What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Grandad »

I can never understand WHY a SPORT can include so many 'punch ups' during the game. Can you enlightem me LLL? It is fast moving and I am sure exciting but having a go at an opponent with your hockey stick doesn't seem like sport to me? Or is that all part of the game?
We do have the occasional punch up in football games but that is NOT in the rules. Rugby can be a bit rough but that is a MANS GAME so that is acceptable ;) :lol:

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In Hockey world I'm not expert. I've never been to a hockey game by any National team but when you live in a land of ice you gotta do something with it ;) and hockey for many here is a total obsession. The twins are loving hockey to taking them to Junior Hockey (the players come from all over the United States & Canada and it is their aspiration to get to the big leagues) cause the arena is only 5 minutes away from my house is fun.

The players actually never (or very rarely) hit each other with their sticks. They throw punches. First the round house swing with the big padded gloves on and then the gloves fly off and fists fly with everybody on the team piling on and into the fray.

Last year we saw one or two angry outbursts that the referees quickly separated but this game had probably a dozen. Was getting real ridiculous and when one of the players got a 10 minutes plus 2 minute (12 total minute) Penalty Box I have no idea WHY the Coach wasn't out there telling them to "KNOCK IT OFF"! There are 3 innings and each is 20 minutes so when you have 1 player being benched for over half of one inning you'd think the Coach would be on the rest of the team asap vs having TWO players sitting in the penalty box for almost every inning. Wasn't happy with what I saw as it wasn't the game.

In terms of the game it is fast (which I like) and is basically a series of very fast passes of the puck back and forth as they set up strategies for getting down the ice and scoring.

If the twins didn't like hockey I'd probably never go to a game but since they like it I don't mind going occasionally during the season to Home games. I love the Music they play during the games - very uplifting and positive to keep the crowds cheering and energized. Other than I would like walking home at night now given our high crime level I could walk to the Arena in probably 10 - 12 minutes so very easy to get to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So far this morning I'm drinking my coffee and plotting WHO I'll flog my tomatoes off on today ...... I've reached the time when they're all ripening fast.

Been having a hard time finding anything decent to watch on Netflix lately too. Am hoping they'll put their fall roster of shows on soon (if they do that).

Weather here has been threatening rain so I haven't watered but now I'm hovering at really almost bone dry. Guess I'll have to get the hose going tomorrow morning (I get to water on odd days) if it doesn't today.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, I have just watched a mini series (total 6 episodes) of a dramatised true story called 'Spy' it is about an Israeli Arab who goes undercover in Syria to gather inteligence pre the Arab Isreali wars of the 1960's. It stars the comedian Sasha Baron Cohen famous for his 'Borat' character, but he is a very good serious actor, I enjoyed it as a binge watch last night.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus I see that one on the Netflix tabs of whats playing. Might just be on the agenda for this evening.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus I did watch "A Spy" yesterday afternoon and evening. Was very interesting. Enjoyed it.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Never heard of it before but looks good so will give it a go, thank you.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@FABlux - Based on a true story too. Was well acted and played so pretty interesting.

Today was kinda a sit around day as the Wireless/TV set up people were here hooking up a new line from the road where they've got fibre optic cable to the house (I thought they'd already done this but ???) Took the guy hours AND if he hadn't come in the Company truck I'd of been quite suspicious when he started to pull out all the copper wire that the old lines that came to the house were encased in. Was without internet for about 3 hours so occupied me by sorting out the sewing room and organizing my fabric. Got a huge whack that I think I'm going to sell as I highly doubt I'd ever use any of it in a quilt.

Now I just finished getting supper ready: turkey slices with raw red pepper, lettuce and sweet pickles. One of my most favourite concoctions.

Will be cruising Netflix again tonight for something else that looks interesting :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have been doing a few changes in my front garden mainly because some ornamental conifers had died off. I think that the really hot Summer we had two years ago had killed them, but conifers can take ages to show they are dead. Getting the roots out was fun as they were all well over 30 years old, so my neighbours mattock and my bow saw were brought into action. I will be replacing them with other evergreens, but not conifers, so far I have cleared the ground and pegged down some weed suppressing black fabric which I have now covered in chipped forest bark. I am only half way through the job as the weather has been unpredictable, my intention is also to plant a Lavender hedge all around the outside for the Bees and Butterfly's in future years.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was out this morning with the daughter for a quick cruise through the one Thrift Shop that has a sale on today. Found a new metal footstool for outside. Now off to the grocery stores. Totally out of fruit and quite a few veggies too.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Just watched the first episode of "The spy" this evening, looks good so far thanks again for recommending it Horus & LLL.

Don't envy you getting the conifer roots out Horus. When we moved in there was a dead conifer hedge at the end of the garden & we had it cut down flush but the roots left. When we installed a water butt in July Barry had to level the ground & inevitably there was a bit of stump/root left & he had a hell of a job cutting it off!

I had planned on spending time in the garden dividing some of the plants up but the ground is still so dry I give up. I can't remember when we last had any real rain, must have been July when it rained overnight the night after the water butt went in (yes it had been forecast & they got it right) :o

Have you got a photo of your new stool LLL?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Fablux, there is another good drama just started on BBC called 'The Capture' after the first episode it is looking good, sorry that LLL can't watch it but it is on i-player for anyone interested who can get it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Very dull and cool today. The only useful thing I have done so far is to book flu vacs at Sainsburys on 10 October. Thursday morning so, convenient because that is when we do the weekly shopping. :up

I mentioned earlier that after much deliberation I finally decided to get my DNA via Ancestry. That was 17 August and they said that the normal time is 6 to 8 weeks. This was followed by a message that due to high demand there may be further delay.
I got a text this morning that my DNA result had been received by Ancestry and that they are analysing it and will report by Friday 13th. I don't like the date but at least the process has been much faster than expected.
I hope it doesn't open too many cans of worms :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Do you still get it for free at Sainsburys Grandad or do you have to pay?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 am Do you still get it for free at Sainsburys Grandad or do you have to pay?
Still free H :up Benefit of age :up :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I get mine free at the doctors, just wondered if Sainsbury's charged.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am I get mine free at the doctors, just wondered if Sainsbury's charged.
H, we opt for Lloyds pharmacy within Sainsburys because we shop Thursday mornings and use taxis. We could have the jabs at the doctors surgery but that would mean two more taxis and the surgery is opposite side of town. So it is purely for convenience that we incorporate it with shopping. THEY DON'T DO PACEMAKERS AT SAINSBURYS OR I WOULD HAVE OPTED TO GO THERE FOR MINE. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

But you can buy a rechargeable battery there :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good thought to start looking around to see where flu shots are going to be distributed this year. Get one every year.

Today am doing laundry, threw in a loaf of bread to the breadmaker, will hit the gym for a mile or so walk and clearing out the fabric room (de-stashing the stash so to speak).

Sun is shining here but it sure smacks of fall.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Horus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 pm Fablux, there is another good drama just started on BBC called 'The Capture' after the first episode it is looking good, sorry that LLL can't watch it but it is on i-player for anyone interested who can get it.
Talk about coincidence we have just been watching it, hence logging on at 10 p.m. Intriguing isn't it?