What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Grandad »

Quite clever to introduce possible failures of technology (I'll say no more to avoid a spoiler) but I can foresee that theme recurring as the story develops. It is gripping so far

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Friday sees the end of the re-runs of Downton Abbey, just in time for the release of the film. For me, it's been a good way of watching it because it was on consecutively for 5 nights a week, which meant I didn't have to wait long for the next installment! I've enjoyed watching it but I will be glad to return to life before Downton! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I much prefer to 'binge' watch a series as I hate to wait another week and often forget the plot :lol: thank goodness for i-player.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I had intended to do a trial run with the scooter using the public transport buses BUT; I got an email from Ancestry advising that my analysis was now complete and available to view. A quick look and something like 500 matches out to 4th cousins have been found so the trip will have to wait until another day.
My thoughts this morning are with grandson Louis who is sitting the Kent Test for selection to grammar school next year. There are limited places available and the pass rate is set so that around the top 25% pass. In total it takes 31/2 hours including preparation time for the three papers so quite stressful for 10 year old.
Normally shopping today but #1 grand daughter has a day off and has volunteered to do the taxi job, so I don't need to go.
:up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good luck to him on the exams
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good luck to the Grandson on his Exams. I remember something similar but I think here these type exams now no longer happen. As for Ancestry when you get the results they can initially be quite daunting as it seems I was related to half the world but what I found most interesting was all the countries I linked to which was really narrowed to Scotland and a touch to Ireland. I figure we just grew out of the ground like a mushroom.

Pouring rain today but I'm off to the Pottery studio so weather isn't going to bother me too much. Just need to get a few creative ideas started ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, my DNA suggests that I am 74% from this local area with other elements from the rest of the UK. Doesn't look as if my ancestors were adventurers or explorers :(
I am pleased to say that some that I hoped would be there, are there, but of course this only works for people who have also had their DNA taken.
Sadly I can't find the lady who believes my maternal grandfather is also her grandfather by an illegitimate liaison around 1906. I have emailed the lady to check if she used a different name on Ancestry but it is not looking hopeful, sadly. :(
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Horus wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am I much prefer to 'binge' watch a series as I hate to wait another week and often forget the plot :lol: thank goodness for i-player.
I agree we tend to binge watch. Watched another episode of Capture & The Spy this evening. Out tomorrow evening so may have to have a gap. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Better day today with lots of sunshine and blue skies with a prospect of good weather for the weekend.
Now that I have my DNA and a new years membership to Ancestry, I can see myself spending many winter hours digging deeper into the family history.
Ancestry have a new tool (at least to me) called ThruLines. I can only assume that it looks for links between family trees that seem otherwise unrelated, and creates wider links to the likes of third and forth cousins once or twice removed.
Who cares you might ask but it goes to illustrate that if you go back far enough, we are all related albeit remotely.
It may well help me to fill some gaps but; top of my DNA relations list is a first half cousin who I have never met. HE HAS 3583 PEOPLE IN HIS FAMILY TREE :?: so I guess he has been using ThruLines to its limit. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't heard of ThruLines but then I've not taken a yearly membership (yet) but when I opened my Ancestry just now I do see it as a tool. Never know maybe this winter.

I'm 65% Scotland/Ireland and 31% England/Wales - Seems we never went anywhere. I do have 2% France and 2% German too but I figure that relative or relatives must just gone on a weekend holiday to have added that to the gene pool! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Fablux, have you ever watched the series Peaky Blinders? also good for binge watching. Series 5 is now on the BBC and on i-player, but series 1-4 is showing on Netflix although you may struggle with the Brummy accent. :lol:

