you ask for? :lol:
You will really notice the difference in stability with the 4 wheel configuration and getting over obstacles will be a lot easier. Anyway Grandad as it is likely to now become your only mode of independant transport then you may as well splash out on something more comfy, I can see Mrs G accompanying you on future trips in the 3 wheeler ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, those silly little baskets, apart from looking cissy on a blokes scooter, also have minimal capacity and, as you say, no security.
I have on the three wheeler a bag like a backpack that has quite good capacity and a degree of security, that secures to the back of the seat. That will transfer to the new scooter.
As for rain protection, I avoid going out if rain is forecast and if I do get caught out, I get wet. 😊
@Horus
I have already said we can have one each H. I could not possibly repeat her reply on here. I would be banned 😃😃
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad A backpack is a good idea. I'm thinking that most of the people I see around here on them are using them as their sole means of transportation as they possibly lack any familial help to shop so they really need someway to transport goods back home.

It is too bad in the design of these that they can't make them just a tad longer with a small locking boot. They're really not very secure if you're reliant on them to be carrying whatever you need.

I also see lots of people here with clear plastic covers on theirs so they can be out in all weather however again I'm thinking they might possibly need to have this as they have no other options. The odd scooter here I see with various trailer/wagon attachments for hauling stuff too.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I think the simplest way to be prepared for rain is to carry a plastic poncho in the 'backpack'. They are very cheap and take up little space.
On the question of carrying capacity, the very large scooters (almost as big as a small car) do have larger compartments for shopping etc. My backpack meets all my needs but if I have an over load, I have a strong shopping bag in the backpack that I simply carry behind my feet on the platform. ;)

LLL, this is my backpack which I reckon has a capacity of at least 20 litres.
20190719 Scooter backpack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahh.... that back pack is a decent size.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Update on the scooter saga.
I had mentioned that a second scooter would be delivered on Monday 29 July. That arrived and is very nice. I only did two very short trips then on Friday I did the slightly longer run to the supermarket. I was soon aware that there was some fault with the seat such that it seemed to twist for no reason.
I phoned the company and asked them to collect and refund which they will do on Monday without question, it is their policy if you are not entirely happy. They are as good as their word.
So I just have the small three wheeler and am seriously thinking about what I really need. The small one is really too small for everyday use but I am very happy with it. I have also come to the conclusion that a three wheeler gives a much better ride and benefits from excellent manoeuvrability so, I shall probably be looking at three wheelers in the future.

JUST CALL ME DELL BOY.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is too bad the 4 wheeler didn't work out but no way should the seat be moving as you're traveling along. I rarely see a 3 wheeler here and really kinda do not recall ever seeing a 3 wheel scooter here. Most of what are here seem quite large but our roads are rough so maybe the larger size gives a better ride over the bumps and humps. That being said it is possible the scooters here only seem larger as typically they're fitted out with rails that go up and over the driver so as to protect from the sun and rain. Possibly they're only seeming bigger to me.

If it was me I'd be looking for a scooter with bigger wheels and long(er) suspension cause that is what would make having a smooth ride which is what I'd deem important.

Best of luck finding another one. IMO keeping mobile is important so I wouldn't settle for the little one if it isn't cutting it fully I'd be out test driving lots of different ones.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, what I found with the two 4 wheelers that I tried was that if one front wheel hit a small bump, that kicked the sterring youke almost out of my hands. I never get anything like that with my small scooter and I am convinced that a larger three wheeler would not have the 4 wheel problem. Maybe I shall try some soon but meanwhile I have to complete the pacemaker procedure AND see if anything can be done to improve or at least contain my sight. I have another eye appointment on 31 August and an AMD injection on 1 September. They all know me well at the clinics by now ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - That is interesting the steering wheel is getting jerked about that much which also doesn't seem right to me. I'd of thought there would be something in the suspension or wherever that would counteract that and give a smoother ride. I'd also be assuming that the manufacturers are aware the bigger ones are being used more for serious travel so to me it would mean the bigger ones would be better built to accommodate all road conditions - rocks 'n all.

Best of luck finding one. Hopefully you can get something bigger and more able to handle all the bumps I the road ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Saw the fellow on the scooter again this morning so I flagged him down to ask him what he is driving. He has a "Breeze IV" and seems to be able to cruise our streets at a really good clip going about his day with it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, the Breeze 4 is made by TGA and all their range of scooters are available here. It is the brand that has been recommended tome by the company I have had dealings with. Here is one from their stock.
tga-breeze-midi-4-mobility-scooter-3169.jpg
May be slightly different to the one available in North America but this is the TGA Breeze 4 midi available here.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I still get brochures from TGA because I purchased my mums powered wheelchair from them, I can agree that they are a good make. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - That is good that you know the one I was referencing and it is available to you there. I was a bit worried it would be nothing more than an obscure name to you.

My sole knowledge of this one is based on seeing this one older fellow zipping along our roads here which are definitely not smooth & slick. Most of our roads are asphalt over gravel and the sides are the gravel that didn't get covered.

Most bike riders for years had to be able to ride on gravel however in the last few years there has been a movement here to extend the asphalt and create a bike lane for bike riders. If the road happens to have one of those I see the scooters in them however if there doesn't happen to be a bike lane here (and they're not terribly common yet) the scooters here have to contend with gravel that often has puddles, rocks, low & high points.

Hope this tidbit helps you in your selection and as an aside this fellow left the basket on front ;) plus he has a long pole going up behind him with a waving flag on it so he is visible to cars and more likely trucks (which are actually more common here than cars).

I can't really tell from the photo how similar or different the one you're showing to what is being driven here. The one here is a gold colour with black seat but the old fellow was sitting on it so I didn't really get a good view from all sides. Looks similar to me but I can hardly tell the difference between a Volkswagon Beetle and a Mercedes! ;) (which is one thing that Community Policing is dealing with - I don't have a clue as to what cars it might be I could see doing something. I'm not alone in this but I just do not know or recognize makes & models of cars. I CAN get a licence plate but to be able to tell the difference between similar looking makes and models - nope not me and not much inclination to learn either)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

but I can hardly tell the difference between a Volkswagon Beetle and a Mercedes
In the UK that is quite easy to tell, the Mercedes drivers never bother to use signals, they just pull out in front of you or turn left and right with no thought for other road users, I think that the user manual must tell them that they are superior to other road users, so they don't have to bother with such minor details as indicating. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus - Here it is the guys that drive the great but jacked up trucks that do that. Since they're triple the height of everybody else they figure they can OWN the road and do what they want. Speed limits also do not apply to them particularly if the weather is bad - "Shove'r into 4 wheel drive and burn around the countryside"...…"Oops you cut a corner and went over lawn?!?!? No probs just drop the gear and gun 'er and you'll make it. No matter the ruts you'll leave....." :o :o :o