New Year, New Genealogy search

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

New Year, New Genealogy search

Post by Grandad »

We last went to Egypt in 2013, we won't be going ever again and, mostly due to the pandemic, nobody else is going......apart from Russians flying into Hurgharda, but that's not REAL EGYPT; is it???
Contributing here is something I miss; the lighthearted chat about what has been keeping us occupied and reports back about any holiday trips etc...
A few days ago I got an email from Ancestry.com inviting me to take a years membership at half normal price. I only dabble in family history stuff but it is something to fill some dark winter hours, so I renewed my membership. I was hoping that the 1921 census that was released on 'Findmypast.co.uk' on 6 Jan would be available but this will probably not be the case for about 3 years. Meanwhile you have to pay for each record viewed on 'Findmypast'.
I am not too concerned about that because 1921 is relatively recent and I am well informed about relatives at that time.
However, while searching around I came across this interesting fact:

"The 10th US president John Tyler was born in 1790. At the age of 63 he fathered a son, Lyon Tyler in 1853.
Lyon married a much younger wife and had children into his 70's.
His son Harrison, President Tylers grandson, was born in 1928 and is still alive, aged 93"

I had a grandfather who was born in 1779, the nearest I have to John Tyler, but mine was a 4th great grandfather which puts John Tylers living grandson into perspective.

Another snippet in my own tree is of my 2nd great grandfather who, in 1850, was caught with a pal stealing hens eggs. He was taken to court for stealing 5 eggs and was given a sentence of 4 days in Jail and 12 lashes with a birch.
Victorian times must have been hard....
Anyone else got any family history tales to tell???

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: New Year, New Genealogy search

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Studying past ancestors can be interesting and an interesting hobby. I find I don't seem to have the consistent time to sit down and do it. I have through FB found a few relatives I never knew existed though.

Best of luck with your search - hope you can find some ancestors who were explorers or persons in high places doing really interesting things.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: New Year, New Genealogy search

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:31 am Best of luck with your search - hope you can find some ancestors who were explorers or persons in high places doing really interesting things.

Nothing exciting like that LLL. Mostly farm labourers, seafarers, servants or living in workhouses. I'm from very humble beginnings. ;)
:gg: