Cycling and walking - first check the map.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Cycling and walking - first check the map.

Post by Mad Dilys »

Yesterday I set off for my assessment at Pedal Power, which is in Sofia Park Gardens. http://www.cardiffpedalpower.org/

The address is somewhat confusing as it is given as Dogo Street and isn't!

My Taxi driver had to speak to reception 3 times on the phone and turn the car round for a journey that cost me £6.40.

The staff were casually pleasant and very informative - the range and number of different kinds of human/electric powered vehicles was simply amazing. All ages, sizes, shapes and abilities of people are catered for.

I didn't feel confident to tackle a bicycle as I haven't ridden for about 50 years and I'm 5 stone heavier than I was then ( I was skinny mind :oops: ) When I rode again after a 20 year gap and less extra weight I found it quite difficult to adjust to, so I went for the Trike instead.

I loved the sit-up and beg trike with electric assist but my legs were too long :( and fouled the handlebars as I turned. Also to be honest, I found it very difficult to press down on the pedal from the top of it's circuit. I had had trouble with these long legs all my life - when I was young stockings and trousers were always too short, and my youngest daughter who is taller than me insists that I put the driving seat back every time I get out of the car -"Are you seriously telling me that your legs are 3 inches longer than mine?" Yes actually.

Sooo I was given the semi-reclining job with Easy Rider Handlebars. I didn't like the look of it and thought I'd feel vulnerable - not so.

I loved it!! It was comfortable and fixed wheel, which I liked as it's quite long and turning it in the road was like three point turning car, easy peasy. I went up and down a few times and decided that I wouldn't do too much for the first session so called it a day and returned to the café and became a member and booked more sessions.

I was a lovely day and I thought I'd walk to the main road and call a taxi after the problems of getting there. I walked, and walked enjoying the birdsong and open space and then I walked some more of course with my trusty rollator in case I fell. It seemed much further than when I came in, but I felt fine so when I came to the main road I thought, it's not far now, not worth getting a taxi. It was over a mile, I haven't walked anywhere near that for a year and I really enjoyed it - I was so happy and excited that I could cycle.

I checked the map this morning. If I had gone on foot it would be .3 of a mile, because there is a small footpath from the main road. I'd gone a mile out of my way. :oops:

I am a bit stiff in the old leg, and it kept me awake a bit last night, not too bad though. So at 1.30 every day Inshallah I shall be enjoying the open air, the birds the trees the people ..................... :up 8)

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Cycling and walking - first check the map.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like you had a pretty wonderful day MD! :up :up :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That all sounds fantastic MD :up all you need now is your little hat and you can look like Noddy on your bike :D (only joking)
But seriously it all sounds really good and we can tell that you are really pleased about it, so good luck with it and don't overdo it, take things steady. Once you get some better mobility back you will feel better in yourself by getting out more and enjoying everything around you. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

What a great idea and such a wide range of cycles to meet all needs. :up
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Sounds good, glad it all went well for you to enjoy :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you all, I was on such a high, it was wonderful.

I've been invited to the next quiz night - it came about like this........

I was being dealt with by Sian at reception and a big bluff guy with a teenager was waiting. He looked at the computer being used and said "However did they communicate before computers?"

He was looking at me so I said "You'd write a note and feed a chap if he would carry it in a forked stick to the destination where he would get another meal - before money of course".

Before he left he came over to me and said very seriously "Thank you, I really didn't know that before"

Was he joking? :ni:

I made it up of course, but on the strength of that I was invited to the next quiz night. 8)

PS I've got a camera, just haven't go round to posting anything here. (I'll have to look up the instructions) ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have a blast MD! :) Am excited to see your photos too. Quite easy to get them on here and NOW you can post 5 at a time. ;) :)

BTW - have to ask - are you going to put anything eccentric or flashy or showy on your bike? I see around here sometimes Seniors who have put the handlebar streamers on their bikes, most have huge tall flags flying, some have carriers for their little dogs. One elderly fellow is regularly walking his Chihuahua and has a whole box + ramp so the dog can run up and sit and ride when they're tired of running behind (although he rides a trike real slow so the dog is hardly running). I was one lady on a trike who had a bit of a dash board made she had a couple of little solar powered animated character guys who gyrated back and forth glued to it. (Looked tacky to me but am sure it gave her something to talk about). Not suggesting you do that but how are you going to personalize your ride?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

At the moment I'm riding a semi-recliner, so don't know if I will be able to ride a sit up and beg. If I eventually can, then I want a white one (or maybe pearlised turquoise) with a big basket on the back for a trike, or panniers on a bike.

If I ultimately get a road scooter I will be a very happy bunny. 8)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, am I wrong? I assumed that you hired the cycle at the club by pre-arrangement. Will you actually be buying your own? If so I would defo be going for the power assisted jobbie, but I am a sedentary old b*gger. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I am hiring at the moment Grandad, until I'm comfortable with a model that I can use on the road and store at my house.

I love the electric trike but I'm not fit enough to use it yet.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

PS Yes I'm hiring by pre-arrangement and for some models you require assessment first - which is what I had yesterday.

They are very careful to write full notes on any medical condition, very thorough all round.