LOOKING TO THE FUTURE ABOUT THE PAST

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE ABOUT THE PAST

Post by Grandad »

Just over three weeks ago, on Easter Saturday, our eldest grandson came to visit us in the afternoon. Alex will be 26 in August, he gained his degree at Brighton University and now works at the University of East Anglia in Norwich. He has always had an interest in history in particular the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

20150727 Alex Graduates at Brighton Uni.jpg
Easter weekend was nice and warm so we sat outside with tea and biscuits. He then pulled a surprise by producing a small digital recorder and saying he would like to chat about our life and experiences when we were young. This included time through WWII but even after about an hour we had only talked about a small part of our life. He said he wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to chat about these things because too often younger generations regret not talking to their aunts, uncles and grandparents.
In the past I did write down some of my wartime experiences as a young lad and next day I emailed copies of them to Alex.
I knew that he would reply in due course and today I received the following email from him. I felt inclined to share it here because I am quite proud that he will take the time to make a record of us and our life for the interest of future generations of the family:

Hi Grandad,

Thanks for sending these. I have dipped in and read them all on the bus to and from work. I think I have a good understanding of the hard facts of the early 20th century and the second war, but by understanding the details of everyday life - and especially your personal experiences - my mental picture becomes all the richer. They are very interesting indeed.

I am glad we chatted last month; it was a lovely afternoon and I really enjoyed learning all these little things from you both. I was watching something the other day about traditional foresters in the UK who - for financial, environmental and planning authority reasons - live ‘basic’ lifestyles in huts and cabins on-site to manage the woodland and practice their craft all year round. It’s a radical lifestyle choice from a modern perspective, and I imagine wouldn’t be palatable to many people, but it struck me that their living facilities (no hot running water, no central heating, no electricity) are no harder than you and most people had a couple of generations ago.

I would like to come and speak to you both again, about school, family and other things you can remember. The world is so future-focused and fast paced now, I think it’s really important to keep in touch with our heritage. The recording came out well, what I love most is that it preserves your characters as well as memories. If or when we get round to recording more, I will burn them to disc or find another way of conserving them so that they are available in the future.

Bye for now, love to Nana,
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Re: LOOKING TO THE FUTURE ABOUT THE PAST

Post by Hurghadapat »

How lovely and what a great idea.There are many times that I wish I had listened more carefully to some of the tales that my mother used to tell because now I find there are gaps especially when it comes to past family,and unfortunately have no way of finding out as both my parents and my two older brothers are now deceased,plus have no contact with relatives from either my mother or fathers side of the family so will forever wonder.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

How absolutely wonderful to hear that from a member of the younger generation. Without wishing to bring the Brexit issue into things it has always intrigued me as to why so many other societies revere their elders for their wisdom and experience, but in issues like the Brexit debate we all seemed to be tarred with a brush that says we know nothing and should be ignored, but an 18 year old has all the experience in the world and must be listened to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is really wonderful your Grandson is showing such an interest. What you don't know you can't really appreciate and there isn't much about our past lives that translates into todays world of young people. My world, as a child, was definitely very slow compared to the world today however I had mega freedom of movement that is almost non-existent here. Sharing your early experiences is invaluable especially as a way to help preserve the past as a reality that was.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad your grandson Alex sounds to be a very nice young lad and no wonder you and Mrs G are so proud.

Glad to hear some youngsters are interested in the past for the future :) :)