Syrian Refugee Meal Allowance

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Syrian Refugee Meal Allowance

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This morning’s Vancouver Sun states that Syrian refugees will be paid a meal allowance per person per day of $15 for breakfast, $16 for lunch, and $30 for dinner by the Federal Government. Thus, a typical family with four kids will receive $186/day or $5580/month for meals alone, and this from a government that somehow cannot afford more than about $1100/month for all expenses for pensioners.

For our Federal Gov't to allow that much is IMO absolutely ridiculous. It is also, in my opinion, doing the Refugees a really big disservice in that it is introducing them to an unrealistic and unsustainable way of life. Once the dust settles they are going to have to live on welfare (unless they work) which will give them about $1450/month and a BIG chunk of that is going to have to go towards rent. They will get child allowances (not sure that exact amount but at least a hundred per month or so per child).

News like this is also causing lots of concern amongst us locals who no way NEED that much money per meal to live on.

What is bugging me is that rentals are running at less than 1% here. There are NO accomodations. We don't run a big surplus yet our new crazy Prime Minister said we'd bring in 25,000 people BEFORE the end of the year! Well he didn't think logistically about anything let alone the number of planes needed to fly IN that many people. WHERE did he think he was going to put them all? And IMO putting people from Syria into the Prairies or some of the northern areas of Canada would be more than punitive! And to require our own military people to give up their lodgings is equally awful IMO. And this happened just pre-Christmas.

I'm not saying refugees aren't positives. We do need people to work and contribute but it is crazy to just suddenly bring in that many totally new people not familiar with the life style here and expect them to just assimilate and get along.

This is the actual news article:

Open Vancouver’s Jericho barracks for Syrian refugees, Ottawa urged
Extra beds could be used as transitional hous
By Tara Carman, Vancouver Sun December 14, 2015
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/open+v ... z3w8PUOtgj

VANCOUVER — The Immigrant Services Society of B.C. is pushing the federal government to use the Jericho military barracks as transitional housing for the thousands of Syrian refugees expected to arrive in Metro Vancouver in January and February.

Initially, the federal government’s plan had been to house government-assisted refugees on military bases in Ontario and Quebec before sending them on to one of 36 resettlement communities across Canada, said Chris Friesen, settlement services director with the Immigrant Services Society of B.C.

Ottawa now hopes to limit the use of military bases and send refugees directly to their new communities, Friesen said. Metro Vancouver is the only such destination community in B.C.

In Vancouver, due to a shortage of suitable accommodations, ISS of B.C. is suggesting the Jericho military barracks could be used as a temporary measure to house refugees before moving them to permanent housing.

As it stands now, government-assisted refugees will spend their initial two to three weeks in a reception centre in Metro Vancouver, Friesen said. This could be Welcome House in downtown Vancouver or a local hotel.

“We’re being picky. We want hotels that have kitchenettes so people can cook themselves. We want to have hotels, ideally, with more than 40 rooms because we want to centralize it as much as we can with a limited number of sites. We’re looking at hotels in Vancouver, Richmond and Surrey currently,” he explained.

Use of the Jericho barracks “would provide us with a whole bunch of beds that we don’t really have right now,” Friesen said.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokeswoman Nancy Chan, in an emailed statement, identified six military bases in Ontario and Quebec that could be used as refugee reception centres. She did not directly address the question of using Jericho, saying only that “no other (interim lodging sites) have been identified.”

It has been revealed that the federal government is seeking to book a swath of hotel rooms in Toronto and Montreal to accommodate the influx of Syrian refugees.

Between now and March, Ottawa needs 300 rooms daily in each of the two cities to house about 600 refugees per night, according to a notice posted Friday on a government procurement website. Suppliers will also be expected to provide meals.

The length of stays will vary: some will leave the next morning, others will need “two or more nights.”

Hotels will be expected to provide up to three meals a day. It states the government will reimburse up to $15 per person for breakfast, $16 for lunch and $30 for dinner.

The government is also asking suppliers set aside rooms for two government representatives who will be on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the duration of the bookings.

