Is it time to bring back capital punishment?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Is it time to bring back capital punishment?

Post by Grandad »

I was appalled on Friday when I saw reports of the murder of Lee Pomeroy on a train from Guildford to London. Lee was stabbed in the neck in front of his 14 year old son after some sort of altercation with another man (armed with a knife). Two people are in custody but so far no charges have been brought.
When this culprit is brought to justice does HE have any right to live his life when he has brutally taken the life of another man. I think not.
In cases where there is absolutely no doubt, I believe that a murderer should pay the ultimate penalty. What is the alternative today in a soft legal system? Drugs and mobile phones are finding their way easily into high security prisons. Inside there is a gang culture and also radicalisation of inmates. It was reported yesterday that from INSIDE, recruits into the prison service are being arranged so that they can become mules to bring in contraband, mobile phones and even weapons.
Life in prison should not be 'soft' and a murderer has absolutely no right to be released after 10 to 15 years, or even less in some cases.
I really do believe in 'an eye for an eye' and Lee Pomeroys murderer should not get off lightly in my opinion. Bring back the death penalty.....

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Is it time to bring back capital punishment?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Haven't heard of anything here related to this incident with Mr Pomeroy but it sounds more then heinous and I totally agree that since our legal system has gone very soft crime has escalated beyond all reason.

This past summer we had a "Tent City" move into and take over our downtown. While this camp had some genuine homeless folk who for whatever reason could not find housing (i.e. Seniors who lost their housing and then whose income was inadequate to find another rental) MOST of the occupants were addicts and criminals. They robbed and pillaged their way around downtown. I no longer go to any of the parks there as it just isn't safe to do so.

Long story short the Provincial Gov't brought in trailers and has now housed 90 of these people in the Public works yards that is fenced with security but the "security" is to keep us good citizens OUT as these people nightly rob us, steal from us and otherwise terrorize the neighbourhoods.

One elderly couple suffered a violent home invasion (about a month ago) where entry was forced into their home, they were beaten and tied up. A Business man offers a $5000 reward for information on this and then 1 month later goes out of a morning only to find an individual beaten and tied up on his property.

Vigilante groups are forming as even if these criminals are caught they typically not held even overnight, they have so many rights to appeal and then typically get a slap on the wrist.

Granted the Mr Pomeroy case is much more severe but what does the criminal have to fear? Definitely not our legal justice system that praises "Restorative Justice" so that a criminal can "make amends" and then go right back out and re-offend.

IMO if there were real sanctions at an earlier point there would be some deterrent factor and if you do take another life your own should be forfeit.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am sure there are many who would echo your views LLL. But the human rights and PC brigade always seem to win the argument.
I don't know the statistics but I believe in London alone on the run up to Christmas there were more than 100 knife killings. You only need to make eye contact with some low lifes to be challenged "Are you disrespecting me?" any response and you get a knife in your belly :xx
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We're getting that way too here Grandad in that there is an entire contingent with a constant hue and cry supporting the ne'er do wells.... always touting They (the addicts/criminals) have had such trauma/drama/strife/challenges/I don't know what all in their lives that apparently makes it totally ok to rob and take from the rest of us as apparently the rest of us are "privileged." Those with troubles can't apparently be responsible for their actions as they're disadvantaged.

There is lots of support for very able bodied men & women who have made life choices to become drug addicted, live on the streets which does bring its own form of mental health issues with those supporters offering every kind of excuse for totally reprehensible behaviour(s). Nobody is held accountable anymore. Nobody is made to do anything. If you want to walk the streets stealing tools from hard working people barely making ends meet that seems to be totally fine and ok.

All very disturbing that nobody seems to have any regard for honest upright hard working tax paying people who are really trying to make something of their lives however those who commit crimes are getting more on the taxpayers dime than those who are working.

IMO we're getting like you've described. Knives are being carried and I doubt there will be a hesitation to start using them for almost any reason. Society seems to be breaking down rapidly. Standard norms are going away.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

There has to be severe sentencing for crime involving knives and their supply and sale. There is a problem though.

The prisons are totally inadequate in the UK so that by and large offenders only serve half their sentences. So many are given suspended sentences too - what sort of penalty is that?

Crime produces a mountain of knock on costs yet there isn't any plan in any political party to have a comprehensive answer to the problem - starting with accommodation of offenders.

The expression "First put your house in order" comes to mind, billions of pounds are spent in overseas aid while our own communities are descending into chaos. I would vote for any party with the will and means to revolutionise the prison system. It's actually not impossible, but it won't be done. :a67:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have no prisons or jails adequate to meet the needs hence arrests for extremely serious crimes are made and literally everybody is released on a promise to appear. At a recent Block Watch meeting (which is a program growing by leaps and bounds as all areas of this City are being hit hard by a wave of crime) the RCMP said that the average offender has 30 charges before they get any level of jail time which, at best, is pretty minimal (i.e. couple months). It is totally disrespectful to everybody who is being victimized.

In our northern communities many have no fresh water. Living conditions are horrendous, suicide is rampant - YET - our present Prime Minister has given away BILLIONS so much it is now estimated our country will be unable to balance its budget until 2046 (or something like that). We have given Billions away with no expectation of repayment or trade deals or anything whilst our own country has huge homeless/drug/mental health issues. BUT nobody campaigns on fixing our own house first. Seems doing that isn't fashionable.

IMO we're really heading downhill fast on a real slippery slope.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The man arrested has now been charged with the murder and will appear in court tomorrow. When proven guilty string the b*stard up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IMO if you've committed multiple heinous horrendous crimes involving the loss of life I think the forfeiting of your own should be expected. I fully realize the PC crowd would attack this notion but that is my own opinion.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't even like to see animals and birds in cages, but murderers - yes! You may put an ailing animal out of it's pain, but not a murderer.
Hanging is too good for them, caging for the rest of their natural life with no remmission is a kind of Hell. A hopeless situation. However, Life imprisonment must mean just that.
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I would like to see Grandad's standards applied to paedophiles! :xx