Today's luxury is tomrrow's necessity.

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Today's luxury is tomrrow's necessity.

Post by Mad Dilys »

I wonder what tomorrow's necessities will be?

In the 1950s I first heard the phrase "Today's luxury is tomorrow's necessity" - Ludwig von Mises. I was about 12 years old or so and we had recently moved into a new house where we had not one, but two carpets! The floors underneath were shiny composition not clay tiles.

There were no latches on the doors, but handles. We had a bathroom upstairs, not in a lean-to outside on the back porch. The house was insulated, warm and welcoming with big windows and high ceilings.

Electric fires set in the walls in every room even the bedrooms meant no more frosted windows on winter mornings. Except my bedroom which was basically a box room - I had a free standing electric fire which I piled some magazines on, forgot and switched it on before my bath - yup they caught fire, but no lasting damage except to prove to everyone that "my head was in the clouds"

We had a 14inch TV and our radio didn't have big valves and batteries. A bus stop was right outside the house so no more long walks into the village to even buy a loaf of bread.

I wondered how all of the above could become necessary?

We lived in a tied house as Dad was a Policeman but most people rented. It wasn't necessary to buy your own house. My father cultivated the garden, we ate well of our own produce and bottled the surplus.

We had even started to buy clothes in shops rather than making them. Shoes were mended with new stick on soles rather than going to the Snobs or Cobblers.

We really were very well off and knew it.

All of this was the height of luxury to me. We had no fridge, washing machine, phone, car or holidays these were luxuries how could they become necessary?

What will be tomorrow's necessities? :tk

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Today's luxury is tomrrow's necessity.

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmmm - so I replied and now that I'm looking back in a few hours later I see my post is gone..........

Basically I said that way back when needs were met and there was no surplus. I'm not too sure now how people would fare if suddenly they had no more smart phones or electronics. We had 1 big wooden box phone nailed to the wall and a special 'ring' when it was for us. Water came from an outside well, I owned 1 pair of good shoes and 1 pair of work boots for the barn. At different times my shoes were either too big or too small and 99% were hand me downs from another relative. Same with clothing - I had 1 good pair of work slacks, 1 shirt, 1 sweater and 1 dress. What more could I have ever thought I needed?

We got our milk from me handmilking our goats, food from the garden and meat from fishing or raising small farm animals. Freezer was almost always full so we really never much needed food.

It is an interesting thing to think who NEEDS what these days.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD, what you say rings bells for me but your experiences were a bit ahead of mine. For instance, around 1947 we moved from the house we had lived in through the war years; which had an outside toilet, no bathroom, no heating or hot water; to a new semi-detached council house built on the site of bombed houses BUT, this still had an outside toilet plus the luxury of an inside bathroom with bath and hand basin but no WC.
At some time sround 1950 we had a telephone but this was a shared party line so, as LLL has suggested, you may pick up and the other user is on the line. :lol: We bought our first TV in May 1953 when I was 18 specifically to watch the coronation in June. We had neighbours round because we were the first in the street to have a TV. It was about a 14" Echo, black and white of course. Colour TV was not even talked about because the concept was not generally known.
The only fire was in the lounge and this had a 'Back boiler' that produced hot water for the kitchen and bathroom. No fridge or freezer, or washing machine of course. Just a clothes boiler.
SO, to get to the point of what will be essential in the future. I think electric vehicles will definitely be the desired mode of transport when they can solve the problem of battery life......and huge steps are being made on that front. I think there will be a lot of automation in the home and, where Alexa and other similar devises are something of a novelty at present, I have no doubt that similar devices will figure in everyday life. If we don't do something about the environment very soon I can see a future where life on earth changes dramatically. Not in our lifetimes but not too distant future.
Medical science helps us to live longer so we will reach a point where the increasing world population cannot be fed and there will be constraints on family size much as China introduced.
Rises in sea levels will reduce the land area which in turn will reduce the food producing land putting more pressure on our ability to feed the world.
I really think there is a dark future ahead unless we do something about it NOW :xx
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Motion sensor solar lights are quite expensive here so I'd put them as pushing the luxury category however I can see anything solar being the necessity of tomorrow.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have been thinking about this quite a bit as it keeps floating through my brain but one of the things I valued most was having the ability to flush and have a reliable water source having lived on a well.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Absolutely agree. :up
Smile! It confuses people