Exposing Danny Dyers Myth

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Exposing Danny Dyers Myth

Post by Grandad »

Danny Dyer if far from being a favourite actor of mine, I actually find him rather uncouth. When he was the subject of the BBC series 'Who do you think you are', the researchers traced his line back to King Edward III (1312 - 1377).
Subsequent to this he has appeared in a two part series 'Danny Dyer's Right Royal Family' where he appears as himself in situations of the time such as jousting, dancing etc.
He is now relishing his 'Regal' ancestry BUT, and I believe that I may have mentioned this before, it is possible to trace our own individual lines back to almost anyone in history and here I try to explain why.

This is a bit of hypothetical statistical nonsense for you to ponder on.

In the mid 16th century at the time of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I There was an estimated population in England and Wales of around 4 million people.

In studying my own genealogy and assuming that a generation is 20 years and that for each generation back we double our ancestors, then, and this is the big assumption.....

22 generations back and I have 4,194,304 ancestors (2 to the power 22), about the same as the population of England and Wales at that time; which means I could be related to everyone alive in England and Wales in mid 16th century INCLUDING Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

So is there really anything special about Danny Dyer's ancestry when, in truth, most native Brits can trace their ancestry to whoever they like. It is like a maze but you just have to find your way through the generations....

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Exposing Danny Dyers Myth

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW - Going on this theory I'm going to claim direct heritage to Mary Queen of Scots!

I did do the spit in the DNA tube and am something like almost pure Celtic. Just before leaving on holidays I've been contacted by a woman (early to mid-40ies am guessing) who was adopted, has also done the test and VOILA we're linked! I've got known cousins who have done this and can tell how close we're linking and this woman's coding IS close to mine and Ancestry is saying there is a 'high certainty' we're related on my Mother's side.

Shes said, via email, that she was herself 'found' by another sister she never knew she had and apparently there are 6 sibs in total. They've found 1 brother.

What was most interesting to me is that she was naming off place names of places that I only knew as a child close to where my Grannie settled.

Going to be interesting.......
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I remember my mother being contacted by letter by someone claiming to be a long lost relative. I told her to ignore it.
I have had similar approaches by email which I have also ignored.
I have never had a DNA test so your example is possibly different LLL. Whatever, in your case I would want an extended communication before there was any thought of meeting. And if a pleading hard luck story emerges, just forget it and, like the timeshare, walk away. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I remember my mother being contacted by letter by someone claiming to be a long lost relative. I told her to ignore it.
I have had similar approaches by email which I have also ignored.
I have never had a DNA test so your example is possibly different LLL. Whatever, in your case I would want an extended communication before there was any thought of meeting. And if a pleading hard luck story emerges, just forget it and, like the timeshare, walk away. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - this woman contacted me through Ancestry because her DNA and my DNA are closely linked. We're going to talk lots first and she mostly seems interested in finding family as she was adopted. Works as a home care aid, is married with 2 kids both in University. Will see how it all plays out. There were divorces and the Grandad left never to be heard of again so it is possible she links to me through that route.........???
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was reading that all of us blue eyed people trace back to one ancestor 6000 - 10000 years ago. At that time they figure there was a mutation and all blue eyed people come from that person. Really is only Europeans who have blue eyes. No other country in the world. I'm pale green eyes but I think green is a derivative of blue.
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Interesting thread. However the proximity of the UK to the rest of Europe opens up much greater scope.

My father made a study of our family tree back in the early 1980's. I think he got back to the early 18th Century before the family line on my mothers side branched out from Essex to a French blood line. The family name went from Chapel back to Chapelle which is a French name. Unfortunately the beautiful calligraphy chart that he had produced vanished before I could secure it after his and my mother's death only 6 weeks later. All this was gleaned from actual parish records in Hertfordshire and Essex before the time of computer searches etc.
I think my son is attempting to replicate this using internet searches and specific websites. It will challenge my memories of the various family connections that I can remember.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.