What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - On the tutorials I was watching they were moving a fairly small sized piece of fabric around whilst showing how to use the different patterns in different rules. As I watched I was thinking to me - "that would work super well if I was making placemats or a table scarf/runner" but trying to move a huge quilt around to get a leaf or part of a fan pattern etc would be really awkward IMO. Doubt I'd do it with a huge quilt but I got the idea.

I don't have that foot but will have a look see next time I go to the sewing stores in the States. I don't want to faint at the price of them here IF they're even here but will check as I could see me doing this for a table runner. That said because our 2 little sewing stores are so expensive I don't really ever go to them. I do occasionally but they're not on my regular flight path.

I will never purchase one of the long arm computerized machines. What they can do makes them tempting. The price for a basic model is expensive and to purchase an up to date computerized sewing machine here would be the equivalent IMO of purchasing a car. You'd have to start quilting professionally to justify the cost. Nor could I purchase one in the States as, am sure, the import tax into Canada would be prohibitive so I'll carry on with what I have and lastly I don't have the space to set one up. The Janome I do have does have a somewhat deeper throat for quilting. It takes shoving and pushing but I can do a single bed sized quilt. I possibly could do a larger one but it would take lots of pushing shoving rolling maneuvering.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Never say never, LLL! ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - Totally true - never say never........never know - maybe one day ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I was intrigued to find out what you ladies were talking about and watched a couple of videos. All very interesting but in the demonstrations they seem to only be working on workpieces about the size of cushion covers. I can imagine how difficult it would be to manipulate something like a bed cover.
I also noticed that when stitching circles, the acrylic template was anchored on a locating pin to ensure all circles were concentric. I also noticed on another video that, when sewing a feather shape, the template was not anchored and just held in place. I couldn't see that holding the template against the needle guide would guarantee that the template would not move out of position.
What DID occur to me is how similar using templates for quilting is to using templates with my favourite power tools, routers.

PS: An after thought. The movement of the workpiece seems to be freehand. Does that mean that the lower feed dog is disconnected or not used because direction of feed of the workpiece seems to be anywhere around 360 degrees?
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - 'yes' when you're free motion quilting You, the Sewer, are the power. The lower feed dogs are dropped and it is the Sewer who is moving the fabric around. I've tried it with a few small pieces (placemats I made for the Grandkids) and it isn't bad to be moving small chunks of fabric but IMO it would be really hard moving a bedspread. Just too much fabric although some women do it and turn out absolutely gorgeous quilts.

I've also seen - pictures only - whereby the quilt is set or stretched on a large frame and then there is a mobile sewing unit thing that has two hand grips that you move back and forth as you quilt.

I guess there are two aspects to a quilt. First there is the pattern of the fabric itself. The arrangement of material into a pattern sewn together. Then there is the actual thread & stitching that can be totally plain (like what I do with machine stitching) or patterns sewn onto the fabric. It is fascinating that you could take a totally plain piece of fabric and stitch a highly detailed pattern into it creating beauty.

With quilting there is so much to learn. So many techniques and the creation possibilities endless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note the sun it out and am waiting for the daughter to arrive. We're going to head out for a cuppa and I'll get to hear all about her trip back east. Her and her sister did some sightseeing and went to an Ice Hotel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am curious to hear how your Brexit vote is going. I think I've heard it is today but am definitely not getting updates here on it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

SO! when you are 'the power', you must move the work piece at a smooth and consistent rate to ensure that the sewing pitch is regular. That alone is not easy to do especially as you would be varying the speed of the needle so you must also vary the rate of fabric movement. All sounds skillful to me to get a good looking result. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I've tried the free motion quilting on my machine. I have a presser foot on the floor to make my machine go and to regulate how fast it goes - kinda like your car. You have to keep the speed it is stitching at consistent, you have to move the fabric at a consistent speed and you actually have to do smooth corner i.e. If you jerk the fabric at all you end up making a BIG "V" shaped stitch which esthetically doesn't look too great. Conversely if you're stitching too fast and not moving the fabric fast enough you end up with a million teeny tiny stitches. Also doesn't look too great but better than 1/2" long stitches ;) (I know from doing it!).

Most who do free motion quilting say it all comes down to practice practice practice. Once you get the hang of it there are a bizzillion different patterns you can do fro stipple which is just a meandering stipple into the fabric to create an almost bubble type effect to most obvious patterns of huge feathery fronds or hearts or loops. An interesting piece of trivia is that you have to know prior to starting to FMQ what pattern you're going to use ;) You can't decide as you sew (again I know cause OMG I have to know where I'm going with this!)

I think I'm getting better in that I'm using different stitch patterns built into my machine which gives a different effect than just plain stitching. And the finished product does give you a bright colourful blanket :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've started emptying boxes again of stuff brought out of store by my daughter. I was doing 2 a day before the shunt, but haven't been able to since then. Anyway, this morning going through all the smaller kitchen stuff I've hit a problem.

What can I do with very sharp unwanted knives? I don't feel that I should put them in with the trash. :tk
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - re: Knives and kitchen stuff that isn't wanted - are there any Organizations that take household stuff to help set up young Moms into their own living situation you can donate to? We have Not-For-Profits here that do that and they're always looking for kitchen ware, bedding, linens and small wooden furniture.

