Board index » GENERAL » General Discussions and Rants

Post subject: Brexit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:08 pm  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Topics: 409
Arcade Highscores: 0
United Kingdom
We have all steared clear of this subject to avoid political disagreement, no doubt :?:
I think the process is beyond party politics which is evident with the cross party opinions on the terms of us leaving the EU.
I voted to leave because I honestly believe that we will be better off managing our own affairs without the need to get approval from Brussels. The majority thought like me BUT I do think that there should have been more consideration by the government and more information about the possible outcome of the exit negotiations BEFORE the vote.
If it had been made very clear what a sticking point the Northern Ireland border would become, the vote would have probably gone the other way.
The last thing we want is to return to a hard border between the Irish Republic and the six counties that form Northern Ireland.
We now know that in the legal advice to the government about the exit deal, the likelihood is that the so called back stop could be in place indefinitely. If that was to be the case then Northern Ireland would continue to be linked to the EU and governed by many of its laws and regulations. There would also be contributions to the EU budget required for such partial membership.
The whole thing is now a total mess in my opinion and Theresa May will almost certainly lose the vote on Tuesday. And then what?
If it is an overwhelming defeat then she will have little choice but to resign. If she doesn't there will almost certainly be a vote of no confidence by Tory members. Who could replace her???
There is certainly a rocky road ahead and I am now wondering if the 'Peoples Vote' will in fact happen with us ending up as a member of the EU and withdrawing our article 50 application.

Leaving politics aside, what are your thoughts???

Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm  |  Posted from: Canada

Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Topics: 1954
Arcade Highscores: 1
Canada
I can't truly comment as I only get snippets of info here and nobody has really provided comprehensive "YES" or "NO" info here complete with all implications. I can imagine though this is a life altering decision.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 pm  |  Posted from: Canada

Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Canada
Been watching the morning news here and there is ZIP being said re: Brexit other than that May is really pushing "HER" agenda on this ..... just a rather cryptic one liner from a talking head.

Lots being show about France & the Yellow Jackets - BUT - and this will bring a smirk - it is being said within the context that TRUMP told Macron he'd be in trouble implementing more taxes on the people over adding more taxes especially the carbon tax/climate preservation yadda yadda yadda that Trump refused to join. Now good old Macron has been forced to cancel his tax which doesn't bode well for his future career in politics methinks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 pm  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

United Kingdom
So, at 3.30 this afternoon our PM will address the Commons to tell them that she has delayed the vote on the terms of the Brexit deal. Just prolonging the agony in my opinion. I feel sure that the writing is now on the wall and her days as PM are numbered.
If there is no satisfactory solution to the Irish border problem without a 'Hard Border' then I can now see either another referendum OR withdrawal of our application to leave. Neither of which is what the referendum of June 2016 decided.
I do still want us out but not at the risk of opening all the old wounds of the 'Northern Ireland Problem'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 pm  |  Posted from: Canada

Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Canada
Interesting that while we're not hearing much re: Brexit here a talking head in passing did just give a 10 second that North Ireland would be an issue. Not really knowing too much the workings of everything I never realized any of the issues associated with Northern Ireland which as my very limited understand goes would be very serious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm  |  Posted from: Canada

Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Canada
I guess it is 'congrats' to Theresa May for surviving a no confidence vote and it is understandable she doesn't want to continue on. Seems Brexit is just eating up politicians.

Again all I'm getting here on Brexit is a ticker line so I have minimal details of anything.

Insights on the tone of the country? Is this really a pull the country apart deal? (seems here it is - almost like the USA last election down to 50/50 in most of the country)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 pm  |  Posted from: United Kingdom

Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

United Kingdom
Well it is not going well. Poor Theresa seems to get rebutted by all in Brussels and she is a wounded PM back home. I have the greatest respect for the lady for the manner in which she has continued her efforts to get solutions that will be acceptable to Parliament. I am beginning to think this is a lost cause and what seems to be looming is either No Deal and all the problems that will bring, or the Peoples Vote, or second referendum which may reverse the original decision but that can not be assured.
I can only see the Irish border being an insolvable problem.