What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I thought you were talking about the POT they were planted in! Ahhh got it now ;) :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

In an effort to find something to post: On my short trip to the Sainsburys Local I pass one of the two railway stations in Canterbury, Canterbury West Station. This is a mainline station for HS1 trains to London St Pancras in 56 minutes.
This station opened in February 1846 just 16 years after the worlds first scheduled service that operated from a station just a few hundred yards away. I always thought the front of the building, which is grade II listed, looks more Deco than early Victorian. It is rare for the front to be free of taxis so I took this snap to let you see this survivor from the Victorian era.
IMG_20190915_103704.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Definately more Art Deco than Victorian Grandad.
I have just returned from a longish walk with my some and his two dogs, as usual Annie went paddling. Quite a dull overcast day, but nice for walking and you can now see the start of Autumn in the trees, so it won't be long now.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I checked the history of the station H and it is recorded as opening in February 1846. We are familiar with the large gothic style Victorian railway stations but perhaps as this is just on a line and not 'end of line' it did not warrant a larger building.
It is quite a busy little station with the fast service for commuters to London and it is only about 15 minutes from each Uni in the city so is popular with students.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nice photo Grandad! Definitely has the Art Deco look to me.

Today is overcast and raining off 'n on. I slept well last night but didn't wake up until 9:30am!! Extremely unusual for me to sleep that late but for whatever I was out like a light 'til then. Decided to take me to the Pub for breakfast. Hardly anybody was there so I basically ate and came back home. Nothing much on the agenda at all for today.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not sure what I am doing today, I still have the flower bed part of the front garden to finish off, but it looks like I need to pick up some more compost to fill it out ready for planting. I usually take Annie for a walk around a local lake on a Monday and then stop off for a coffee after so I may still do that as there is a garden centre near by. I also wanted to visit another garden centre which is located quite a few miles away to see if I can get any more Lavender plants there as it is a massive outlet, oh decisions decisions.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Nice looking building Grandad compared to some around the country dull & dreary :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was out early today as Thunderstorms are predicated and cause I got a man coming to shampoo & clean the living room rug so quite natural it'll be just pouring down once the carpets get wet in here........

Was going to try and get out to pick some more tomatoes & carrots but they'll all be super wet now so that'll have to happen tomorrow.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not a bad day here, dull but reasonably warm. I decided against taking Annie around our usual lakeside walk and to forego my coffee at the little café. Instead I went to the more distant garden centre to see if they had any cheap Lavender plants to go with the other 18 small ones I already had. The upshot is I came away with 10 nice specimen plants in pots at £4 each so that set me back another £40, the plan now is to pitch those at about 1.25 metres apart around the perimeter wall and to intersperse two more smaller ones in-between them at about 400mm apart as that should give the required spacing for them to grow as small bushes. The trade off is I should get (with any luck) 10 large bushes during the next season and the other 18 will hopefully catch up size wise within another 2 years, the Bees and Butterfy’s should love it. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

This mornings short trip was to the post office to post my camera to the buyer. This takes me in the opposite direction to my regular run to Sainsburys and takes me across what was Beverly Farm way back when the railway was built in 1830.
In the past I have posted a picture of a short tunnel through the railway embankment to give the farmer access to the rest of his farm which was divided when the railway embankment was built. I think that I included a picture of what I believed to be the old farmhouse but realised this morning that I was wrong. So I went down a short private lane to get this picture of what I am sure is the Old Beverly Farmhouse. I can't find any history about it but I assume it is probably sixteenth or seventeenth century.
20190917 Old Beverly Farmhouse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It looks very nice and a lovely sharp photo Grandad
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm It looks very nice and a lovely sharp photo Grandad
Cheers H :up Yes I am now resigned to not having the versatility of a larger camera and just stick to 'snapping' with the mobile which produces acceptable results :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good photo and if taken by your phone it IS amazing how good photos on phones are. Interesting too if the farm is that old.

We never did get the thunderstorm yesterday but it sure is pouring down rain. I have to go to the Dentist to his surgical office today to get the tooth implanted. Not too sure what all that will involve but hopefully not much more than a numbing similar to having a crown inserted.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That is a stunning photo, so crisp Grandad :a4:

I love lavender and luckily we have several large ones in front of the building which the commune maintain, they are lovely and attract so many butterflies and hummingbird hawk moths.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great photo and lovely farmhouse too :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Capture last night on TV. What is all that about? Feasible or not it is all intriguing and compelling viewing. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - was the name of the show "Capture"? Was it on Netflix?

Granted I was nodding off on the painkillers the Dentist gave me but I did stay awake to watch (kinda between snoozing away) the first 2 episodes of "I Land" and highly doubt I'll watch the rest. It was rather nonsense with not too good acting IMO.

Night before I finished watching "The Bletchley Circle San Francisco" which I find enjoyable simple watching.

Today I'm out and off to a shift of Community Policing this afternoon. It absolutely poured rain yesterday and the drizzle is on today but soon as I get a chance I've got to get outside and get the summer garden ornaments inside. Usually I don't even have to think about this until mid-October but the way the weather is going this year I wouldn't be surprised to see snow any time soon.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, Capture is a 6 part serial drama on BBC1, Tuesdays at 9pm for 1 hour. I won't say anything about the story except that there is a lot of techie stuff that I know you would follow and enjoy. It may get to Netflix someday and if so, look out for it. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The Beeb are very good at this type of drama.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As my life is fairly uneventful these days with little to contribute here, I thought perhaps I should just Blog on anything that comes to mind or happens.
My wife needs to use a magnifier quite a lot and to give her a hands free option I ordered a rather nice magnifier from Amazon. This was delivered yesterday afternoon and as it was not suitable I returned it by 10 am this morning.
The point I am coming to is that on my short journey to the post office I pass an old style GPO phone kiosk. Here it is.
IMG_20190919_093634_BURST001_COVER.jpg
This apparently is a Type K6 Phone Kiosk designed by Sir Giles Gilbert in 1935. Along with red London buses, phone kiosks of this type have become a symbol of England with many miniatures being bought by visitors as souvenirs.
What I was not aware of is that these phone kiosks are Grade II listed meaning that they are buildings "of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them" They sometimes come up for sale and fetch at least £2,000.
Just a bit of trivia while my wife is shopping with my sister ;) :lol: