GIMP DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: GIMP DISCUSSIONS

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW!!! This opened for me!!! :) :) :)

I've been having just a devil of a time with E4U. Waited for well over 6 min trying to get Horus' butterfly photo to open so I could save it and no cigar at all.

Wanted to say I'm caught up to Exercise #1 (the butterfly) and I'm only stopping there as E4U will just NOT enlarge the picture. Course it only selectively enlarged all the other photos/pictures in the tutorial too sooooooo while I'm saying positively "I'm up to date" (and I really think I am) I'm going to have to wait until I can open all of the pictures H included to be sure however my screen does look like what he has.

It seems E4U works a bit better for me in MY mornings so will try and get the butterfly photo to open then.

Actually with the time difference it is now 'about 9:30pm MY time which makes it about 7:30AM Egypt time. Would the company Keefy contracts with to run E4U turn the service down during hours when most good little Egyptian people are sound asleep? (This has not been an issue for me before though AND all of my regular other program and websites are working here just fine)

Hopefully I'll be caught up within the next day or two which will also give me a chance to practice more. I kinda/sorta got the cloning but my picture, after being cloned, doesn't look that great...........the wires were LESS visible than my efforts to hide them ;) ;) :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That’s good LLL and I have passed your problem on to Keefy to have a look at, but it does seem like a slow server connection to me.

About the ‘cloning’ don’t expect it to look over brill at the moment, it is a skill that you acquire with more use, just so long as you grasped the basic idea and the tools to use then all you need is more practice and I will be giving you some more tools that do the same thing in later tutorials.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I just want to propose a big vote of thanks to Horus for all his work over the last week to get us going on some serious photo editing. I know those tutorials are not just a five minute job and take quite a while to prepare. Thanks Horus :br: :br: :br:

I have just printed Exercise No 1, not worked through it yet. Just a comment on printing...I copy and paste the whole post into 'Word'. This can run to 4 or 5 pages so I first highlight everything and change the font to Arial 10pt. I go to 'page set up' and set the borders to 1cm, I then format the pictures so that they allow 'wrap around' text. This reduced the last tutorial from 4 to 2 pages. Saves on paper and keeps your reference folder minimal.

The illustrations are only thumbnail as in the post; I find this is OK and the text is SO step by step that things end up as illustrated. If you want larger images you can 'stretch' each one to give a better view but don't stretch too much or it becomes pixelated and will run to more pages.

Just passing on what I am doing with my copies...
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes a big Thanks to Horus for all his time & effort preparing our tutorials :)

I do the same printing of all the tutorials/excercises in " Word " ..............I'll have to try your method Grandad on saving paper :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok I have done Excercise 1...Peacock. I was going to upload to show but, I cannot see where to save it as a jpeg.

When I looked in " My pictures " where I saved the original there was the 2nd one I worked on but it is showing in grey colour with the gimp logo, when I opened it it opened in the gimp program.

I knew I would get stuck somewhere!!.......Horus help ...how do I save the modified Peacock ??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

First off let me say thank you for your appreciation :) it is a lot of work to prepare them and sometimes I have more windows and programs open when I do them that I forget where I am :lol: But I don't mind doing them and I enjoy sharing my knowledge with anyone who is interested enough to learn, so knowing that you are enjoying it is reward enough. :up

In answer to KIYA'S problem, I have posted a short tutorial over on the other thread that deals with this aspect of saving your pictures.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks again :) just printing it off now, now lets see how I get on ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I had the same problem Kiya so thanks for prompting a timely solution from H (The Prof :lol: )
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I really am the " numpty " of the day :D ......I didn't notice the scroll bar to the right for getting the JPEG & to save...............it is easy when you know how :lol:

Here is my first attempt, I just did the butterfly & nothing else.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Similar to my effort Kiya. Amazing how much colour was hidden in that dark area. :-)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great result Kiya :up isn't it good when you see the difference it can make.