The Capture is getting more exciting. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Is that it??? Last episode of Downton and it ran for two hours. It's grandaughter's 11th birthday today too, so we made a mad dash out after school to deliver presents, but I was determined that 5pm would find me firmly established in front of the TV until 7pm. Dinner - which came afterwards - turned out to be cold cooked chicken and a large portion of chips from the shop around the corner! Next week I revert back to being the head cook and bottle washer. There will be life after Downton Abbey! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm bored. I managed to pull out the bush and get it transplanted into a larger pot but so far that is all that I've accomplished today. Watched 1 episode on TV of a "Do It Yourself" show on home renovations (love those shows) and now I think I'm going to take me out to see what I can get up to. Heading to the Bakery and if nothing else will see what Goodies I'll eat so that I can then feel guilty about eating them for the rest of the day.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have been giving the front garden a quick make over, removed four dying conifers and put in two new evergreens, a Flame of the Forest and a Choisya to fill in the gaps, but not so tightly packed as it was previously so I can get around it better. I then denuded the ground of perennial weeds, laid down weed suppressing material and then laid a 2" to 3" layer of chipped forest bark to top it off. Hopefully tomorrow I will finish it off by creating three rocky areas that I will fill with Spring flowering bulbs and Winter Pansies to give some immediate colour. I may also add a few shallow pots with Spring bulbs and flowers to break up the larger bark covered areas. Maybe later this month or it may be early next Spring if I can’t get the plants I want to put in a small boundary hedge of Lavender shrubs to help the Butterfly’s and the Bees who are having a hard time of things lately. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Getting there slowly as I have more or less decided on the shape of the rockery just got to fill it up with compost. I took a break early afternoon intending to drop in on my daughter and my SIL who were supposed to be going fishing, SIL was there but daughter had left to go up town shopping. :roll: So on my way back I called into a small garden centre and to my surprise I found 3 trays of six plants in each of the small Lavender plants I was after and best of all they were good plants and really cheap. The down side is they only had the three trays left, but at least it is a start. While I was looking around I also saw some small Hebe plants in pots and they were covered in Small Tortoiseshell buttefly's, so I could not resist buying one of those as well. :oops:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus That should be a lovely display of lavender. I have about 6 growing out front (need to go out and chop them right down) and they do really well in attracting bees.

When you say Hebe is in a decorative pot of butterflies is that for outside growing? I have a few Hebe here and they're really lovely plants and do well but I've only ever seen them in the perennial outdoor plant section. Only curious as you've said the pots were decorated which means they're for indoor growing to me.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I'm invited this afternoon to a GF's outdoor Block Watch party at 3pm however weather-wise I dunno if it'll be going ahead or not cause it sure isn't "Indian Summer" happening here. Rain rain rain rain rain with brief breaks of no rain but the sun has gone.

Not sure what all I'll do 'til then to amuse me. Don't even have a really interesting book on the go right now (and sometimes I have several) Hmmmm............????
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am so annoyed with myself for not checking if anything is on in the city. I missed what would have been a good photo opportunity in the city, 'Hop Hoodening'.
This is a custom to celebrate the harvesting of the hops (this area is big on hop growing). It includes the crowning of the Hop Queen and she and her Hop Princesses parade through the city and attend a service in the Cathedral. The whole ceremony is associated with Morris Dancing and 11 Morris Sides (that is what a Morris group is called.....apparently) met to dance in a square within the city.
Drat and Double Drat....I missed it all :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Too busy selling your camera that's your problem. :lol: :lol:
When you say Hebe is in a decorative pot of butterflies is that for outside growing?
LLL, we are talking at cross purposes, our plants are usually sold in plastic containers or 'pots' as we would say. They were outside and the display of about twenty of these Hebe's in 'pots' had attracted lots of Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly's which were feeding on the nectar. :D
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Horus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 pm Fablux, have you ever watched the series Peaky Blinders? also good for binge watching. Series 5 is now on the BBC and on i-player, but series 1-4 is showing on Netflix although you may struggle with the Brummy accent. :lol:

The Capture is getting more exciting. :up
Horus we did try Peaky Blinders a couple of times, after having it recommended but couldn't get on with it (not just the accents :lol: ) but the era & characters didn't appeal.

This evening we watched Life in the air, totally different genre being a documentary but it was fascinating, especially the last section where they went behind the scenes & showed how they filmed the flying snakes. It was part 1 of 3 but we have to wait a week for the next one :(