Slumdog Millionaire

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

PRchick

Slumdog Millionaire

Post by PRchick »

Slumdog Millionaire was the big winner at the Academy Awards Sunday. Haven't seen it yet but want to. Has anyone seen it? What did you think? I know it caused a stir in India.

"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I've not managed to see it yet but one of my lady friends of more mature years was very impressed by it and highly recommended it. I hope I can see it sometime in the near future. [/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It has been constantly in the news for over a week and to be honest I am getting tired of hearing about it. I do think it has had a lot of hype, probably the Kate Winslet factor and a bit of ‘The Brits are coming’ attitude, all good for promoting the Oscars though. :lol: I have not seen it yet but no doubt I will at some time in the future, but to be honest it is not my type of film. I have read some of the reviews and they all give it a good write-up, although some commented that a scene in which a child forcibly has his eyes burned out to make him a better street beggar, is hardly family viewing or of the ‘feel good factor’ genre.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I watched it about 2 months ago :roll: The story how it is put together is brilliant, i had never heard of the movie before i had watched it... 5 Stars from me :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well if it comes that highly recommended, I will have to give it a look :)
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

I was one of the best movies I have seen in years.
The story line is very well written. The acting superb. The colours and sights breathtaking. Cinematography rocked :)

Make sure you don't leave as the credits roll !!!
Wait behind and watch the Bollywood ending ;)

I think a lot of people miss that part.

A real 'feel good' movie 8)
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

I finally saw it. I liked it for the message but the butality of it was just to much for me. My friend who was watching it with me had to leave.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain
Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

It reminded me in so many ways of Egypt.

The dirt, the imaginable smells, slums, sleaze, poverty, corruption, the police brutality, noise, tok toks and traffic, pandemonium and chaos.

Mumbai was just like Cairo in many ways.
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

A friend and I have been watching the TV series "#1 Ladies Detective Agency" on HBO. I think Hepzi saw it on the BBC a couple of years ago. It is set in Botswana but may as well be rural Egypt. I keep telling her how much it all looks like Egypt, even the way they talk. I was surprised to discovered the lead actress is an American Blues singer. It's a great show if you can catch somewhere.
Mark Twain
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

PRchick wrote:A friend and I have been watching the TV series "#1 Ladies Detective Agency" on HBO. I think Hepzi saw it on the BBC a couple of years ago. It is set in Botswana but may as well be rural Egypt. I keep telling her how much it all looks like Egypt, even the way they talk. I was surprised to discovered the lead actress is an American Blues singer. It's a great show if you can catch somewhere.
[face=Comic Sans MS]The TV series you are referring to has only just recently been shown here in the UK although there was a film made a couple of years ago that started it all and I guess was shown to test the popularity before moving on to a series. I've read most of the books and thoroughly enjoyed them, and whilst the TV characters are good they just do not measure up to the ones that Alexander McCall Smith and my mind portrayed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ladies/

If you ever get the chance to hear an interview with Alexander McCall Smith I'm sure you won't be disappointed. He's a facinating man with a great sense of humour and humility.

PR- I'm surprised you think the Botswana scenes look like Egypt or that the way they talk is the same. Personally, I can find no similarities or resemblance. [/face]
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley