What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I arrived at the hotel yesterday morning and this morning when I went for breakfast I saw a note in my door asking me to come to Reception, at my convenience, so they could tell me about "NEW UPDATES!!" OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ate breakfast not in a good mood figuring this time I'd meet but basically just bang the table and walk away.

Turns out though the NEW updates for this hotel is that they've opened another hotel in Chicago and IF I wanted to book a stay I could for half price and it would be totally fine even if I wanted to book anytime over the next five or so years :) And, of course, if I wanted to re-book into here I could at a discount particularly if I wanted to come in the low season.

All I can say is "whew" and this was much more of what I did expect along with all the info on the Spa and the deal(s) they're offering this week. And "yes" I have checked my accounts and nothing has been taking about but I've also notified the Credit Card Company telling them of this and saying if there is a $12,000 charge put through it isn't to go.

NOW I'm waiting to get the email whereby I get to RATE the place. I tend to slam them over this and if I can I'll post it to Trip Advisor. :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I wish I had something to contribute here but there is very little going on in my life at the moment. Pleased to say my mood is 'Happy' because (touching wood) I do not have any worries on my mind. Other than personal medical stuff but I know I have bored the life out of that topic. :(
Had lunch at Chapmans with daughter and SiL yesterday which is the highlight of the weekend. They had a 'Groupon' voucher for Fish Rondue. We are not keen on that so we had the lunch menu that was really very good.
My sister saw her oncologist last Thursday following a full head and body scan and the results are looking optimistic. They can't cure it but signs are that they will contain any further development around her body. :up
Probably no need but I am getting a little anxious about Kiyas whereabouts. I believe she went off to Vegas on 21 January which is almost three weeks ago. I don't recall her saying she would be away that long.
Pop in a post Kiya so we know all is well with you......missing you already ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - That is good news on the sister front and likewise am thinking Kiya should have been back on here by now HOWEVER although I'm here I do know that LOTS of the mid-west in the USA was hit with horrendously cold weather (like minus 30+ to minus 50ies) and all their airlines got jammed up. People here were dreading going home to a ridiculously frozen homeland. It IS possible, cause didn't Kiya mention also going to New York City as well (or am I dreaming?) that they added a week or so to her hols to get her past this cold snap as highly doubtful she would have even been able to walk outside.

Today is a beach day so am going to be on the look out for any more movie stars walking around! :))) Hopefully I'll recognize 'em this time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am HOME and it is one degree above freezing with 50cm SNOW out there!!! Sort of scratching my head and wondering why I headed home (but it was time).

There has been an Arctic front here and even Schools have been closed Monday to Wednesday. Everybody went yesterday but am not too sure about today cause within hours of me getting home it snowed again all last night probably another 5cm or so.

Since I had to shovel out the driveway (I'd emailed and confirmed with a Company who has done other work for me to come and do it but ?? Unless they have a good reason to explain to me why they didn't I think they've now lost the spring time cleaning up contract). I think I might have lost 1 orchid - not sure why it yellowed up and dropped leaves as the other 3 are still looking good so go figure.

Temperature is now 1 degree over zero and a light mist is falling that I hope will turn to rain and wash this away.

Got the hummingbird feeders filled up and outside. Am sure the hummers will appreciate it as all three were bone dry. Been staring out the back window to see if I can see the swans - hope they are still there.

Now to unpack and laundry ......
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Glad you got home OK LLL. :up
You can keep the white stuff, yesterday we had the warmest St Valentines day for more than 20 years with 16C recorded in Bala, Wales. Today has been similar with cloudless blue sky and warm sunshine. Keep it coming I say :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Glad you got home okay, LLL! :up Hope you get acclimatised very, very soon.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I hope I acclimatize soon too. I'm FREEZING!

When I was gone the daughter was saying the temperatures here fell to minus 17 or so. Ridiculously cold and the dump of snow was big too. Two days earlier I wouldn't have made it home, wouldn't have even landed in Seattle WA due to the huge dump of snow they got.

Right now it is melting here but only cause it is 1C. I'm really hoping it'll warm up a couple more degrees and pour rain to take down the snow.

Haven't seen any hummers at the feeders yet but soon as 1 'finds' them again they'll all flock in. Nor have I seen the swans but the marsh is totally frozen over and covered in snow. Hope that hasn't put the run on them as I really love watching 'em.

AND - since Grandad mentioned Valentines day ......... HAPPY BELATED VALENTINES to EVERYBODY (totally forgot about it)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Didn't you get my card LLL ? ;) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Definitely and the flowers and the chocolates too! :))) Hope you got mine too! :D :D :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You should have done. I sent the same to Kiya, RS, and MD as well. Just improving the odds for a result ;) :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you Grandad they were lovely - but did you get the surprise that I sent to everyone? ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

On Tuesday my youngest daughter cleared the last boxes from the storage depot - took about half to local charity and brought the rest in a big van to me.

I have been sorting through not only my own stuff but my mother's which according to the newspaper wrapping was packed in 1985! Smells Horrible but I am finding absolute gems of memory.

There's a good deal to still go to charity beautiful china, which I shall repack and all sorts of oddments put into boxes regardless of their worth. A lot of kitchen hand tools which apparently charities don't like and who uses Fish Knives and Forks these days? Ok for scrap if silver, but EPNS no one wants so I'll have to chuck them.

Yesterday's best find for me was a collection of the best photos I have ever taken and thought was left in Egypt. Not only the prints which had cost over £400 back in the mid 90s but the reciept and the original developed film. I miss "Baby" my Cannon EOS 500 which is still in Egypt, but I don't miss the cost of film and developing! I am tempted to seek one out though it wasn't digital.

