What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Ruby Slippers Be real careful re: your dental matter. Nothing more painful than a tooth gone bad. If all else you should be able to go to your Doctor for antibiotics and pain killers.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Almost a week from the last post on this thread? Apologies for my own absence but life has been a bit busy and to be honest I have had little to contribute. As Horus has mentioned, the blue side is also very quiet unless you are interested in food poisoning in Luxor but, as none of us are planning to go, it is of little interest unless you actually live there. Do any ex-pats still actually live there??? I don't know any personally any more. :(
I know I have given a running commentary about my experiences with scooters and the fact that I did try 2 but returned them foe a refund.
I had a hospital glaucoma appointment on Saturday and waited to be last to exit the bus. I asked the driver if I could bring my scooter on the bus taking care to describe how small it is. She was very positive telling me that of course I can. She said she has one regular passenger who has a large scooter AND A DOG and she is permitted to use the bus. This could open up more opportunities for me to go further afield like down to the coast. ;) :up :lol:
Yesterday, and unusually, we both had an AMD appointment at the Sunday eye clinic. Both had an injection so a very miserable few hours until all the dilation, antibiotics and anesthetic wore off. On the positive side, there are many worse off......
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This past weekend I had Tenants move out and new ones move in. This meant a weekend of cleaning for me but I got it all done and none of it was bad or overly taxing work-wise but I did have to hang around to let carpet cleaners in.

Today I've already booked another two day trip to the States as I'll go with a girl friend for a shopping two dayer early November.

Sun is out so am thinking I'll take myself on a walk down to one of the beaches. Want to collect a bag of small rocks I can paint and then plant all along the trail behind the house as the School kids can then "find" them when they do their walks along there.

Just realized I also have to move all the potted plants back into place as I moved some of them so none of the Tenants & Movers would bump them during the move out & in. Maybe I'll wait and see if I can snag the new fellow to do this. Pots aren't that big or heavy and I drag them but more muscle would help.........will think on this one.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great news about the bus taking your scooter Grandad, I suppose you also get a free bus pass in your area? that will make it even more attractive for you to explore further afield :up all you need now is a dog in order to get the best out of your free travel :lol: :lol:

@ LLL, I take it the rock painting and collecting by the school kids is also popular in Canada? I think I have mentioned before that I sometimes paint a few rocks and hide them for the kids to find. The latest craze I have seen is that some clever ladies knit them little hats :D something I won't be trying as my talents don't extend to knitting, sewing up Annies torn up favourite toy (a Dinosaur) is about my limit and I'm no good at that.

Saw these painted rocks and thought they were brilliant, you need to be a real artist to produce something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus - those rocks of the cats DO take lots of special talent. Way more than I have. I plan on making a few lady bugs (am sure I'm as good as the average 3rd grader ;) ) and will paint a few others with words: Peace, Happiness (maybe not that word as it is too long) or simple messages & symbols and then semi-hide them along the trail.

I painted 80 such rocks a couple years ago to hand out at a Garden Club type event and they were taken to put into plant pots.

I think the actual rock collecting idea is "kinda" popular here but I'm not really sure. When I go to the States and stayed in Lynden in the Lobby of the hotel they had a small table with a few rocks and a book where you could ID where you were from and where you found your rock and then donate another rock if you wanted so I took it from there that this was a fairly interesting pass time there.

We do have a Glass Art Studio here that blows a number of glass balls yearly and hides them throughout the summer on the local beaches amongst the rocks. They're playing mostly (I think) to tourists as the beaches they hid on are mostly frequented by tourists. The glass orbs they hide are all pretty spectacular and they'll advertise in the spring they're hiding X number. It definitely does bring out Beach Combers though.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Little works of art, those are H :up

I find glass as an art medium quite fascinating. How an artist can create beautiful objects from molten glass escapes me.
Here are 3 glass items that we have on a sideboard.
20161108 New John Lewis lamps.JPG
We bought the green bowl which is made up of strips of glass bonded together, from the artist Roberta Mason, who has a studio here in Kent. This is her web address.
https://www.robertamasonartglass.com/?u ... _source=so

The greenish Rhino is made from recycled bottle glas which we bought in South Africa.

The clear glass Leopard is signed and in Hoya glass. I bought this as a souvenir of a trip to Chicago.

We have a few other pieces of glass that illustrate what can be done with a very hot medium......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Awe they are so cute Horus, plenty little rocks here if only I had the talent ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Kiya, living so close to the sea you can have your choice of suitable stones, I brought a few back with me from our last trip in Wales. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I had an email from Ancestry.com advising me that in view of the high demand my DNA results may be slightly delayed. So I am now hopeful to get the result by end of October.

