Appropriate Children's Movie

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Appropriate Children's Movie

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is kinda directed @ Grandad as his Grandson about a year ahead of mine but would be thrilled with suggestions from anybody..

As the Grandsons are approaching 2 their parents are getting more comfortable with letting they see TV. My daughter and her husband actually do not have cable and basically only watch movies and had a really strong thought that they were not going to let the twins see or watch TV (believing that seeing all the moving images etc isn't good for brain development etc.) Sooooooo they're now at a time when they want to start introducing children's TV/movies to the boys.

Any suggestions for entertaining child movies? I do have them a couple of Sesame street type DVDs but am thinking more the family time little kids show. Ideas?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is never to soon IMO to start kids getting interested in nature :) most kids love to see small animals and creepy crawly insects. It is also a good time for parents to avoid passing on their own phobias by not making comments that stick in their minds such as "Aw yuk! I hate spiders"
Showing them a respect and appreciation for other creatures without being over sentimental about it can help form a well balanced person in later life, well thats my theory anyway. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good thought H. My daughter and son-in-law have some very definite ideas about raising their kids and I can't say I disagree with any of them. So far the twins have hardly ever 'seen' TV and were never parked in front of the screen with sound blaring and lights flashing. They're now feeling ok about allowing the boys a few minutes of TV daily but want it to be 'quality' programming or a movie - educational etc.

I was looking online and while it is a movie I was actually thinking the movie "Happy Feet" (about the penguins) might be an ok one to get. Will have to check with ma and pa first though.

I know in my own line of work often I find parents parking children for extended hours in front of a TV. Personally I think this attributes to autism but, please, that IS just a personal bias and I know there is lots more to the Autism Spectrum Disorder than watching TV but it still must in ways shape the mind into always seeing something fast flashing in front of your eyes.

Will pass the Nature suggestion on. That is actually a really good idea on all fronts..........
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Get them 'Happy Feet' it is great, :) the kids wil love it and it contains the usual lessons that kids will understand.