Currently reading.......

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Currently reading.......

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am currently reading "The Pearl that Broke Its Shell" by Nadia Hashimi. I quite like her stories of Afghanistan.

Last month I read "When the Moon is Low" and quite enjoyed it. She has an interesting style in story telling and really does bring her characters to life. Well work a look see & read if you're looking for something to pass the time.

I'm actually reading these as paper in hand books too vs my Kindle. I go to a group once a month "Probus" and they have quite an active book exchange happening there so I've picked up both these books at the exchange in the Lobby prior to the meeting and Speaker of the month.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have the Probus group here also.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Really? Interesting. I joined and go as usually they have interesting speakers every month. I think here we have 5 Groups total in and about this area. I joined the one closest to me. Might stay with it or I might leave & join another Group in future if those activities come more in line with my interests.

Mostly the activities here (which I don't do) are like "Nine & Dine" which is golf & dining with 'golf' being a really main feature of the club. There are also lots of different card playing groups (Bridge, Canasta, Euchre, Cribbage) but playing cards isn't my thing either especially if I have to schedule two afternoons or evenings per month. They did have a Craft club and I went to that which is where I made 2 silk scarves and a wire memory tree. Was fun but all I wanted to do craft-wise. They also do lots of Pub evenings & wine tasting groups (which I'm also not too inclined to join) and they have other groups if you're playing a musical instrument. I don't mind belonging and doing some of the things (missed getting in on a gardening tour trip this past spring) as they come up.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Similar things here, but mainly lunches and lectures, not really my scene.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've come to know a few of the people that go there and I like the lectures which often feature travel destinations. There are 228 members in the group I go to so not terribly huge.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks for the heads up on Nadia Hashimi, LLL. I am halfway through 'When the Moon is Low' and enjoying it very much. I will try to read some more by her. I had never heard of her before you mentioned her!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Ruby Slippers I like her writing and will look for more from her myself. I actually enjoyed the "Pearl That Broke It's Shell" more than "When the Moon is Low" but I definitely like her style of writing.

Right now I'm reading "The Garden of Burning Sand" by Corban Addison. SUPER interesting book.... won't tell about it in case you opt to read it but I'm really liking this read.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I really like Middle East writing but struggle to find any. If you do come across any authors, do let me know.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I really love reading stories of the Middle East too and often search them when I'm not reading about Jewish People during the Holocaust (WHY I'm fascinated with biographies I'll never know)

These are some of the books I've found enjoyable to read. Granted some more than others but these are some of the ones that come to mind...… I've read almost all novels written by Jean Sasson. She has written extensively re: women in the Middle East.

Some other books I've read and enjoyed:

"I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced" by Nujood Ali

"In the Land of Invisible Women, A Female Doctors Journey in the Saudi Kingdom" Ahmed

"Paramedic to the Prince" by Patrick Notestine

"Desert Flower - The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad" by Waris Dirie

"Beyond the Burqua - Our life in Afghanistan and how we escaped to Freedom" by Sulima and Hala

"The Dressmaker of Khair Khana" by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon -

"Rage Against the Veil" by Parvin Darabi

"Growing up bin Laden" by Omar bin Laden

"Zoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom" by John Follain

"Yemen, Dancing on the Heads of Snakes" by Victoria Clark

"Tiny Dancer: The Incredible True Story of a Young Burn Victim's Journey from Afghanistan" by Anthony Flacco ****REALLY GOOD READ

"Daughters of Iraq" by Revital Shiri-Horowitz

"After the Prophet - The Epic Story of the Shia-Sunni Split in Islam" by Lesley Hazelton ***Super Interesting - have read this one twice

"Beneath the Pale Blue Burqua" by Kay Danes
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just saw advertised - "A House Without Windows" a new novel by Nadia Hashimi. Again a story of a woman in Afghanistan.

Am seeing this as an electronic E-book for Kindle so will put it onto my wish list to keep and remember the title. I quite enjoyed her books.