Oooh! Mrs Durrells!

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Oooh! Mrs Durrells!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm into the second series of Line of Duty now and it's the series with Keeley Hawes. The violence is still very much in evidence but I suppose I'm expecting it now - although it does make me flinch! :sd Several things have struck me so far:

1. Keeley Hawes is quite a large lady in all senses of the word, isn't she? I hadn't realized this in The Durrells and it quite surprised me.

2. The violence, as I've mentioned a few times, is remarkable. So much so that it wouldn't come amiss in an American programme. I certainly hadn't realized that this level of violence existed in the British police force, but I have to believe that it does because TV crews usually contain members who oversee the veracity of programmes shown.

3. I'm beginning to see how the threads are woven through the various series, although each series tells a different story.

Hey ho! Only another 21 episodes to go! :lol:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Oooh! Mrs Durrells!

Post by Horus »

Since this series was mentioned I had previously said I had not watched any of it, but I later realised that I had in fact watched series 1. This thread triggered me to start watching it again on I-player, although I now see that Netflix is currently screening series 1 to 4, :up I must say that I have been binging on this series over the last few days and am now up to series 4 episode 3. Not to sure about the veracity of the police procedures or the way it all gets over involved in protocol, but it does make good TV. I agree about Keeley Hawes being a bigger girl than you imagine from other programmes and Steve Arnott is very small in stature he needs a box when talking to Dot Cotton, but the thing I am obsessed with at the moment is Vicky McClures (Kate Fleming) hairstyles. Maybe as a guy I should not be criticising it, but it seems to change with each series, I really liked the short 'pixi' cut that she had in series 1, but by series 2 it was a lot longer on the sides, in series 3 it did not suit her at all, far too long and when it was grabbed up in a teeny scraggy bunch at the back it looked awful as if she had dashed out without combing it. :td One thing I have noticed by binging the series is that in every series someone always says in an interview whilst being questioned "may I point out that I may not be asked a question by anyone who is not at least one rank above me" :lol: it happens in every series. :D Having said all that I consider it to be an excellent quality programme, well acted and with a reasonable (if not always convincing) plot, I also like the way that the characters overlap somewhere in subsequent plot lines.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I suppose we can allow the writer some licence to add to the drama. I also like the way there is some continuity from events in earlier series and episodes. Not least Keeley Hawes character who I believe got her come uppance.
Martin Compston (Steve Arnott) has a southern accent in the series. He must have worked hard on that because if you hear him in an interview he has a very strong Scottish accent, his native tongue..
The BBC have commissioned a new series (series 6) so one day we may find out who is the missing 'Caddy''
The original series drew an audience of around 4 million on BBC2: series 5 on BBC1 drew over 9 million. Keep them coming BBC, compelling viewing...
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I just re-searched it on Netflix here and "voila" there is now a Series 4. I watched it about a year ago or so and only got to see the first 3 seasons. I with there were more episodes as I did enjoy this.

Usually once you've watched a show if there are new episodes there is an announcement banner across the show saying "new episodes" but for some reason I missed this. Might just start again at the beginning and re-watch or binge watch the entire series so I can add in Season 4.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, I don't want to put it on here as it may spoil it for others, but .............. I thought we already knew who the 'Caddy' was in an earlier series?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
Like you H I don't want to go into details but I thought in series 5 it was concluded that there were 4 Caddys. By the end of series 5 only 3 had been identified.......or maybe I have missed something. I must admit that with the complicated plots, quiet dialogue and dark scenes I think it could be possible I did miss something.....
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I have not seen series 5 yet so it may be revealled in a later episode that their are more 'Caddys' but as far as I can make out so far there is only the one 'Caddy' and his name comes from a childhood connection with one of the characters, there were a few names bandied about by the real Caddy to try and muddy the waters by pointing the finger at others. It may be that the plot line writer adds a few more in the 5th series to get us all wondering what is really going on, so I eagerly await the next series. I will leave it there for now so as not to give anything away until we have all watched it, then we can discuss it openly.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Started watching "Scott & Bailey" a week ago. Am now up to mid-Season 3. Can't say this is my most favourite all time series ever but am enjoying it.

I suppose as a main competitor to "Netflix" I'm now seeing advertisements here on cable TV for "Britbox" which is, I'm supposing, much like Netflix but with all UK content. Haven't thought yet to subscribe to it but it is being touted here right now as a great venue to watch.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not heard of that one, you will need to check out the contents on offer
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is a UK production and there are 5 seasons to it which I kinda look for figuring that if a Show lasts 5 seasons somebody must've liked it. It is basically two women Detectives. There is a theme of interactions but each episode could be a stand alone show however following the entire series from start to ending is more interesting as you can see how the characters are developing.

Can't say it is my all time favourite but I'm quite enjoying it and the "who dun it?"
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm quite pleased to see that Channel 4 are starting a complete re-run of Downton Abbey next week. I never managed to watch it but everyone was raving over it so I was considering getting the DVD's from Amazon. Now I can save myself some money! Just got to rearrange meal times so I can wTch it in peace. :-)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I quite enjoyed Downtown Abby when it was on Netflix. The characters strong, acting excellent and costumes definitely works of art. To get a complete outfit in those days would have taken weeks! Not too sure I would have liked the large derriere pieces.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

They were actually called a 'bumroll' LLL! :-) Sorry, LLL. That was the name of the Elizabethan ones. The Victorian ones were called a bustle! :D
Last edited by Ruby Slippers on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The dreaded Kardashians would have economised there! ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

On the subject of ladies dress I was curious about one aspect seen in the new BBC series 'Gentleman Jack'. At the very start of each episode a woman can be seen getting dressed in all the old fashioned clothing, at one point she is being laced up into a type of corset and then she pushes some sort of what I can only describe as a longish flat object down the front between her bust, what on earth is that for? I am most curious. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yes - "Bustle"! I know the word but it wasn't coming to me......haven't heard of "bumroll" but I did know bustle. I can't even imagine the bolts and bolts of fabric that went into making an outfit way back when. I've always bought fabric by the yard. After I've selected a pattern to sew and figured out how wide the bolt is, do I have to accommodate a small pattern or big pattern in the fabric etc I can opt to buy 1 - 3 yds (usually about that much) but can quite imagine way back when buying the entire bolt + just to make 1 outfit as I'm figuring you're making a skirt, jacket with sleeves, hat and who knows what all else.

@Horus I haven't seen the show you mentioned but I'd hazard if a woman in slipping something down the front it might be to straighten the front laces of the corset to get them to all lay flat but?? That would be my guess but ??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your guess is as good as mine LLL, it looked a bit like a flat shoe horn, but longer.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

@Horus. It could possibly be to flatten her chest so she looked more masculine. Wasn't she supposed to have been a lesbian? I know that the flappers in the 1920's used to bandage their boobs flat so that they looked more boyish and younger, so maybe a similar thing?
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Horus wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:32 am On the subject of ladies dress I was curious about one aspect seen in the new BBC series 'Gentleman Jack'. At the very start of each episode a woman can be seen getting dressed in all the old fashioned clothing, at one point she is being laced up into a type of corset and then she pushes some sort of what I can only describe as a longish flat object down the front between her bust, what on earth is that for? I am most curious. :tk

It's a busk..........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that Pat, it certainly resembles that sort of thing, :up I can now sleep at night. :lol: