What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yup - definitely "living a little" is worth it! :) :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here you go LLL, my third Moth Orchid is now in full flower, this one (at the bottom of the image) is really a miniture version of the white one just above it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigken

Post by bigken »

It looks the dogs b#####ks Grandad, specially in the red, a few more mirrors and a fishtail parka, you'd be at home on Brighton beach :D. As for me I've just finished packing, Phnom Penh done, time to move on to Siem Reap.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus You've definitely got the touch with orchids! The two I have left are looking healthy but are doing nothing. Come this summer I'm putting them outside and maybe even tying them onto the Japanese Maple tree. If the both make it and flower then they get to come back in the house. If they do nothing they better grow bark to get through the winter! ;)

Today has been a shopping day. Got a new winter coat and an 'all clear' at the Dermatologist (whew).
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@bigken
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not only Brighton mate, we used to get the Mods v Rockers on Margate beach. Hundreds of them used to converge on the town. Fishtail parkas? You are showing your age BK ;)
But that scooter is pretty cool.......am I as an 85 year old reliving my youth? The jury is still out on that one. ;) :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yesterday! Neither my #1 son nor his wife work on Wednesdays. They offered to do any local errand that we needed and then we would go to their home for lunch. I needed to visit my local garden centre for bird seed, some new propogation trays, and a packet of tomato seeds for next year.
I have mentioned that DiL Karen is a keen gardener so we were able to see some changes that she had made. It is not a vast garden but her aim is to create several hidden corners with generally high trees and bushes interspersed with colour. I think she is getting there and here are a few pics around her garden.
20190925 Karens garden-003.jpg
20190925 Karens garden-002.jpg
20190925 Karens garden.jpg
20160727_142335.jpg
My son is a sales exec for Hyundi cars and yesterday he was using their Ionic hybrid. Hyundi is probably a lesser known brand but they are well up in todays vehicle technology. On the journey from the garden centre to their home we travelled about 8 miles allong a dual carriageway. He set the cruise control to 70mph, took his feet off the pedals and his hands off the wheel and let the car do the driving. We really are not far from driverless cars.
This is a fairly large family saloon and it was recording 104 mpg with dual drive. :up :up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Up at 5am, checked out and on the road by 530am and now sitting in the Ferry terminal wAiting for the 745am back to home. Pouring rain, super overcast with a decent breeze but not enough yet to stop the Ferry.

Yesterday a convoy of 200 logging truck from the North invaded downtown Vancouver city to protest all the lost jobs in logging. Wasn't there but the size of those trucks must have really snarled the streets.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I hope you brought yourself a few goodies back with you LLL :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

@Grandad - I really do envy people with 'garden vision' and your son & DIL's is lovely!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Probably one of the roughest crossings I've had in a long time. Truly appreciate that although I was approximately 10 days back from the front and beside the interior walls of the ship the waves were splashing so high the front of the car got splattered with sea water (WHICH I have now had to wash off the car). White caps galore and the Ferry had a hard time making any headway. Am not sure the next sailings actually sailed.

My trip was good. Dermatologist visit and all the skin on my face - even the 'shadow' on my nose the daughter saw is healthy cells! (WheW!) And the one spot on my chest the Dr burned off with nitrogen and will see if it grows back when I see her again this spring.

I did cruise the stores and found the twins each a microscope that will be their main Christmas present. They're basic starter kits so I need to figure out what else they might need to make the kits viable i.e. they come with plastic tweezers. Those will be easily replaced with a metal set out of the Dollar Store. I'll probably order a few more slides too as I think there are only 3 or 4. Need to find them a book that explains in detail what they're doing and looking at. Course, knowing them they'll love the book more than the microscope. There is a little booklet but it is pretty basic.

Bought a few other things - a retractible garden hose for the deck which means I can now get rid of the old constantly crimping hose, some terrific old cheese, coffee beans, thread, Schmetz needles and some fabric :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have a similar area famed for rough crossings LLL, it's called the Irish Sea between ourselves and Ireland, I have had some scary crossings during the Winter months.
Those pressies sound great for the twins, I always wanted one as a kid :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@Grandad Your dil & son have a lovely garden, like the way the grass is cut in heart shape in first picture. :)

@LLL Your well ahead on Christmas presents , I haven't even thought about it yet :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

CHRISTMAS? To coin Boris Johnsons comment in Parliament yesterday "HUMBUG" ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Me I can't stand crowds and the thought of Christmas shopping mid December is the last thing I want to do. I want always to be done asap. I wasn't looking per second for these but when I saw them it was a done deal and a whew re Christmas shopping.

Sun is out today. What to do?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I know that I have said that if I got another scooter it would be a three wheeler.
I know I recently said I was seriously considering a three wheeler that looked like a Vespa scooter.
I know I said that I would want a scooter with suspension.

Well forget all that :lol:

I located a used mobility dealer just 15 miles away at Margate and yesterday my son took me to have a look at their stock. I ended up selecting none of the above and this afternoon took delivery of a Rascal Vantage X. A smart medium size 6 mph scooter with large battery capacity and a claimed range of over 20 miles. I didn't want to pay the earth for my occasional useage and I did a very good deal with the proprietor, a really nice guy who delivered this afternoon and fully explained everything about my new 'carriage'. First trip in the morning on the regular Saturday morning run. This is it....
20190927 Rascal Vantage X.jpg
Need I say, that basket will be OFF in the morning. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Woo Hoo! It looks pretty good. I think the four wheeler will do you much better on your streets. Let us know how it goes once you've taken it out for a spin and are back home.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Very nice new wheels Grandad (& it's red) ;)
bigken

Post by bigken »

3.45 alarm call, tuk tuk pick up at at 4.20. Next stop Angkor Wat ticket office to part with $74 for a day pass ( for 2), then on to Angkor Wat to join the many many hundreds of others to catch the sunrise over the temple. It got nailed, so spent the next 6hrs looking around 3 of the many temples there. We decided to keep to 3 for 2 reasons, 1st the risk of getting templed out and the 2nd, the good lady had a knee replacement at the beginning of May, didn't want her to over do it ( while carrying my camera bag 😅).
As it turned out 3 was more than enough, only so much you can take in the heat and humidity before you bail out, ive never seen so many selfie sticks. So we bid goodbye to Cambodia and fly to Da Nang tomorrow.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Have a good trip BK :up I have always wanted to visit Ankor, don't forget to upload some piccies. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All sounds great BK :up And SO thoughtful of you to give your good lady a break from carrying your bag, you are a real Gent BK ;) ;) :lol:
I second Horus's request for pictures on your return.....we are all waiting in expectation :up

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, I did my first trip on the new'ish scooter. Actually it is about 3 years old but has seen little use and is in showroom condition. All good, more comfortable than the little trike. Although it has no sprung suspension, it copes with the usual minor bumps very well due to having pneumatic tyres. I did find that at the 4mph setting it seemed slower than the trike but I have measured the trike at 5.4mph. At the 6mph setting it is very good on the road.
So Grandad is a happy bunny. ;)

Little bit of pottering outside today. I have now collected and dried some seed from this years tomatoes, Red Cherry, to try my luck at propogating from seed. I also took about 20 cuttings from the geraniums before I pull them out. It is a bit late and I am pushing my luck but they have a choice, live or die. :lol: