Sign of our times or ?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Sign of our times or ?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On the Island -

We have the capital of the Province in Victoria which is composed of quite a few municipalities on the south end of the Island. Pretty strong British influence, very much a tourist destination, big University & medical facilities and extremely expensive to live there.

A fellow was out walking his dog and saw three hoodied people stapling signs to lamp posts. As he walked by he saw the stapled paper signs said: "It is OK to be WHITE." Nothing else, just that one phrase. He reported this immediately and these paper signs have set off a firestorm of verbage and concern that this is nothing short of blatant racism.

Have been thinking on this and personally I can't see anything that is truly offensive OR am I missing something really big?

Thoughts?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Sign of our times or ?

Post by Grandad »

I see it as racist. If they are inferring that there are a lot of blacks and ethnic minorities in our community BUT it is still OK to be white; why didn't they say that.
My view is that this is a slanted racist comment and it would be seen as such here in the UK. :xx
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - interesting. I immediately thought of "Black Lives Matter" people and none of that is taken as racist so I was thinking tempest in a tea pot.

To date nobody has figured out how is posting these signs so nobody really knows the intent.

Right now here in Canada our PM is very actively verbally elaborating to anybody who listens that all of us "Old Stock Canadians" (all who came from Europe to settle Canada over the past 100 or so years) are, putting it delicately, "not nice people." I kinda figured it might have something to do with that but wouldn't have thought this sign as racist.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I kinda figured it might have something to do with that but wouldn't have thought this sign as racist.
Me neither, more a sign of the times when you are not supposed to have an opinion on anything or you are accused of being a racist.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

A pensioner who tooted her horn at a car driver in a petrol station who was faffing about and not moving on after getting her petrol, has found herself accused of a Hate Crime because the offending motorist decided that as she was black the old lady was guilty and called the Police.

The shocked old Lady was interviewed at length and is waiting to hear if any further action will be taken.

Crazy.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - what you describe is about how it is here now. Nobody can seem to say anything or voice any opinion about anything. If you do you run the risk of being charged with a Hate Crime or labelled as racist. Here there seems to be a very subtle yet pointed and directly implied social message "do not speak" because we all know that because you're white you're automatically a bigoted racist.

Different talking head newscasters are often now doing segments on either how white people are under attack OR accusing us of all manner of ills in the world implying we have caused them all.......this is also bringing out different vigilante types. None of what I'm starting to see or feel is good.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

There is another example of insanity going through in the UK at the moment where a police officer has been disciplined, placed on "restricted duties" & could potentially be fired for racism for saying during a briefing that the force must be seen to be "whiter than white"!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Absolutely typical. :(
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Fablux - IF anybody said that here "we need to be whiter than white" which I take to mean we need to be totally transparent in all that we do it would also set off a firestorm here as well.

Here in this political climate now most white people are just assumed to be White Supremacists and the taunt that goes out is that we're all Neo-Nazis. This label can be flung out over any simple comment.

It is like a world gone mad or something as observations I see & hear: i.e. 'whiter than white' or "It is Ok to be white" I don't even remotely attribute to racism at all however seems what I'm thinking isn't part of how these terms are now being taken.

The other phrase that is quite coming to annoy me is people here are referring to (white) people who have homes & jobs as "privileged" - ie 'You've had the privilege of having a job which has given you the privilege of owning a house' but the implication is that you have what you have simply and only because you're white.

I see it all as a very sad state.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It's almost as bad as the phrase "well you have been lucky" and yes they are correct :up The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get! ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The is a huge housing crisis here and we've had many who are now living on the streets in tents. Started about 2 years ago, granted organized by Activists, where a Tent City was formed on the grounds outside Parliament. Took months and court orders to get them to move. This entire past summer we've had "Discontent City" formed here (about 300 - 400 people) who steal, shop lift, drug and commit umpteen crimes daily. IF anybody offers any criticisms of this encampment (cost over $1 MILLION to clean up the garbage they left when moved off the Parliament lawns) you're immediately labelled as a Bigot, Racist, Entitled, Privileged and on and on - YET - NONE in this group work or do anything productive.

I think it is awful that Seniors are unable to afford rents now and there is minimal housing they can get into. They are a totally different category to these hordes of degenerates who do nothing other than smoke,snort,inject and rob anybody of anything they can get. None of them have ever heard of doing a days WORK yet constantly they all bemoan they have nothing and fling it in the face of anybody who has worked hard as simply having what they have cause they've been privileged to get a job AND only have what they have as obviously they've gotten it off the back of others!

It is angering to listen to these Activists carry on and essentially demean and insult anybody who has worked for a living. They often demand that all regular citizens should be "giving giving and giving" to all those living in Tents around here.

One new "theme" that is doing the rounds is that Seniors are often "OVER HOUSED" in that we have MORE HOUSE than we can use so IF we'd move in others they could do all sorts of work for us, be our friends, lend a helping hand blah blah blah. These Activists demands are in La La Land but sometimes here once an idea is floated out it takes hold.

Right now just started this last summer the Gov't here has put a tax onto anybody who might have a second property they are not renting out!!! Means if you own a summer cottage and only use it for a couple of months in the summer you either pay this TAX (or FINE) that is a couple thousand dollars OR you RENT it (and run the risk of having it trashed/thrashed with no guarantee anybody will move out!) The no guarantee that anybody will move out is also now Legislated as our Gov't cancelled all Contract Law regarding rentals. Means if you both signed a contract saying Tenant will live in your place January to August this contract is now invalid and the Tenant can opt to stay there for as long as they like. A Landlord cannot require anymore that anybody ever move out!

All extremely frustrating what is happening here.