Today is tooth extraction + bone graft day. I've never had anything like this before so hope it all goes well. Guess I could literally end up with a foot in my mouth! And if I venture to Sci-Fi world I'll now have a dead body growing in my mouth which could take over my entire personality and way of thinking!!!

Seriously I am going to ask the Dentist where (as in where in the body) the bone comes from. Googling says it can be MY bone (that isn't happening), human/animal or processed material. Most am just curious but on Googling it says it is an easy simple mostly successful procedure (hope so). At a minimum the sun is shining and the day looks pretty good out there.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Unfortunately charities here will not take kitchen tools. I think I'll put everything except knives in a box out on the front wall. The knives I shall ask the council about.

I must say I am most impressed by the collection men here. They work at terrific speed but are clean tidy and very polite. Outstanding.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is really interesting your charities there won't take kitchen stuff. It is almost big business here for the Charities and Thrift Stores to take everything. We have a Hospital Thrift and they for sure take anything and everything you want to give and sometimes will even come and pick it up. They re-sell it all to the Public cheap and usually manage to make $250,000+ per year they give back to the hospital (they bought an MRI machine a few years ago and usually do buy equipment). I love the idea of recycling and having to throw something out that was perfectly useful would really bother me big time.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Over here most towns have their own online group called Freecycle. You put on there anything you want to get rid of and if anyone wants it, they contact you and arrange a time and place for collection. Saves it going to landfill.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks Ruby, I'll check that out.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - Now that you mention it the City I was in in the States had that. I joined it "Freecycle" and you posted online, got emails and picked responses. Worked well and I recycled lots of stuff and was quite invaluable when I return home to Canada.

Tooth is gone, was relatively easy peasy and I'm feeling good. What I found interesting about the procedure was that once I was in the chair the Dentist drew two test tubes of blood. He put these into a centrifuge to remove the plasma and then mixed the residue with the bone which looked quite like crystal clear white sand or salt. The theory is using my own blood helps my body to accept this new foreign material, speed healing etc. Found it interesting to see the stuff and hear the explanations. Now I wait 3 months for a CAT scan then another 3 months for it all to solidify into bone. Couple ibuprophen (over the counter anti inflammatory pain killer) and I'm good to go.

Pottery today. I've made a whole bunch of stuff so will be cleaning it all up and moving it into the kiln room for firing plus collecting a bunch of buttons I can glaze.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I am very pleased to say that the effects of the shunt I was in last month seem to have fairly suddenly disappeared. :up I have been out to the city two days running to post a parcel firstly and to transfer a bit of money into my new Spanish Bank Account to get it started. I have to have a Police check before I can get residency and this is the first step.

On my way home I diverted the taxi to CareCo mobility scooter centre, as mentioned by Ruby they have a great array of vehicles on sale. After hours looking at the internet site I had set my heart on a lithium powered portable one, but unfortunately this, although being sold as suitable for travelling, actually may be refused by airlines and the staff seemed reluctant to recommend it. I suggested they re-write their advertisements.

So I started to look at the ones Ruby and Grandad had mentioned which were lovely but my legs wouldn't fit in. I tried one after another after another and finally got to the very cheapest very basic one which was OK in the leg department but didn't seem very robust. I haven't ruled it out though.

The garage conversion for my new abode is going on apace. We have a group WhatsApp which is such a help with videos and voice mails every day involving me in the process. The chap who is doing the work was pretty set on a sliding door on the entrance - having experienced several I am firmly resisting.

I should be going to Santa Eulalia for a quick trip soon when the flights from Bristol or Cardiff start and will try to get some photos on here. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad things are going well for you, but remember that with the upcomming forum changes you will need to be quick with your photos.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:upThanks Horus, hope I'll be in time!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
Horus wrote:Glad things are going well for you, but remember that with the upcoming forum changes you will need to be quick with your photos.
H, I have around 2500 images in the library. I am sure that I have originals on my computer BUT, is there any way I can copy all of my images down to a memory stick so that I can go through them just to see if there are any that I don't have the original of. It is unlikely but it would be quicker than wading through 122 pages of 20 online :(
Cheers :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry Grandad but I can't really help you there, what I did was to skip through the albums and see if there was anything I wanted. I don't think that all images are there because I had previously posted lots of photos of the place you are planning to visit and I could not find them anywhere, so I think they are a victim of forum pruning. :(
Dont forget to expand the thumbnail BEFORE you save them. ;)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Over here most towns have their own online group called Freecycle. You put on there anything you want to get rid of and if anyone wants it, they contact you and arrange a time and place for collection. Saves it going to landfill.
Sorry coming to this a bit late but I agree with RS, we got rid of a huge amount of items on Freecycle when we left the UK. Everything from kitchen tools, garden and garage tools to furniture and finally the last few boxes of odds and ends went to a lady who came for some cross stitch charts and mentioned she did car boots with her disabled mother. I know the items are not allowed to be taken for sale but I offered them to her on that basis so didn't feel we did anything wrong.