New TV programme, worth a look.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

New TV programme, worth a look.

Post by Horus »

A bit late to give you all a heads up, but tonight they started a new series of ‘5 Go Barging’ which is a programme with five celebrities on a canal barge. This one will be touring through my local area and its a good chance to see where I walk Annie along the Trent & Mersey and Macclesfield canals. This week they started at a place called Frogall and visited Consall Forge which was a place I suggested to Grandad on his last visit ‘Oop North’ before continuing along the Caldon canal where they visited the old flint mill and the town of Leek in the Staffordshire Moorlands. They should be arriving at the Etruria Junction next week which is the place I advised Grandad to visit and to see ‘Princess’ the working steam beam engine in the old Shirley’s Bone Mill, perhaps they will make a visit themselves. After that they should pass through the famous ‘Harecastle Tunnel’ at Kidsgrove and I think they get to chat to our own local historian Philip Leese. Just after the tunnel they should take a branch off the Trent & Mersey that takes them over an aqueduct onto the very scenic Macclesfield canal. It is a great programme for me to watch as I know every inch of where they are travelling. :up

It’s on Channel 5 at 9pm next Friday and if you have a Smart TV tonight’s episode may soon be available on the My5 catchup channel. The celebrities include the MP John Prescott, the actress and singer Anita Harris, Michael Buerk, the TV anchor man, actress Amanda Barrie and some other guy out of a TV soap.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: New TV programme, worth a look.

Post by Grandad »

We watched it H and felt that the scenes along the canal were familiar. Not that we have seen that stretch, just the tranquility of the canal. I shall tell my daughter to catch up if she didn't see it because I am sure it will convince them that it is a holiday they must do. And with us in tow I hasten to add. 😀
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd love to watch it but ????? :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Quick reminder that the programme ‘5 Go Barging’ is on again of Friday at 9 pm on Channel 5
They will be in my local area and talking to some local historian. This episode will start at the place where Grandad visited at the junction of the Caldon and Trent & Merset Canals, they will leave the T&M just before one of my favourite canal side pubs which sells real ale (The Blue Bell) and go behind it over the aquaduct to pick up the Macclesfield canal, you should be able to recognise a few places from my previous photo's on here. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Taken note....Thanks :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

By now you all know what Annie looks like, so keep your eyes peeled you may just see us on our travels. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We enjoyed the second program and find it light and entertaining. However I did think they could have shown more at Etruria and less of the potters wheel that we have all seen before.
But Harecastle tunnel next week H. I can just see them 'legging it' 😀
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I was a bit disapointed in the last programme Grandad, as you know there is a lot more to see in the area and to me they just skirted over everything. They showed absolutely nothing at the Etruria junction which as you know has lots going on there, at Westport Lake they showed you nothing except for a canal barge selling beer, had they bothered to look away from the canal you would have seen a lovely lake with a visitor centre and a circular tree lined walk and a Mecca for wildlife. Annie and I walk around there often and from their short clip I would not have recognised the place. They showed a pot throwing clip from a shop and nothing of the old working Victorian Potbank museum that housed it. Then they visit Trentham Gardens a most beautiful place and then only show people the monkey park which is just an add on attraction elsewhere in the parklands and someone should tell Michael Buerk how to pronounce local names, it is the Caldon canal "Call-Don" and not the "Kal-Don" canal. Likewise it is Trentham "Trent-Ham" and not "Trenth-Am". I am assuming that they put John Prescott on another boat because he has the manners of a pig, fancy sneezing all over peoples fodd the way he did, disgusting pig, I would have chucked him overboard. As for them 'legging' it through the Harecastle tunnel, I doubt it as that one is closed ;) they will pass through the Telford tunnel by driving through although the way most of them handle a barge it will probably collapse as they seem to hit just about everything along the way. There is so much of interest on their journey but I doubt we will be seeing much of it and no doubt their chat with Phillip Leese our local historian will be even less informative, I wish I could have done the series for them, it is such a beautiful and historically interesting length of canal, but so far we have seen little of it :urm:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I also believe that they will visit the churchyard in 'Newchapel' to see the grave of James Brindley who is burried there, as is my paternal Grandfather, one of my cousins also lives just opposite from the church. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I hope the coming episodes improve. It has been so nice that places mentioned seem familiar from your own posts Horus. I just wish there was a bit more history and a lot less focus on the differing personalities. I do find the humour light hearted and acceptable entertainment (with the exception of that John Prescott event that should have been edited out, not left in :xx ) but too much of it and the balance is wrong IMO. :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hey Horus, You should write to CH5 and give your thoughts and opinion and hopefully get a reply ....go do it !
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 am Hey Horus, You should write to CH5 and give your thoughts and opinion and hopefully get a reply ....go do it !
I really ought to Kiya, I could have made a lot better job of it, as could many others I suspect.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

On another note, my wife is not a fan of the 'Who Do You Think You Are?' series. I love 'em :up

I thought last nights featuring actress Naomi Harris was really good. It gave her emotion, sadness and pride in her ancestry back to slavery in the late eighteenth century. Excellent TV IMO :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have watched a couple of them, but I am not a great fan of the series.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I always watch " Who Do You Think You Are " it's always interesting, last nights Naomi was really surprised how

far back they traced her ancestry :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I like 'Who do you think you are' too, but I'm getting soooo fed up with the constant banging on about ancestors who were black slaves! I'm not the only one to feel like this, surely? White westerners are constantly having to feel apologetic over the fact that slavery existed! Well, I think I can honestly state that I'm pretty sure MY ancestors suffered just as much at the hands of the higher end of society, so I don't feel that I owe anything!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Completely agree with you RS, I used to spend a lot of time in Ireland and used to get all of the "how the English oppressed us" remarks. I used to shut them up by telling them "the very same people who were oppressing your ancestors were also oppressing mine! so don't expect me to feel guilty about anything you may have suffered". I wasn't there, so I have nothing to apologise for, it is all in the past, I do not condone it, but I can do nothing about it, it is not nor ever was my problem, so get used to it. I may as well keep banging on about oppression by Nordic invaders, Germanic tribes, French Normans and of course the Romans.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is just the personal history of one individual, not the history of the Empire. I take it for what it is, entertainment, and I look no further.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I assume as no one has commented on last Fridays programme that no one bothered to watch it, it was full of the usual inaccuracies regarding places, names etc. and of course missed out lots of more interesting local sites, you could even see my home from several of the higher vantage points they visited. From start to finish it has been very familiar territory for myself and Annie as we have walked all of their trip along the canals, just a pity they made such a hash of the programme.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We did watch it H and thought it was a bit better than the second program. You have the advantage of knowing the area so well that you are bound to be critical about factual inaccuracies in the dialogue. I think that many people, who do not know the canal network and are not too well versed in our industrial history, would find it an entertaining series.
At last we went through Harecastle Tunnelm that we feel we know from your reports. And I spotted that blue recovery barge moored at one end. I didn't know that it was so much wider inside nor that fans are used to circulate air into the tunnel. For me, that bit was good and interesting.
We sit in the middle, we know a little and want to be entertained so as a program, there was little else available on Friday evening.