Chan said the government expects to spend $61 million to $77 million on overnight hotel accommodations and other activities to welcome refugees when they arrive.

The government has said it plans to invest $678 million over six years toward the resettlement and support of Syrian refugees.

Here in B.C., after temporary accommodation, the next move will be to find permanent housing for the refugees. The Immigrant Services Society has been collecting and mapping offers of housing in recent weeks and has close to 1,000 leads throughout the province.

About three-quarters of government-assisted refugees typically settle in Surrey, Coquitlam or Burnaby.

But many of the housing offers are in Vancouver, raising questions as to how refugees would afford to live in their new communities when they eventually would have to move. For families with children, it may mean shifting school districts. Refugees receive the same allowances for housing as people on welfare, which for a family with two or more children, is about $800 per month.

The private sector has also stepped forward with generous offers of housing for refugees, Friesen said.

“They want to put them in Vancouver and they’re willing to cover the rent for a year, whatever the cost. But we’re saying you can’t do that because the fall would be too far after the one year, because you can’t go from a $3,000-a-month hotel in Vancouver to a $800 basement suite in Surrey.”

Immigrant Services Society has also received about 6,000 volunteer applications for people who want to help settle Syrian refugees, Friesen said. The society is waiting on funds from Ottawa to provide training that would include an overview of Syrian history, culture and traditions.

“We’re looking at bringing together five or six volunteers ... and asking them to support a family not financially, but socially, emotionally for a three- to 12-month period,” he said.

Since Nov. 4, 926 Syrian refugees have arrived in Canada. Most have been privately sponsored by community groups in Quebec and Ontario. Just over 200 privately sponsored refugees and an unknown, but likely small, number of government-assisted refugees will arrive in B.C. before the end of the month.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/open+v ... z3w8PlvOWT

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Syrian Refugee Meal Allowance

Post by Horus »

All sounds ill thought out to me :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I thought charity began at home?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm all for offering some sort of aid, but it does seem that our governments are very keen to hand over OUR money when so many things at home need fixing for the same people who handed over that money in the first place. :td
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The max a pensioner here can get is around $1100 which is ridiculously low so to read the MEAL allowance for a refugee far exceeds what a pensioner here is getting is very hard to swallow. We have lots of pensioners who really are counting pennies yet they don't hold the voting power.

There was no thinking behind any of the plan to suddenly move that many people here. As I said we have something like a 1% vacancy rate - WHERE are we going to get spaces for all these people. Is it really right to be putting them into basements and makeshift places?
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL its "really right" to ship them back where they came from, goddam do-gooders. I loved the Swedish report on their New Year celebrations about how many women were abused on the streets by "migrants" I find it totally unbelievable that these "migrants" are allowed to enter countries freely, whilst I, a european citizen have to buy visas etc, look at the kerfuffle I need to go through, even to get into Canada.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I believe both Cologne and Dusseldorf in Germany have the same problems, where the city centres are a no go zone for women at night
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Serves them right, what do they expect when they allow thousands of single men from coutries that have seriously repressed social and sexual norms when dealing with women and you let them loose in what to them must be wonderland. All those women to grope and make sexual advances too without any fear of being flogged as would be the case in their own country if they behaved in a similar way, they are like kids let loose in a sweet shop, we have sowed the wind and will reap the whirlwind. :st
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our gov't is still intent on bringing in 25,000 and another 25,000 have been privately sponsored however the 'plan' to bring in this many was so ill-thought out it can't be accomplished in the time frames that were touted (a FULL 25,000 by Christmas) so, at least, thankfully logistics have slowed down the influx which is making it somewhat easier to accommodate everybody.

I'm totally appalled that we moved our own military families out of their own homes to bring in refugees. That in my opinion almost verged on a humans rights issue.

We're now getting stories of people converting their basements into living quarters so they can take in the refugees. Basements here are typically HOLES in the ground with minimal insulation, small tiny windows if any. They're typically dark and dank and a home for mould. My point is we might house them but they were probably in more sanitary conditions in the refugee camps than here.