The AP (Amateur Photographer)

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The AP (Amateur Photographer)

Post by Grandad »

JUST FOR INTEREST

Probably the oldest Photo Mag on the book stalls and the cheapest at £2.60 per week.

I occasionally pick it up and did so this morning, drawn by the front heading about 'Depth of Field in Portraits'. I have only glossed through it but here are a few items that amused or intrigued me.....

Among the Tit Bits is a piece about a British news photographer of 20 years standing. He always uses Nikons and as a sign of his devotion he has the details of a favourite Nikkor 300mm F2.8 lens tattooed on his left upper arm....and he claims not to like tattoos....weird I thought :roll:

In the readers questions, someone had asked what other lenses apart from the 45mm f2.8, were available in the Nikkor P range of manual focus lenses?

Editors response was that there is a 1200 -1700mm f5.6-f8. It is 237mm in diameter x 880mm long and weighs in at 16Kg. Oh, and if you are interested it costs £53,000 :lol: It was designed specifically to cover a US Baseball diamond for sports photographers..

In the mag this week is a lens test card. This is an A3 sheet printed with a variety of colours and scales to check the quality of your lenses across their field at different f settings. I tried it with the 35mm from f1.8 to f22. Here are the images at largest (first) and smallest (second) setting.

As usual jpegs don't travel too well but on my large screen the difference is almost indiscernible so I am happy with the new purchase. :)

Something that I DID find very useful was being able to compare the original colours with my screen colours. Calibrating a screen is a difficult task unless you have an expensive calibrator.

I found that my screen images were lighter than the original which would explain why on the rare occasion that I buy commercial prints they tend to be too dark and I have learned to lighten before sending for print.

I have adjusted my screen to the original sheet colours so my £2.60 was probably well spent..........

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very useful freebie Grandad :) something that you can keep for future reference ;)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Free focusing chart in this weeks
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Cheers BK, will look out for that tomorrow :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

What date is yours BK. They have June 11 issue in my newagents but nothing about focus charts. :?:
bigken

Post by bigken »

Sat 4th June