And yes Grandad it is amazing how much hidden information can be brought out, so hopefully now you have all seen what a useful bit of software this GIMP program is, it will encourage you to learn more. My advice to you all now is to find a few of those not so good pictures and experiment with just this tool, get used to selecting an area and pulling the 'Curves' line about and see the results you can achieve. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh goody good that'll be my first gold star ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Taaaaaaaaaaaa DAHHHHHHHHHH :!: :!: :!: :up :up :up

My effort:

I've been having some really serious S L O W times with E4U and it is making it hard for me to get in and post and then make another post. I'm kinda getting around this by X-ing out and re-opening E4U as it seems to move a bit better for the first one or two 'clicks' and then it just stops. I haven't been able to open Horus' picture examples but have been able to get the written explanation.

AND AND AND I too really appreciate all the hard work and efforts Horus has been putting into this. Fully recognize this isn't a two minute effort on his part. It is ally really truly appreciated Horus!

I'm going to get all of these instructions printed out too and put into a binder so that I can easily find and follow each set of instructions. I know down the line I'll end up using some more than others. Want to have them all handy though.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think we are all getting there LLL :) And it is SO easy to forget the keystrokes to open and close things so I need my print outs close at hand....

Grey day today so I shall seek out some poor pictures and see what I can do.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Everyone is doing really well and that is very encouraging, Grandad mentioned 'keystrokes' in passing, these can be very useful once you know them and are just a simple couple of key presses to achieve something or other, such as Ctrl +Z will take you back a step. I will see about posting a printable list of what they all are, but for now it is better if we all stick to just using the icons or the Main Menu drop downs for now as this will help you to understand what is happening much better than using shortcuts. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just been playing here at 'coffee time' :)

Found this very dark evening image on the Thames near Greenwich.

The camera image is actually reasonably good but i wanted to see what was in the shadows.

The result although quick and crude involved 5 selections and the use of the 'curve' tool. I am not claiming that the end result has any merit except to show once again how much is hidden in those dark shadows.

I have come across two problems and a question Horus that perhaps you can help with;
1) If you want to delete some marker points when using the 'selection' tool, I find that Ctrl-z does not work. On other programs the 'delete' key does the business but not in Gimp??
2) If I have an enlarged image I like to use the 'move' tool to drag the image around. It appears that this simply moves the image out of its frame in Gimp....any ideas??

Question: Is there a way to 'soften' selections so they blend better?? In my example I traced the skyline very quickly but might have expected it to appear better than it does.

Otherwise things are going quite well. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Jolly good LLL on your first attempt even with your slow problems with computer :)

Grandad what a difference in your pic, it is surprising what we can now see in the shadows :)

Your No 2 question was what I was meaning the other day , I think Horus might find a way to this somewhere down the line :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK folks a bit of a quick reply as I am up to my armpits with a mates computer trying to sort him out.
So first off nice attempt Grandad and yes there is a better way of doing your selection and I will cover this more tommorow, but for now you can try playing about with the 'Feather' option (put a tick in the small box in the lower part, just below the 4 square icons in the MODE options) the more 'Feather' you use the more blurred the edge will become.

As to moving your picture about, as I explained the other day, you can only make the central window larger by using the various zoom option to make it larger or smaller. The move tool them moves that layer only around the window area so it is possible to just have a corner of your picture visible. Imagine you are looking out of your window at home and it is 6 foot square, but someone has a picture close to it on the outside and it is say 20 feet square. In order to see it you could ask them to move it around so that any part is visible to you but not the whole thing. If you reduced the size of the picture to 6 foot square you could see it all at one time, so its purpose is to allow you to enlarge the picture and move the parts you want into a viewable position WITHIN the background square.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That gives a big improvement Horus.This was with the feather set at 20; it is much improved on my first effort. Still a bit of 'glow' there but I will be patient and wait till we get to that.

I dissed my computer this aft and gave it a good vacuuming inside. Was thinking of adding a second hard drive but as the present one is getting noisy perhaps it is time to think New PC. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have purchased an external hard drive with, I think, 1 TB of space. I keep all my photos on it.

Lately and I can't remember where I saw it - possibly just a passing advert - but apparently new computers are being built WITH external hard drives attached. Makes sense to me as I use my external hard drive to store (as a back up) all my photos. I acutally think I was advised to do that from this forum.

Good photos all.........