Todays best find the recipe book Take a Buttock of Beef! :lol: :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD your finds sound delightful and the enjoyment of re-living trips down memory lane priceless!

IF I was to be granted a wish it would be to explore the homes of the very elderly to discover their 'treasures' from the past. I always find old ornaments, dishes, linens, paintings, miscellaneous stuff from the past fascinating. Seems in days gone by how people decorated their homes to reflect their lives which IMO were often riches for travels and experiences than today.

Here today we're above freezing and the great melt continues (so far fingers crossed). Been watching the hummingbirds at the feeder. They have re-found them again now that they're full and rapidly depleting the sugar water. No sign of the swans (drats) but maybe they'll re-appear once the ice on the marsh melts but ??

Will probably venture out to the grocery store today and maybe head over to the see the Grandkids this afternoon. They've got ice skating and all their activities today so am not sure they'll be around - gotta phone and check. Brought them back each a Serape.

Now that I've had a chance to sort through the newspapers and advertisements I'm seeing that many of the stores have all manner of spring plants in! Good news is they HAVE spring plants in. Bad news is since they're in small 4" pots many of them might be frozen so will have to carefully watch what I'm planning on buying which are some more ferns (got the idea from Grandad). The couple I planted last year did phenomenally well so I plan to add a couple more out there.

Will have to decide whether to Begonia tuber up this year or not. My one tuber from last year was a total flop except the tuber itself grew larger and yesterday I saw it had 1 eye already out so it'll probably get plopped into soil to see what it does or doesn't do this year but :tk :tk to add more or not? That is the question.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My little daffs that I had last year in pots at a ridiculously low price are showing through indoors. I nearly threw them away in the Great Clear Up. :oops:

Very glad I had the house straight at last before the big influx of stuff this week, I don't think I could have coped otherwise.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD when I moved into this house I bought 3 bags of daffodils with each bag having something like 75 bulbs. Each bulb was huge, King Alfred type. The following spring I had an absolutely amazing display. The front of the house was gorgeous. Next year only about 1/3 of them came up and last spring I think 2 daffs flowered.

I did the same thing in the States in my house there. I planted a couple hundred bulbs to get a huge display. The next year it was down to less than half and with each following year fewer and fewer appeared. I put it down to squirrels eating the bulbs, wet weather but now I'm not too sure that the daffodils being sold are not in some way forced so all the Ooomph goes out of them after they flower.

When I was a kid we had daffodils growing in the pastures everywhere. They never seemed to die and easily naturalized but now something has changed ....
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Grandad wrote:You should have done. I sent the same to Kiya, RS, and MD as well. Just improving the odds for a result ;) :lol: :lol:

Nothing for me..... :cry: :( :a12: :a16: :a76:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Whoops, Grandad! You forgot Pat! Never mind, Pat. Here's a red rose for you! :rs

I honestly don't think my week could get any worse - unless you know different! :cry: It started on Tuesday when we got up to find the water heater was leaking all over the place. The pilot wouldn't stay lit so no hot water. We have been frantically trying to find a replacement heater but they don't make ours any more. To change to a newer model would mean structural work which we don't really want to do. Hopefully I have tracked one down but will only know by Tuesday/Wednesday. Providing we can get one, we have someone all lined up to fit it, fingers crossed! Also on Tuesday, I was chewing on a nut and it knocked my back tooth sideways! It literally was sticking out of the side of my gum. Oh, the agony! So off to the dentist on Friday for an extraction. Having no hot water meant it was a fiddle to get the washing machine working because it's a hot and cold fill, and the wash box was overflowing. We had to blank off the hot pipe. This morning I managed to get two loads of washing done. Into the tumble dryer went the first load and I got another load of washing into the machine. About 30minutes later I heard a strange sound; tracked it to the dryer. I promptly turned the dryer off and DH came out and opened the door - just in time to rescue the clothing before it went up in smoke! :o So here I sits with two loads of wet washing; no hot water; no tumble dryer and no washing line to put it out! Can't put it on radiators either because I don't have central heating! :cry: :cry:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

@Ruby Slippers..... :bl: :thanks:

Gosh your week couldn't have got much worse...nothing worse than no hot water or a load of wet washing,but look at it this way things can surely only get better....hopefully :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Roses for HurghadaPat :rs :rs :rs

And

Roses for RS :rs :rs :rs too just cause your week sounds awful! I can't stand it when appliances break. Such a pain and inconvenience and so much bother to have to run here there and everywhere trying to find fits. As for teeth - OMG - I've had so much dental work and still one by one my teeth just keep deteriorating. They just randomly break and chip. Hope having it pulled wasn't too bad and definitely hope you're able to find a hot water heater that fits your spot.

As for today I'm boiling the Christmas turkey bones to make soup. I froze them all after Christmas but since I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for soups and stuff I decided it was time to get some soup stock made so I can make a few batches of soup for ready meals. Other than that I've been watching Nat Geo on TV re: The Galapagos. Always interesting.

Have refrained from joining the great debate going locally online re: shoveling snow off our sidewalks. There are City bylaws that say snow has to be removed from sidewalks within 24 hour otherwise there is a $109 fine. And needless it is dangerous to walk on the roads around here when ther eare no cleared sidewalks however the issue is - you can go out and clear off your sidewalk only to have the plough come through and recover all your work. Second is it really never does snow here that much and typically it will melt in short order so do we really need Bylaw Enforcement to come through and start levying fines for anybody who doesn't clear off their sidewalk? OR should we all just tolerate the snow, take extra care, put up with the inconvenience of not having clear sidewalks? (And I do realize that for some snowy sidewalks means they're housebound)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have to look on the bright side - especially over the tumble dryer, because another couple of minutes and it would/could have been a house fire! :( Thanks for the kind words, ladies! :up