GIMP DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: GIMP DISCUSSIONS

Post by Horus »

I have had no problems Grandad, but the programme itself can be a bit flakey at times, nothing serious that would cause trouble just a bit memory hungry at times and a little slow in responding. This is not a problem with Gimp as such, it is more down to the programme being 'open source' which means that different programmers will add features to it and they are not so worried about things integrating with each other to the same degree as say Photoshop would be. Having said that there should be no reason for it to affect your PC in that way, after all millions of people use it. Did you say you had just had your PC refurbished? from my own experience a random shutting down is caused usually by one of two things, Firstly a virus, so that needs to be checked out by running 'Malawarebytes' or similar software to check it out and secondly if the main power unit in your PC is failing in some way or overheating, then that can cause a similar fault to occur.

Just so long as you feel competant to do so you could take off the outer cover on your PC, after ensuring it was unplugged from the mains and making sure that all the fans and vents into the power supply were all clean, I would also check all the other fans and vents including the one cooling the motherboard processor.

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Not sure if I have the same problem as such yours Grandad but lately my computer has frozen at times & I had to restart & a message has shown a few times showing " lacking in memory line 1 " whatever that means.

And a couple of times my Toolbox & Layers pallet disappeared & i had to reload them, after that a couple of times I thought they disappeared again but.............silly me they were behind the image I was working on.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You may both have a similar lack of sufficient memory problem, it can happen more often if you have the programme running a long time or open up other programmes at the same time. The dissapearing Toolbar is just you hiding it in some way Kiya, it is easily done. Programmes like these don't actually go wrong as such, but they can freeze if the memory and the processor is being overworked, sometimes it pays to save a project after working on it a while, shut the programme down and re-open it again.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus, I had the case off and soft brushed and vacuumed a few weeks ago when deciding whether to add an internal or external hard drive.
I added a second HD last week but I had the problem before that. It got to a point where it was shutting down 3 or 4 times a day. Since I uninstalled Gimp this morning I have not had a problem. I will reinstall tomorrow and see what happens.
I agree gimp is very memory hungry but I have had the problem even when gimp is not open.
I have done my regular maintenance today but I also did it on Monday???? This includes, registry clean, malwarebytes, empty temp file, and back up. I'll see what happens tomorrow.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mmm, cant see it being Gimp if it is doing it without the programme being open.
Something else that is worth a try, if you know where your Memory (RAM) is located on your motherboard, it may help to remove each one and then replace it again (in the same location) as sometimes they make a poor contact, but if you have not done it before then please be very careful as they can easily get damaged. I know this may sound silly, but I have had similar problems and all I have done is check the fans and filters, reseat the RAM modules and push and pull all the internal connections, it may just work for you.

If its safe for you to do so, try removing the case of your PC and have a good deskfan blowing continually across the insides and see if it still happens.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus I have reinstalled Gimp so I will see what happens. BTW I am quite happy and competent to delve inside the case. :lol: Have worked with electronics during my varied career.

Something I have done this morning is to order a 1gb RAM card from Crucial to take my computer up to its max of 2gb (I have been running on 1.5gb for a long time) but, if nothing else, it will give it more RAM to use, but that's it to its maximum. Next stop, new computer. :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Attempting to make a postcard selecting some photos/areas around my hometown & the lighthouse from a near by village.

As you can see I used the Quick Mask on the smaller photos but for the life of me I couldn't find the same border for the background I choose today that explains why its straight & boring.

I remembered about using the Open Layers then the using the Control to upload the smaller photos then played around with Scaling & Moving.

I had intentions of adding circular photo to place in the middle with " Peterhead " written on it but that is for another Tutorial me thinks ;) to add text.

I'm quite happy with my first attempt but I would like to know how to do the 3 or more coloured borders on the background photo.....................pleaseeeeee Horus when you have a minute :D

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No problems Grandad, I always add the caveat because others may be reading this post and acting on the advice I give, you would be surprised how many people will say something like "you never said not to hit it" and I have seen more snapped in half Ram chips especially in the days when you had to tilt them to remove them from the motherboard ;)

I would guess that with 1.5 gb of RAM that's a bit low for heavy graphic programmes such as Gimp, especially if you do not have a good graphics card with some onboard RAM to help it along.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That looks really good Kiya, :br: keeping it reasonably simple is the best way, all the coulours compliment each other as do the borders, very nice indeed.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: You would be surprised how many people will say something like "you never said not to hit it" and I have seen more snapped in half Ram chips especially in the days when you had to tilt them to remove them from the motherboard ;)
Or fail to align the offset cut out and just keep pushing, or fail to earth themselves etc etc..... :lol:

I know I am running just about at the limit Horus, can't remember how old my computer is but it has been so good and reliable. It only had 500mb of RAM when new and I put an extra gig in some time ago. 2gb is the limit that I can upgrade to but I may look at changing the graphics card. The HD was only 80gb but the external drive that I added last week has solved that problem. I also have a very good 250gb HD that I use as my backup.

Touching wood, so far today no probs with shut downs... :up

As a general digression, I was looking through some old pictures in my holidays album and came across this. It is obviously totally out of focus and by the angle I think it was probably an accidental shot because it was raining and I was trying to protect my camers from getting wet.

I was prompted to try to make something of it and with a Blur/Glass filter made this which in my personal opinion makes something a little more artistic than the out of focus original.

Just making the point that it is sometimes worth experimenting and investigating things like the Filters to see what you can do.....end of comment, back to some serious stuff with the tutorials. ;)

PS. I may have mentioned that I have a grand daughter who is doing an art subject at A level and wants a Nikon D5200 for Christmas.....these kids have expensive ideas. Speaking to her yesterday she told me she has PS CS6 on 30 trial and is loving it and will probably buy it, another £250 :o But she has an artistic talent and I am encouraging her to develop it......
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hope to see some of your grand daughter's talent sometime :) ...Wow! if she is getting CS6 for £250 she is lucky, any time I have looked its double that price :o

I agree we can do some whacky stuff with the filters :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice job with the filters Grandad :up
No doubt at that price your GD has looked at what's on offer from them for a student discount?

Kiya, take my word for it, a lot of this expensive software is no better than free open source stuff like Gimp. I often compare what I am doing for you guys with my full blown version of Photoshop and to date there is not much I can't replicate using Gimp.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, I have added another tutorial for making multi coloured borders ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you :) I have it printed now.

When you have the time we could have a tutorial for adding text.........please :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Forgot to add, yes your right as far as I go, using Gimp & Elements7 is enough for me :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, I am splitting up the TEXT tutorial into easy chunks, Part 1 has been posted, so you can familiarise yourself with the first part.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Okey Dokey ta muchy :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Part 2 of the Text Tutorial has been added.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you :) got that printed............should keep me busy for a while :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya go back to look at Part 2 again as I have added another short piece to it ;)