On another subject, my tomatoes have been very productive. Of those plants I propogated from seed, I kept 9 and gave others to family. The variety is 'Red Cherry', a small tomato that varies from about 15mm to 30mm in diameter. We have harvested daily and given quite a lot away to family and neighbour who, like us, have eaten them like sweets. ;)
One plant is completely finished and this morning I moved the remaining 8 all together while the last of the fruit ripens. Here is how they look now.
P1020047.JPG
I have kept a couple of larger ones with the intention of starting absolutely from basics with my own seed next year. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today is the start of school so the crew will all be marching off today to be 'in' school from 11am to noon then home but today is also their Mom's birthday soooooooo.........our plan (and the Daughter, their Mom is IN on it) is that about 1pm I phone their Mom and tell her my car is broke down and she needs to come and pick me up.

Where she'll be picking me up is at the Bowling Alley so that when they all get there the Crew gets to yell "Surprise" & "Happy Birthday" at their Mom and we all go in and have an hour and a half to bowl. I'll also have her prezzies they've made her so she'll get them too.

The Crew love to take their Mom out (via Me) so this was their Master Plan, of course all in lots of secret meetings, for her Birthday surprise.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Brilliant, love the idea :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sooooooooo I went bowling with the Grandkids and #1 Twin actually out scored me and #2 Twin tied me and I'm never admitting I didn't even break 100 points out of a total possible score of 300 (I think)........AND I didn't even act insulted when the Lady at the Bowling alley asked me if I wanted the bumper guards put up .... :roll: :roll: :o :o BUT the crew had a great time and it was lots of fun.

Last night I was at the Unit meeting of Community Policing and today was Probus (rather boring Presenter re: travel insurance) and then off to POTTERY! ;) Am very happy to be back to being creative and making things.

One of the other ladies has started to make pottery beads you'd find in a necklace. We have one antiquated pottery stand that has heavy wires going across it that she is suspending her beads (actually flat pieces) on.

Apparently the 'wire' that holds these beads is special and I believe it is call "Nichrome" or some such as it doesn't melt in the kiln. Just before the Pottery studio closed she found this so planned during the summer to use it via making pendants. Now that I've seen it it would be more than interesting to use to make 'jewels' but where would one ever find wire that isn't going to melt? (especially here on this rock ;) )

Tomorrow is the kick off of Hockey Season. Went and picked up the tickets today for me and the Twins. They now have proper Hockey jerseys to wear which is going to make the game just that much more "WOO HOO" and "GO GO GO" for them ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: isn't it awful when you get thrashed by the kids. :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, couldn't you have a hole in the bead or a separate piece of clay closure on the back with a hole pierced in it? That will save you having to worry about heat proof wire?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, the determining factor is the temperature of the kiln. I guess it would be around 1000C. Most common metals (aluminium, copper, steel, brass) melt at or below this temperature. Nickel is around 1500C and chromium around 1800C, so depending on the alloy of these two metals the melt temperature would be between 1500 and 1800C. Which explains where your nichrome comes from.
It is unlikely that you would find any suitable wire at a hardware or DIY store, maybe an electrical store?
This list may help if you do find anything and need to check its melt temperature.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melt ... d_860.html
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Yeah kinda sucks to know my bowling skills fit right into a 9yr old level! ;)

@Ruby Slippers What you suggested might work but bead making has to be approved via the Technician Person in the kiln room and they want them made a specific way via these wires.

@Grandad Thanks for the chart. Definitely good info. I highly doubt there is anywhere around here that would sell something as specialized a wire that won't melt in a kiln. I may look when I'm down in the States but I'm not sure 'where' to look there so first I have to research the stores and then actually research where they might be located and actually get me there. I think, if I opt to make jewelry beads, I'll use what we have but it is pretty small (like maybe 10 beads tops?) per firing.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Kick off of Hockey Season tonight. Am sure the Twins will be hyped to get to Game #1. Lots of fans will be at the game too as the other team is coming from about 1 hour away.

Am off for a Community Policing Shift this afternoon too AND I think we've just got a NEW Van to drive (which will definitely be nicer than this great huge Van we're driving around in now)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hockey game last night. Both boys got 'high fives' from the Clippers mascot, then won free pizza boxes cause they were making the most noise in the section and then when an aberrant puck got shot up into the stands directly AT Us it hit the end chair of the stadium row right beside us causing them to literally rocket out of their seats to get it. For them a fantastic night of scoring. Not so much for the team. Lost 0 to 2 to the team down Island.

Was also not a great game. Was the first game of the season but way too much fighting and the referees should have clamped down on it at the first punch thrown vs allowing scrims to start and players to beat on each other. Nor have I ever seen hockey sticks dropped on the ice allowed to just lay there as the game proceeded around them. Not that I've seen many games but I've never seen as many penalties cause of high aggression.

Didn't do much today. Went out to finish my book over a cuppa this morning, came home and picked about 8 to 10 pounds of ripe tomatoes then took them around to the neighbours only to find out nobody was home. Even the daughter's in-laws jammed out on me having got tomatoes day before from somebody else.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I could never really follow your game of ice hockey LLL :ni:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Roy loved the game when he was over there & he still has the puck he was given :)