Silver Liniing?

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Silver Liniing?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think that the dearth of tourists at this time may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, in the long run.

It makes a clean slate for actually turning Luxor into a properly run tourist centre.

To try to improve facilities and attitudes of mind was impossible all the time it was easy to make a fast buck.

Unfortunately, an empty belly, or threat of death clarifies the mind wonderfully they say.

Lets hope communication and education improves and teamwork prevails.

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Silver Liniing?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good point MD.

Living on the west coast I've done a fair amount of travel to Hawaii. Short easy trips to sunshine and ample accommodation for tourists. Waikiki/Honolulu 20+ years ago were so fully of tourists you couldn't take 2 steps in a straight line to walk down the street. Vendors were everywhere - little booths here and there, people hawking cheap trinkets on carpets on the street, children running up and handing you something that an adult followed with up wanting money. Prostitution was everywhere, scams everywhere - it was pretty bad. Then 9/11 happened and Hawaii folded up over night. The streets emptied and the big hue and cry was how was everybody going to survive? The future for Hawaii and tourism looked pretty darn bleak.

Now some 20 years later the area has really cleaned up to a much more beautiful organized well functioning level. Not saying you can go down a side street and probably find a prostitute but it isn't blatantly out there in the street. There are no willy nilly vendors all over the place - just seems more organized and relaxed and am sure Luxor could get to that point too.

I think empty bellies sometimes turn on brain cells and really prove a motivation to get it together and improve conditions to attract the necessary tourist dollars so as to enable a decent living.