A Phil Spectre tribute

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

A Phil Spectre tribute

Post by Horus »

On the music front, I was just thinking about how many great songs came out of the 60’s and Phil Spectre came to mind. He was the originator of the "Wall of Sound" technique that back then sounded amazing, it just drowned you with a massive backing track at a time when most records had either guitars or a small band doing the backing. Spector would take a full orchestra and give songs real backing power by often adding multiple instruments especially to girl groups and had over 25 ‘Top 40’ between 1960 &1965. Regrettably he was always a little strange and in 2003 he was convicted of murder and is now serving a 19 year prison sentence. I took the liberty of using some stereo mastered versions for a better sound quality, but they are all still the originals. He of course produced many, many more songs with lots of artists, but these are some of my favourites.

So as a tribute to his fantastic musical talent, turn your speakers up full bore and listen to some classics.

You’ve lost that loving feeling, The Righteous Brothers
[youtube][/youtube]

River Deep, Ike & Tina Turner,
Go! Tina go! they don't do backing singers like these three girls anymore, full of enthusiasm, its called the 'Hand Jive' ;) and a rare view of Ike Turner.
[youtube][/youtube]

Be my baby, The Ronettes
[youtube][/youtube]

Baby I love you, The Ronettes
[youtube][/youtube]

Da do ron ron, The Crystals
[youtube][/youtube]

Then he kissed me, The Crystals
[youtube][/youtube]

Enjoy a trip down memory lane, thanks for the music Mr Spectre and listening to all those other girl groups that were not from the Spectre stable, but had some great songs, makes me think of doing another list just to include some of them. ;)

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: A Phil Spectre tribute

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Oh I can't bear it, Horus! :( Stop!!! You're making me feel sooooo old! :cry:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes, but Ruby Slippers they are all so brill :up and you can't be old just as long as you still enjoy the music ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh I enjoyed that music Horus :) they don't make them now how they used to.
I remember all the songs but not so much the groups themselves, my memory of these must be from my 2 eldest brothers....no 2 brother was a massive fan of Tina turner :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your brothers had taste then Kiya, ;) Tina could knock em dead in the early days :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

When a young teenager I loved The Beach Boys, if I'm right in remembering Cotton Fields was No 1 in the charts for many many weeks.......I loved this song :)

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great choices Kiya, :up amazing how many great versions of that song there are. Dusty of 'The Springfields' fame did an earlier version as did Charlie Pride, The Highwaymen, Engelbert Humperdinck and Creedence Clearwater Revival also did the song credit.

Talking of Creedence Clearwater Revival, how about “Bad Moon Rising” which by the way featured in the film ‘A Werewolf in London’ great film. ;)

Bad Moon Rising
[youtube][/youtube]

Great how this topic keeps going in all directions, keep em coming folks. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh I had to check YouTube, with Engelbert it doesn't sound the same, on saying that Engelbert has been 1 of my all time favourites, my children now can still remember me singing along with Engelbert :D

[youtube][/youtube]
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can see you dancing around the house singing that one Kiya. ;)

I bet you didn’t know that before he adopted that daft name he used to be called Gerry Dorsey? :-)
He was actually born Arnold George Dorsey and he is Anglo Indian, the name Engelbert Humperdinck was the name of a 19th century German composer who wrote the opera Hansel & Gretel. :)

I managed to find an example of him singing as Gerry Dorsey, truly awful :stp
[youtube][/youtube]

Another favourite of mine is Spanish Eyes, the song has been recorded by literally dozens of artists from Elvis to Julio Iglesias & Willy Nelson

Spanish Eyes
[youtube][/youtube]

Which brings us nicely to this duet by Julio & Willy, another great song, just listen to how well two distinctly difference voices can harmonise, brilliant.

[youtube][/youtube]
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:
I bet you didn’t know that before he adopted that daft name he used to be called Gerry Dorsey? :-)
He was actually born Arnold George Dorsey and he is Anglo Indian, the name Engelbert Humperdinck was the name of a 19th century German composer who wrote the opera Hansel & Gretel. :)
I knew that! :roll:

As a girl I got a bit confused at first because I was familiar with the opera Hansel & Gretel as I was introduced to it very young and indeed my friend and I used to sing the lullaby duet at church and community concerts - it's still one of our 'party pieces'. So when this 'pop star' called Engelbert Humperdinck came into my world I couldn't understand how someone could have written Hansel & Gretel and sing the kind of songs he did! It just didn't make sense to me at all. (Yes - I was slow even than!) :oops:
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh Horus "dancing around the floor " ha ha I used stand up on my coffee table & sing along with Engelbert, my children often remind me of my party piece :D
And I did know his real name but I suppose he had to have an out of this world name to be noticed.......& I did :D .......Oh "Spanish Eyes " love it! love it! love it!

Julio & Willie other favourites of mine also Johnny cash :D

Your right! that 1 with him as Jerry Dorsey is awful just not his style at all.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

[youtube][/youtube]

Who could ever forget this one? My absolute heart-throb of all time - and still is! :up Scott Walker!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great choice of music Ruby Slippers and it gels very well with the title theme because the Walker Brothers used the same technique as Spectres “Wall of Sound” and he (Walker) often claims it as his original idea. Here is another one of theirs that shows the same powerful musical backing as Spectres.

[youtube][/youtube]

This was also recorded by Frankie Valli although not so good a version in my opinion, which leads us nicely on to The Four Seasons, a great group that Frankie Valli was part of, sometimes billed as Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. One of their earliest memorable records was “Sherry” with the unique high pitched voice of Frankie Valli making it a bit unusual at the time, but another great song. Sorry this is not a good version, but some miserable git has blocked most of his videos from being shown other than on YouTube

[youtube][/youtube]
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Wouldn't you think that whoever posted them on Youtube would be thinking 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' Horus? :) Plus all the air-play, of course! Nice choice BTW! :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great choices again :)
This one was also recorded by The Beach Boys but never released

Edited by Horus:
Kiya, if you copy a YouTube link and it has a bit near the end that starts with '&' such as this one which has &feature=related at the end, you must always delete that part. So it would now read instead of [color=#0040FF]&feature=related[/color]

I just paste the link in btween the brackets as usual, then just use the delete key to take out the bit that's not needed.
Any code you copy that doen't have the & ???????? bit on the end will not need changing, just paste it in as usual.

I left this post in so you can see how it is done, but I have changed the link in your other post underneath this one so it will play.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Trying again :?

[youtube][/youtube]
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok Horus thanks :) I shall try & remember ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Good on yer, Kiya! You've got it! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great choice Kiya, that song by Terry Jacks took me back in time to when someone very close was killed in an accident and that particular song was being played all the time, so it always reminds me of them.

Jacks never really had anymore decent hits but the song was recorded by several others, but non were as good as his version. A singer called Bobby Vinton also recorded this, but he was best remembered for some of his other songs, this one in particularly, so it gives us a good link to it.

[youtube][/youtube]
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Nice 1 Horus :)

Hows about this 1

[YouTube]
[/YouTube]