Any ideas for the next growing challenge?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Any ideas for the next growing challenge?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I want to prepare for the next challenge as the current Amaryllis one is well underway.

I like geranium/pelargoniums - they come in all sorts of sizes and colours, upright and weeping, amazing foliage or flowers and very tough and forgiving unless they get that horrible stem boring grub.

I haven't grown fuchsias for many years and all of the above applies except for the bug and that many are actually hardy. I had 94 varieties in my youth with tiny flowers less than a half inch across to huge beauties of four inches or more.

I'm tempted by both. :tk

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Any ideas for the next growing challenge?

Post by Grandad »

I have pleaded a lack of green fingers so if you start something I am unlikely to join in.
I did chop up the banana plant that became too large. I potted two pups which may or may not be surviving on my workshop bench. My Red Lion Amaryllis is only just shooting so that will be way behind. I also took 12 geranium cuttings a couple of months ago. 10 have survived but I shall buy new plants next year whether these live or die.
My problem is that I do not have anywhere with a little heat so plants struggle to survive; and we don't want them indoors......
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I do not have anywhere either to over winter anything and no plants arrive on the Island other than seasonal. I cannot necessarily just find something out of season.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I only have windowsills because of the dreaded slugs out side.

A couple of years ago I got a couple of damaged trays of geraniums with just 4 or 5 leaves, very small from the small supermarket next door. They loved the south facing bedroom windows, unfortunately I was going away for a month while they were at their best so I gave them all away. Since then I've seen sturdy little Fuchsias less than 6 inches tall being delivered to the garden centre in early spring, and that's what I would like.. I guess I'd better wait until a get a garden. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think it is fun for us to do our challenges. My only problem is that I always have only a small window of time to get any specific plant, can never guarantee that I'll get anything either unless a store brings it in and it lasts long enough for me to find it. Right now most of the Garden Centers are closed down. There is one that also has boutique stores open but he only has tropicals and the other one grows trees in fields & is busy selling Christmas trees.

I think it might be fun to have a tomato growing contest. Once tomatoes arrive everybody should have lots of them and they're fairly easy to grow.

I do NOT want to have a contest re: who can get an orchid to flower (as obviously I cannot ;) :td :td :td ) At least my orchids are not cooperating and I have no room to purchase another one and don't believe I will cause whilst I love them and they flower so long I can't get them to re-flower which is a bit frustrating.

I have my 1 begonia tuber and it already has an eye in it but I've got it packed away for spring. I also didn't like the way it grew and ended up ignoring it but who knows this year it may flower profusely.

I'm open for challenges - just need to know what they are (and I need to be able to get the plants or bulbs)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think I will try Coltness hybrid Dahlias from seed again. I grew them some years ago and put them in a very narrow border against the house walls. (I wonder why people do make these narrow borders, when you walk along the path you feel too close the the wall.)

They are pretty fool proof. Keep the slugs at bay and they will flower all summer and stay where they are in the winter ready for next spring. They are short and single or semi-double in lovely bright colours.

I think I'll use them in the Ibiza garden. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I did count my first venture into growing tomatoes a success this year. My daughter in law gave me 3 moneyspinner plants and I had a good yield. This is before they started ripening.

We like plum tomatoes and I have already bought a packet of seeds, Red Cherry, which is sitting on my desk so that I remember to get them going in March.
I would be happy to join a tomato challenge. :up
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My problem is I live alone and I no longer eat tomatoes.
:( 8838

In Luxor I grew as many different varieties as I could to compare their taste, habit and so on. I got the seeds from Thompson and Morgan.

The very small ones, yellow or red round, olive or pear shaped were voted favourite by the children who would eat them like sweets. The big beefsteak ones I like for sandwiches and the mis-shapen French ones are the tastiest for salsa.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since I've got the garden plots in I'll be growing tomatoes this summer. What I grow will depend on what varieties get brought in but 1 will be a small cherry type tomato and the other two varieties will be larger tomatoes. I've never done too well starting tomatoes from seed so will buy small ones already started. There is nothing in this world like the flavour of a fresh garden tomato!

Planting season here also depends on the weather. Usually May is the safest time for tomatoes going into the soil but really depends on how mild the winter is.

A tomato challenge would be good!