No Sound

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

No Sound

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Copied from my L4U post as I know we have some very computer techy savvy people here. :-)

Can anyone come up with some helpful solution ideas please...

I had a problem the other night with a Skype call - the caller could hear me but I couldn't hear them. I put it down to one of the regular Skype type problems.

Today, I have been trying to check out a couple of Youtube videos for someone and can't get any sound out of them. I double checked I'd not got them on 'mute' but still no sound. Checked I'd not got my own system set on 'mute' but no, it was at normal setting and even with volume up at max - no sound. Switched to TV mode and nearly got blasted to the other side of the room as I'd forgotten to turn the sound level down from my earlier experiments. When I play games on L4U I usually turn the sound off. I've just been to check them and when I put the sound on there is nothing.

Why is it, when it's all the same speaker equipment, that I can hear the TV but not anything from the computer? I've had a look at the cables and they all look to be in original position (Impossible for them to have been moved/removed physically, but I guess possible they could have become disconnected by accident/slight movement of the desk.)

I'm not sure what to do next and would appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: No Sound

Post by Horus »

Hepzi, are we talking Desktop or Laptop here? also can you elaborate on "Switching to TV mode"
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Hi Horus,
It's my main desk top PC. It's got a tower with all the 'bits' in and the Toshiba screen is for computer and TV. It has to be one or the other though, I can't use it as a combined split screen like the old Dell screen I had originally.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

First off it is likely that the TV receives its sound through another card inside your tower and is independant of the PC's own sound output if you get my drift. So if your sound is via speakers integral to the monitor I would first of all check to see that nothing has come loose or come out, all sound from the PC to other devices such as speakers, headphones etc is usually delivered via a single cable that is usually a GREEN coloured 3.5mm male jackplug inserted into a GREEN coloured female socket on the back of the PC. Sometimes this cable may be part of a twin setup incorporating an addditional colour coded BLACK cable with the same end fittings, but in BLACK and most often if a microphone is involved. You should check that these cables are properly conected at both ends, seperate (stand alone) speakers usually have a single cable (with twin wires) and a single GREEN jackplug end. Seperate speakers usually have their own power supply and will not work (emit sound) without being switched on, so you should check fuses and see if you have a power indicator lite lit up on them, they often have a push button that can easily be switched off by accident. Another option is if you have a set of headphones, they can be with a head mic or without, it won't matter and plug the GREEN lead into the GREEN socket on the back and see if you have any sound, alternatively if you have a single round 'Audio out' socket on the front of your PC (some have) you can also try that. Failing that have a look to see if there is anything on your systems tray (those little icons at the bottom right) that is your sound card settings, or go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and choose 'Sound and Audio Devices' If you look through that set of menus you can usually make Windows play audio sounds that may help you to track the fault. But first of all, carefully unplug and re-plug all the cables from the GREEN, BLACK & PINK (could be reddish) round sockets at the back of your PC and at the other end where they finish up, if you have separate speakers check the power supply and finally it may be that your sound is comming via a USB cable plugged into the back of your PC and into your monitor, if so then try plugging it into another USB socket anywhere on your PC to see if it works then. Unfortunately these problems are a bit hard to cure at long distance as it is usually the hardware playing up at some point and you need to twiddle with it.
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you so much Horus for trying to help me sort this problem out.

The speakers are integral to the screen. I don't have any seperate speakers or head phones.
Microphone is seperate add on (not integral to machine) and seems to be working fine i.e others can hear me.
Camera ditto.

I checked all cables/ plugs/sockets were secure. All were fine but I unplugged and replugged in to be certain.

When I went to the 'Sounds & Audio Devices' suggestion it occured to me I should try playing a CD and a DVD from tower. Both worked fine with good sound.

Just tested out the Skype Echo test thingy - no sound.
Also just tried the sound on an E4U game - no sound.

So whatever it is seems to be pointing an internet rather than machine issue - I think!
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:urm: No. My last sentance can't be right because I've got soun on the laptop and were on the same wifi network.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:) I think it's solved!

I've been back into the 'Sounds and Audio' bit and I played with sound/audio slider bars. I've never been in there before!

When I say I played, I mean I slid them up and back to the same place (ish). Not sure that I really did actually change anything but I seem to have sound again. Certainly the Skype Echo Sound test works - I can hear it ringing. I just need someone to call me know to be 100% sure.

So Horus, another big thank you to you. :bl: :hug: :tu:
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you are sorted, :up but I'm sure you got there on your own volition Hepzi, I just pointed you in the general direction.